Unable to record in PB AT MW to MIDI Tracks of Digis

recently, I have been working on the digi trinity setup, as a longtime elektron machine user, I m new to digi boxes, long time to use ot, I have no idea why digi box sequencer just Doesn’t react to PB MW AT

What a unique problem!

After hard times to trying and reading manual and forum, I finally found the truth:
the synth part(sound generator) of ST and DN do reacting to those midi message, and in the sound setting menu, you could even setting use those midi messages control multiple parameters, that is great, and by use an input midi controller, user can play live with those midi messages, you just couldn’t record them to sequencer, because elektron sequencer use p-lock to handle parameters automation, no relevant data knob cause there are no place to record those midi messages.
DT sound generator doesn’t actually work on those messages, because samples engine do not handle these messages , and sound of DT have sound setting menu, hope elektron update this, that is a shame that dt doesn’t have a sound setting menu, since dt is a very good monophonic wave cycle synth!

this is the sad but true saturation of synth tracks! I can live with it! Not perfect, but I understand the reason.

But!
But!
But!

The midi track!
Let us see picture

MIDI source page do have 4 parameters place label to PB MW AT BC
But it
Do……
Nothing……
To……
Income………
Midi…….
Message………
Of………
PB MW AT BC………

Are you kidding! Elektron gentlemen!
Please fix this!
Do not use technical excuses!
The midi track of OT does things perfectly!

4 Likes

In b4 program change ! :grin:

2 Likes

To my understanding of what is described here, what you are describing is not a MIDI issue. The issue is that in general, PB/MW/AT cannot be live recorded. This is especially known on the Digitone Keys for example, which has native controls for PB/MW/AT.

I agree, it’s disappointing.

3 Likes

Correct. They can be plocked. But not live recorded. Which isnt very good really.

Dunno if its worth a forum rant, shouting into the void like.

3 Likes

Have you submitted a support ticket or feature request to Electron?

Because ranting on here isn’t going to fix it.

6 Likes

I m talking about 2 things:

1. Synth track unable to recording those
  2. Midi tracks do have the possibility to recording those, but even didn’t react to

The 2nd one about midi track really disappointed!

I will do that!
I post here for woke more user submitted a support ticket or feature request to them, maybe they will thinking about fix it

1 Like

As much as I love my DT, I’ve experienced similar woes when it comes to pitch bend and mod wheel messages. I wouldn’t mind them not being recorded if they at least were passed through from MIDI in to MIDI out, but they are completely filtered out by the DT. I’m often live playing my synths with a Keystep with lots of pitch bend so I end up having to avoid the DT completely for this MIDI connection.

3 Likes

Have you tried with more exclamation marks?

8 Likes

You should try Octatrack! The real midi central of elektron box, PB MW could be played and recorded in midi track.

according to @sezare56 in the recent thread:

where here he is referring to ableton, but this is not ableton specific information. I haven’t tried it yet, but you can see that maybe there is a way to pass the midi cc data which is just not yet envisioned.

a lot of unnecessary hurt feelings about gear and midi potential can be avoided just by searching a bit and I hope this works for you.

4 Likes

I agree that this PBATMWBC behavior is unacceptable in 2023. Are Digis still relevant ? :content:

9 Likes

This goes all the way back to the sfx6 ps

1 Like

Exactly. I don’t know how much incentive they would have to fix a “problem” that helps separate the top-tier OT sequencer from the lower Digi line. It’s kinda like complaining that the DT has mono sampling versus the OT being stereo…
Also, if you have an OT, why not use that to record those midi messages?

If we are talking about midi tracks I’m in! I just figured out I can control not only pedals but also the 404MKII’s EFXs from my DN. Mind blown!!

This!
Is!
Awesome!

1 Like

I just want to use digi trinity setup, I use ot with my mnm and md, or analog duo.
Since os1.50, I am beginning to believe dt was the small one “pillar of the performance”, but reality beat me hardly! So far, dt has long way to go to catch up immortal ot!

After they release the new star ST, dt has to face a awkward position as a one shot sampler and drum machine, maybe elektron has realize that, so we got 1.50

Yep, around $700 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

6 Likes

Beat me to it

3 Likes

I don think elektron should limits those basic functions to divide the product line and protection the ot’s primary position, ot has lot of features: real time sampling and playback, looper, effects chain, x-fader……those things we don’t expect dt to catch up, but limit PB and MW?
It’s like Benz want to increase the sell of S-line, so they decided to cancel the Rearview mirror of C line.

1 Like