So, I want a dedicated bass synth

…Or Berhinger MS-01 if you have space

1 Like

The DB-01 responds to MIDI note on, note off, and clock. If you crank the VCA open, you can play notes of whatever length you want. Otherwise the envelope covers a single step. It’s not as limited as the demos make it sound, but it is a particular voice. The sub is quite nice.

2 Likes

I’d go this route if you didn’t like the Minitaur, want knob-per function, and a compact desktop unit. I use my Perfourmer for bass all the time and it’s excellent at it (and Lancet is basically the same as one Perfourmer voice).

2 Likes

Novation Bass Station2?

11 Likes

I’d also check out the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1b. It has some of the most girthy tones I’ve heard. I know it’s a bit pricier than what’s been recommended but with semi-modular capabilities it does offer quite a bit.

4 Likes

over 200 posts :+1:

13 Likes

Yo… Just throw some Jaco and some Bootsy samples in the Digitakt and call it a day. Dave Blood from The Dead Milkmen could be added as well. Boom I just saved you some cash…

12 Likes

I love the Mono Lancet for bass duties. It keeps more low end frequencies when adding resonance than the Minitaur. It’s great for classic lead sounds as well.

4 Likes

Lot of great suggestions here, thank you all!

Sounds like I need to look closer at the Mono Lancet, SH-01A and maybe Hades.

And I’ll check the other thread that came up as well. :slight_smile:

Fender P-Bass! :joy:

+1 for Minitaur

6 Likes

Dreadbox Typhon

1 Like

DSI Mopho

1 Like

+1 for Typhon

I use a Minitaur too, which is (to me) probably a bit fatter and warmer overall. But the resonance sapping the low end is not always ideal.

Typhon stays strong with high resonance! Built in distortion fx don’t hurt either…

This.

I have my bass guitar sampled into a DT and it gets used all the time.

1 Like

I find this very useful to make it sit well in the mix (just a little clockwise).

5 Likes

I’m totally with you. It can be perfect in lots of instances.
I love it too for tenor-ish lead duties.

1 Like

Geez, can O’ worms topic for sure, chuckle. Um… I really enjoy the use of bass, however the filter does cut bass as well in the Moog Sub Phatty. But I use it, love it, you know, wasn’t convinced about Moog from demo’s, could pull most of what I heard at least relatively close to what I thought of as impressive bass, but then heard the thing in person and was like, well now I know what all the fuss is about. So, I don’t know what you need with what you say, but this does aZid, just drop the filter to 6db and crank the mixers into overdrive and then go ahead and throw in the multidrive for added roar. Or of course you go classic 24db and bass all day on whatever your cranking accept yes when you drive the resonance.

Shruthi is really nice sounding and very affordable. Not quite knob per function though. I love mine for bass duties

3 Likes

I’ve had a bunch of small desktop and short keyboard monosynths both analog and digital.

Bang for buck is no doubt the Bass Station 2. It’s mostly knob per function and super versatile.

I’ve had a Mopho and a Minitaur. The BS2 sits somewhere in the middle in terms of complexity. As always sound is subjective.

3 Likes

I can highly recommend the Vermona Mono Lancet. Great, versatile sound, powerful bass when you want it, very straightforward operation and built like a tank.

2 Likes