Ultimate Bassline Weapon

yes i think so.
taking my 4 voice patch as an example for simple additive approach with the perfourmer : the patch is huge because i want to, but as i have total control on each voice, volume envelopes, panning ect …i can make it sit exactly where i want.

i think it works actually much better like this than summing 3 or 4 oscillator before hitting a filter hard and trying to calm down everything while having the tone you want.
here you have more control

2 Likes

Yeah I like to do this kind of setup with 4 osc.
A cool thing to do also is to make one voice with very short decay and triangle or square wave. When you play the first note everything will play but if you don’t release the note and play another one, just the voices with sustain will play and not the one with just short decay and no sustain, so you can have some groovy bassline with kind of accent triggering 4 or 3 osc depending on how you play.

3 Likes

i will try and experiment. thanks!
what effects do you use with the performer, for a bass patch (to stay on topic)?
i’d love a stereo analog delay like the one on the Matriarch :yum:

1 Like

I keep the bassline raw most of the time. But if it’s more medium bass or lead I love to add Valhalla Supermassive on it.

1 Like

I agree. The DB-01, with its quick envelopes, can do nice rolling basslines. it gets maligned unfairly by those youtube clips that only show its distorted side. it’s honestly such a great little bass synth. I can’t keep it out of my main setup.

1 Like

Quite a different vibe from the Db-01, my other favorite tool for bass is a Boomstar. For bowel-shaking bass, nothing beats a Boomstar, particularly the 5089, but any of them will do. The only problem for me with the Boomstars is that i’m paralyzed with joy every time i play with one, so i never end up getting anything done.

3 Likes

the boomstars look really cool. Never had considered them.

2 Likes

They’re pricey but well-made. And they fly under the radar for some reason. I don’t know why Boomstars don’t get more love.

1 Like

The prices are heavy for sure

1 Like

Yep, Boomstars are seriously good. I’ve got (and mentioned ages ago in this thread) the SE80 which is my secret weapon. I have the SEM too, which is more refined and also brilliant. Both are great analog mono weapons, they serve me really well for all manner of sound design. The new prices are eye-watering, but second hand they can be a bit of a bargain.

2 Likes

Also, if you call Studio Electronics directly, they usually knock a significant chunk off the price. It’s a small company and they are amazing guys. Imagine being able to call Roland and chat with one of the people who designed and built your synth. that’s how it is with SE. Cool dudes.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, for sure, I’ve spoken with them via Insta and they’re lovely!

1 Like

I was convinced I should get a Minitaur, but I finally took a look at the KORG monologue and realized it has everything I want. It’s probably not the ULTIMATE BASSLINE WEAPON and it’s a little big for my space (even though it is pretty compact), but even though it just arrived today I already love the noises coming out of it. I think it’s going to be the perfect companion to my Model:Samples on drum and sample duty and my OP-Z as sequencer.

5 Likes

I miss my little monologue, great synth.

1 Like

Monologue is a low-key beast. So much fun to play, love how it can go to absolute mayhem in a second with the audio rate LFO. I find it great on bread’n’butter bassline duty too, its got a lot of punch and weight to it. Enjoy!

Actually, I’d like to mention that in some cases Fender Jazz Bass is the ultimate tool for me, sound fuller and “groovier” than synth bass. Depends… Even if one can’t play bass guitar, samples are all around the internet…

5 Likes

So here we go…
Vintage Bass Synth Holy Trinity!

Minimoog father, SH2 son, and Pro One the holy spirit…

but also there’s an unholy beast - MS20

: )

3 Likes

One of these and some fingers

10 Likes

Does it come with its own sequencer?

2 Likes

Yup. Between the right and left hands. No quantize tho… :sunglasses:

To be fair It has got a balanced output…

2 Likes