I know, I hijacked the thread to ask about the promo ![]()
Alright! We’re still on for launching this week. While stress-testing some of the new code today, we realized that we need to add a BPM selector to the Standalone build. Additionally, we need to add save/load code for the BPM when saving and loading presets from Standalone (also, we’ll make it so presets saved when Battalion is in a DAW will write the current tempo to that field). Finally, we’ll need to resave Factory Presets to include the BPM. We’ll launch without the updated presets, but that will be in an early beta update.
Here’s Battalion running in Drambo, successfully loading one of DataBroth’s excellent presets including all of the samples.
About a month! Sorry I don’t have an exact date. We’re still new to this whole marketing thing.
I panicked and bought it anyway ![]()
Just as I’m trying to slim my plugins down to a sensible number…
How do we get onto the beta for this?
Download TestFlight on your device, wait for the link.
Battalion is on sale though now, right? I see it for €120 at the UA site compared to €200 at PA
Been waiting for the iOS version but a VST sale is enticing
It could drop at any moment now !!! ![]()
What plugins can you choose from with the buy battalion get any plugin free? It’s not clear
Any of them (except a second Battalion, which someone got away with and reported yesterday
). Just add the second plugin to your cart.
It really could!
https://forum.loopypro.com/discussion/64466/unfiltered-audio-battalion-public-beta/p1?new=1
Perfect timing as I have a few weeks off from my day job. I haven’t read the manual yet but is there a way to load presets without the sequence data ? And is there a way to clear the entire sequence of a pattern?
I think Sugar bytes Drum computer handles this well.
I’m really looking forward to diving into this . ![]()
Hey!
Is there any plans to release a “dedicated” controller to control this live? I am on my infinite quest to find a drum machine able to do dedicated improvised live sets, this seems like it. I would kill to have a dedicated controller, especially for the sequencer. Do you guys have any solution for this apart from mapping an elektron sequencer to the parameters? Thank you so much, Im loving it ![]()
![]()
I’ve had a lingering curiosity to see if we could add OSC support to every one of our plugins to enable cross modulation and controllers and such, but Mike’s less in love with the protocol and there’s both technical and design hurdles to that idea. I always thought of it as the plugin version of Sonic & Knuckles (to anyone old enough to get that reference). I imagine being able to drag the Silo buffer to Needlepoint and vice-versa some day. That’s separate and doesn’t require OSC, but that idea of more inter-plugin interaction. Perhaps an OSC in/out modulator in BYOME family, etc.
In the more immediate future, a pattern system on Battalion seems like a really cool way to quickly multiply its capability as a performance tool.
A big yes to patterns in the plug-in please and thank you
Hosting (in e.g. AUM) could allow you to create custom mappings to a controller.
Alternatively Loopy Pro allows you to build your own control surfaces which could be another solution.
That’s a good point- this is a UX/UI area we should improve for iOS specifically. On Desktop you can hold option on Mac and whatever is the equivalent on Windows when clicking the “X” clear button on the sequencer page. This clears all control rows, not just the currently selected. Basically if I have a preset I like but I want to clear a bunch of stuff I’ll just hold command or alt and click everywhere to quickly blank the scene. On iOS… maybe we should have the “X” click and hold to become selected, which would be a “delete mode” in which you could touch anything you wanted to remove. This is a correlate to “lock mode” which is iOS specific and fills in for right-click to lock on desktop. That’s not the greatest system in the world but would do the job. People on desktop have asked for a faster clear-all.
There’s some workflow room for improvement like that in general, for instance when you randomize it also adds modulation offsets and goes too quickly into experimental territory. As there’s not a way to quickly see the modulation matrix or clear it that has its own problems. Sometimes cool problems, but definitely not always cool. Battalion seems to be craving a more selective style of randomization (“serendipity engine”) which has been talked about and pondered quite a bit between the two of us and also our crew, but not implemented. Always open to public brainstorms if people had thoughts.
I could see a randomization tab where you can hit specific drums with or without modulation, or maybe randomize a drum but morph via slider back to the original setting or any place in-between. We actually do maintain a “last intentionally set value” internally which would allow for morph. It’s how we allow for “drift prevention” for instance when you load a preset on LO-FI-AF, set the randomization to 5%, then can randomize around the preset but always within 5% of the original settings.
Thanks for the detailed response. I’m looking forward to spending more time learning and playing with battalion. I think paired with my Digitakt I’ll have endless possibilities.
Trying out the iOS beta. The one thing I’m a bit confused about is it seems you can’t create multiple patterns in this per preset which you can switch between? So it’s a ‘one and done’ in the sequencer per song/preset? That seems a bit… weird for a drum sequencer. Everything else is amazing.
Obviously you can switch things around live with the performance page, but I was expecting Pattern 1, Pattern 2 etc like in most other drum machines with sequencers. If I’m creating a song in a DAW and am using Battalion’s own sequencer in its AUv3 version, I would be expecting to switch patterns during the song.
Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but I couldn’t see pattern switch mentioned in the manual.
Hi! Thanks for the great app. The beta seems pretty promising! A lot to learn hehe! And no bugs yet!
I don’t have any solution, but it would be great indeed if there would be some randomization scale. I find most randomizations interesting, but a bit hard to use if I just want to jam around without tweaking too much.
I find Playbeat 4 very approachable in this sense. The beats that come out of the randomize button are usually immediatly usable and there is a slider that controls the complexity. I guess one of the reason the beats often work is also the possibility to select a genre for said randomization.
It would be nice to have a bit more immediacy combined with the great tweakabilty and sounds of Battalion.
Anyone found a way to set user sample folder ?
