Ultimate Bassline Weapon

WoW WAL! )

1 Like

That’s not bad either : )

2 Likes

1985 MK1 custom. Mahogany core and wenge facings. Maple neck and ebony fretboard.

2 Likes

I remember Mick Karn from Japan played one during the whole career.
That’s how I learned about it and want a freetless Wal since… costs like 10000$ I believe…

2 Likes

Yeah they were very popular in the mid to late 80’s. I know Mick Karn played one and I believe a few other luminaries had them too.

I picked mine up in the 90’s before the prices went silly. It’s very roadworn, no museum piece but they’re there to be played, not admired.

Weighs a F**kin’ ton tho! You know about it when you’ve played it for a full gig!

3 Likes

Really serious bass weapon here:

Maybe it is actually that ultimate bass weapon we were searching for here : )

1 Like

That’s a sweet looking banjo.

1 Like

Yeah, true… such a gem has to be played, recorded etc… just live a full beautiful guitar life… But I wouldn’t mind to have one covered somewhere in studio even if I don’t play very well and just record some basslines to some tracks from time to time, or if someone requests. Should be killer pro tone…

1 Like

If you’ve got the time and money you can still order one and have it custom built.

1 Like

I run my Digitone into a Numark battle mixer with the bass pumped up and run my analog kick drum with long sustain into a cheap overdrive pedal…I honestly have a destructive amount of bass, way too much…but seriously if you have a bass heavy synth try running it through a dj mixer for more boom in your room

1 Like

Synth - moog grandmother is really delivering for me.

Bass guitar - for you Wal fans, check out a US made G&L L2000. Its an amazing bass that gets eerily similar tones.

5 Likes

What do you guys say about Nord 2x / 3 / 4 /A1 or even old micro modular, are they good as bass machines?

@Tajnost - I saw a Gentleman’s Dub Club gig where they played all the bass on a Nord :man_shrugging:t3:

I like my Digitone for bass duties. Of course it does classic fm bass patches but I often just use the sinewave with the distortion and a sprinkle of fm modulation.

1 Like

Sub37

not bad :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

+1 for the SE-02. Such a huge sound for such a tiny box. The cross-mod stuff allows you to get really interesting timbres as well, meaning it can sound somewhat ‘complete’ with little to no post-processing.

1 Like

…no matter what ur source might be…

it all comes down to the TWO ESSENTIALS…

eq’ing and compression…
once u know what ur doing with these, ur able to punch, growl, rumble…
in the sub end…the low end and the low mids…
all that makes basslines. a weapon…

2 Likes

At the moment it has to be my intellijel Atlantis, being and sh101 clone with some added bells and whistles, it plays great with my endorphines furthrr generator.

I also play bass and I’m in the process of getting my hands on just a fender jazz bass, I’d love to say an American, but my budget is around £500 so a simple ‘players’ Mexican is looking more likely. Still after playing for 20 years, I love the weight, shape, action and of course the sound. It fits in any mix, band or session and you can get some amazing tonality with a bit of distortion. Used to be able to make the venue rattle when I played in my old doom/psyche band with a decent distortion and my ashdown combo.

Equally, my longest running on and off band since we were school kids started as a punk band and over teenage years became sonic youth/my bloody Valentine obsessed until we found out we loved play fast, dynamic shoegaze with the bass being right up front with the guitar. Tempted to buy a mustang bass to go with my guitar, and I like the offset body, but I’d need to hear it next to the original jazz….

Finally I’m gunning for a proper baritone guitar, I used to have a gretsch which I stupidly sold, now they’re difficult to find….but I’ve discovered a fender telecaster baritone which sounds incredible. Playing 2 Oct lower in drop b, you can get some serious low end.

2 Likes

Not in my opinion. They are good at many other things though…

1 Like

…er, well…and in my opinion…the most accurate lowend i get from synth are happening with the moog taurus…and yep…the nord rack 2…
while the digitone did also not too bad…
it’s a neverending question…really…
if ur compression and equing does’nt catch and match up…it won’t do the trick…

there is no ONE ultimate bassline weapon…
there’s only good mixes and good arrangements…

3 Likes