Ultimate Bassline Weapon

Another vote for Typhon,
but Pro 2 is quite good as well.
Having those digital OSCs to give a little more bite is not to be underrated. The HPF with dedicated envelope is great for taking a bassline into lead territory quickly as well.
I like getting bassline sounds out of it that are a bit more atypical…

7 Likes

Does it count for Jamuary.

1 Like

I have one too and just wanted to say that i am not disappointed. Sometimes i run it through effect pedals and get pretty good basslines.

1 Like

Had an ATC-X many years back… can’t believe I let it go, but completely lost interest in music and gear at the time. If they produced them again I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

I’ve owned both. Would like both again. The Typhon does great bass, and has AMAZING effects. The UI is nice. The sequencer is fine, but less immediate than the DB-01. The DB-01 is probably just a touch better for thick bass sounds, and the sequencer is definitely more hands on.

I think they’d actually make a great pair, and just add percussion.

4 Likes

I often thought about adding a db01 to my typhon, but unfortunately 99% of the db01 demos are with resonance cranked all the way up… I know it’s called acid and it’s cool, but it’s definitely not my cup of tea… so I’m actually not sure if I like the sound of the db01 since I can’t hear any demos. And the few demos without resonance are played in C6 or C7 so yeah… not bass territory…

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

It can do clean, bouncy bass just fine. I don’t know why people just crank everything in all the demos. It’s a beautiful sounding synth. Even when it gets nasty though it’s still musical in person, more-so than many of the demos would have you believe. It’s not squishy-squelchy like a 303, but it can be very tame, warm, but clean too. I really do want another one. I miss it.

2 Likes

maybe check out this free sample pack first. there’s no room in my life for another box like this (and at that price), but the db-01 does seem nice.

3 Likes

Thanks @Tchu, bonne année si possible !
Could you make something much wilder, acid, with single saw waveform, very high resonance? Push everything up! :loopy:

C’est pas sympa ça de me convaincre comme ça ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Bonne année si possible aussi !

I’m also after huge analog kicks. Probably with TRI waveform, fast pitch attack? Examples ?

1 Like

Good, but I think I’ll reserve its voices for pads or chord’ish things, and that I’d prefer an analog thing for dirty / fat analog bass / acid lead duties, maybe ambient stuff wirh its apparently good reverb…

2 Likes

Again MicroFreak was just updated with v3 including 3 new OSC from Noise Engineering and the 3 of them have solved the lack of low-end.

2 Likes

I use a combination of SH101, Odyssey and DFAM, sometimes playing the same note over the 5 oscillators.
Used to have a Minitaur and a Subsequent 37, I think the DFAM does a great Moog bass, unfortunately no LFO though.

2 Likes

Erica Bassline

1 Like

Je désolé et bonne année à toi aussi !

I’ve not tried the Typhon for kicks as yet; will investigate soon !

1 Like

hello, i absolutely love my Perfourmer mk2 for that too.

yesterday i tried to get a deep bass using a triangle wave, sine as a sub, and 2 hi freq saws panned left and right. kind of additive style.
Oh my god that sound…substantial…wonderfull!

2 Likes

Motas-6 is my go to for bass and is the best thing I’ve owned so far for it, It’s actually easy to end up with too much sub if you’re not careful, luckily there’s a hpf that can be put before the lpf’s if it ever becomes an issue.

FM synthesis somehow is capable of making really tight / solid sounding bass so that’s another favorite for me, The Motas is great here again in that it’s capable of proper Yamaha style FM (phase modulation) so you can get that solid bass while it also having that lovely analog richness.

I spent the other night sampling some good bass sounds from the Motas and put in my Volca sample and now it too is an incredible instrument for bass, I was actually surprised at how nice they sounded on the Volca, it sounds a bit different than the original patch but really nice in its own way.

Does that leave space for other sounds? Does it sit well in the mix?

1 Like

When you want to turn a fat bassline into a phat bassline

5 Likes