2023... What's the Closest Software/Plugin Equivalent to the Analog Rytm

Can anyone recommend a good software drum synth that’ll allow me to get Rytm/Syntakt type sounds (not seq) on my laptop?

I’ve got DrumComputer, which I really like, but it’s kinda it’s own thing, it’s quirky… not solid like my Rytm.
I really like the Akai MPC Drum Synth engines, but I can’t access/control them direct enough in Ableton (as they reside inside the main MPC plugin, I can’t ‘macro’ them).

I’ve got the Ableton M4L drum synths, which are ok, but I’m not into the interfaces/vibe of them.

1 Like

No…

2 Likes

Sequencing with Ableton and using Overbridge with your Rytm kind of ticks that box

3 Likes

It doesn’t tick the portability box though.

It’d be amazing if Elektron ever followed Korg and Arturia’s example of making SW versions of their hardware… if I had the Syntakt digi engines in SW form I’d be happy.

2 Likes

…the old time classic vst drum synth…microtonique…by sonic charge…

it’s the closest as it could get when it comes to swedish hw comparison…
it’s unique, dead simple AND super complex at once, extremly versatile and way longer than a decade already pretty unchanged in the game…

sounds always fresh and timeless…
has netherland roots and it’s slim coding was even “copied” and licensed by teenage engineering once and ever since…u can’t get any closer to swedish mindset than with this little beast…still unbeatable…also in 2023.

and in case u don’t like it’s looks, u can pick “urs” from various gui skins…

32 Likes

You could try VCV rack? Lots of options there whether it is emulating analogue sounds or all sorts of digital synthesis options with all the modulation you could throw at them.

I’d have a look at that.

5 Likes

Microtonic is the best.

Go check out Patternarium to hear Microtonic in action. Then check out the demo. Or just sample Patternarium.

5 Likes

didn’t the digitone developer design a plugin!? this should be pretty good for plugin fans.

1 Like
14 Likes

…sadly, this is max for live exclusive…
but @ess is working on it, to give this little piece of magic code to all the others, too…
don’t u…?.. :wink:

may the fors be with all of us…this is the way… :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I’ve been searching for something like this.

It really doesn’t make sense that there are so few drum synth VSTs.

I found Stix to be pretty good. The UI is not great through.

The built in drum synths in Maschine are ok.

+1 for Microtonique.

+1 for Opal - it is a crazy M4L device and might be the best one ever…

You could also use synths to make drum noises if you are after less traditional sounds. A Sh-101 emulation might do a lot of what you are after.

1 Like

Opal looks great, but not what I’m after and it looks way beyond being a drum synth.

I’m going to check out Microtonic.

I realised I had Arturia’s Spark earlier too, I’ve never dug into it, but it has some decent engines to let you carve out your own sounds.

Has anybody got/used Heartbeat by Softube?

I’ve said it before but drumspillage is the best drum vst by far imo, but it’s Mac only unfortunately. Amazing interface and sound. The first big update for it in a while is supposedly planned to come out soon, too. If you’re on a Mac computer definitely check it out OP.

Very good indeed, but the updates never saw the light of day. The developper announced version 2.5 years ago and we never saw it. He wrote a blog article stating that he was working on an update to make it M1 compatible, but this remains to be seen. If I were the OP, I would wait before buying audiospillage.

Also, audiospillage does not have a sequencer, which may or may not be detrimental.

Microtonic is simply classic and has certainly been used in many professional productions. you certainly can’t go wrong with this. amazing that it still exists. I remember that from way back when.

it’s sort of like sound toys, for example. High quality plugins that just don’t die out and are hardly beaten.

3 Likes

It feels wrong paying $99 for a 15 year old plugin.

I paid 1700€ for a 15 year old digital synth, and I would do it again any time without even thinking.
If someone wrote a piece of software, that is still so usable and unique 15 years later, that people would buy it over modern ones, he should get as much money for it, as he would get if it was released today.

13 Likes

You are totally right of course.

I think we are just conditioned to think otherwise!

1 Like

Yeah, same with hardware magically getting worse and not meeting our exceptions anymore the moment something new and shiny is released.

1 Like