Unfiltered Audio - Battalion (soft drum synth)

Hard to say :laughing:

In a way, it’s been in development since Euro Reakt (about eight years ago) since some of the drum engines started life as modules there. I started more full-time development on the plugin itself shortly before Syntakt came out. It probably would have been out a lot sooner but Syntakt definitely changed a lot of personal goals that I had for the project.

Richard sent me this video a few hours ago and I couldn’t believe how much mileage he’s gotten out of this so far:

28 Likes

Richard wastes no time! sick. congrats! i grabbed it immediately “oh shit… it’s the thing! it’s done!”

2 Likes

Hell yeah

9 Likes

This looks pretty cool. I’ve always enjoyed the Elektron “engine + macro knob” model for drum synthesis and was surprised that there’s nothing much like that in software. Will definitely demo this. The loyalty offer of $99 with free Lion seems quite good.

1 Like

…hmmmpf…not if u bought lion at full prize when it was brandnew…

same goes for all my other unfiltered audio pligins…always paid full price…damn…

but if u got no lion synth yet, it’s an absolute no brainer for sure…
they’re both truu new sonic terretory…

1 Like

seems like a proper contender for this thread, lots of overlap with rytm here and it sounds pretty good, not sure how deep the sequencer is, nonetheless 8 tracks synth+samples with global fx sounds pretty dope. maybe @CCMP would be interested

1 Like

I guess you could presumably sell one Lion licence? Do PA allow that? But yeah such is life, sometimes you get a great deal and sometimes you miss out!

Just demoed this for a bit. Fairly impressed immediately with the UI / overall sound.

Time to torture test it with some extreme modulations from Bitwig.

2 Likes

I already have a Lion licence and I am seeing it offered to me for $99, not sure if that is the reason.
Its tempting, but I also know if I wait 6 months it will be $49 then eventually $29 so it will be hard to pull the trigger…unless the demo blows me away…

2 Likes

I did that but the demo crashes a lot. Hope for a more stable version soon.

1 Like

Ah damn that’s no good. Where’s it crashing and what’s going on when it crashes? Could you write us through our support form? Support – Unfiltered Audio We haven’t had hard crashes in a while, so let me know your DAW, operating system, etc. and we’ll get on it.

Awesome sound demo up there, BTW.

3 Likes

That big Variation knob and entire Perform page with Randomize button are just fire! I’m so excited and inspired :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok thanks, I’ll do this

Crikey, that sounds good. Like a crazy modern spectral Machinedrum…

5 Likes

I was able to crash it just now by dragging the steps knob on the perform page

Since going all hardware for my music creation a couple of years a go this is the first SW product I’ve seen that has made me go hmmmmm

2 Likes

OK, had a good play with the demo. Its very good indeed…a bit Tremor/Drumcomputer but with way more going on…lots of drum engines, variation control is very clever, good fx, good sequencer (if a little weird with the very small places to program the actual patterns!). Great modulation options and performance page seems very comprehensive as well…

Drum machines seem to have gone up a level lately with this and Triaz and I definitely will get it once the price drops a bit.

1 Like

This is really cool so far @trickyflemming, congrats. I’m impressed, feels like you’ve brought Elektron DNA to a plugin. A few feature requests that I think would make me buy this if they could be added, as I feel like randomization is a core part of what makes this cool and unique to me:

• It would be nice to have the randomization amount slider always visible, rather than hidden in settings. I feel like I want to change this quite often and the extra click is off-putting, maybe it could go along the bottom next to the page buttons for example? Honestly this would be the most useful change for me!
  • I’d love to be able to have more options to randomize the sequence, for example:
    • Randomize the steps on/off state (I can’t see a way to do this, maybe I’m missing it)
    • Randomize every lane, but just for the current sound
    • Randomize every lane, for every sound (maybe on the All page?)
    • Randomize euclidian pattern parameters
    • Randomize probability, but only resulting in negative values, for when I don’t want ratchet at all in my pattern
  • The “randomize all” button so frequently results in just random noise. It would be nice to be able to tame it. Does it follow the randomization amount? Even at small amounts, a nice pattern quickly descends into noisy chaos. Maybe a few randomize all modes would be cool, like “only sequence”, “only engines”, etc… I really love randomness when it works well haha

A few other things that came to mind as I played (this list is getting long, but that’s a sign that the plugin is really close to perfect haha):

• Reverb/Delay controls on the performance page would be great (love this page btw, very Elektron feeling!)
  • It would be super cool to have multiple different engines for each type of drum (Kick etc), in the style of the Rytm/Syntakt. Obviously that’s a lot of work so I totally understand if that’s not realistic but it would be amazing :grin:
  • Preset saving seems weird? It tries to save a file on the file system, which then doesn’t show up in user presets. Maybe the place it’s saving is wrong?
  • There aren’t many factory drum presets. More starting points would be nice.
  • Being able to sidechain tracks would be cool :thinking:
7 Likes

Where do you find the demo? I might be blind, but…

You can install the Plugin Alliance Installation Manager tool and get it from there, it’s a 14 day trial

1 Like