UDO Audio Super 6 Binaural Synth

Roland doesn’t have any issue with the engineering. Finding consistent components that would scale without them doing a similar Behringer CoolAudio investment, i imagine would be more risky than using DSP.

I just wish they did more SE-01 style collabs.

2 Likes

Yeah agreed, I think this could be a modern classic, loved the initial videos… I just picked up another poly that I got at a real good deal so I won’t be an initial purchaser… this could eventually replace that though…

Also I love that style of pitch bend

1 Like

Lots of John Carpenter sweetspots.
Just wish I had a couple of grand…

7 Likes

Awesome, I just wish he would demonstrate some more nuanced, darker patches. There’s a lot of over-the-top, bright, synth-cheese sounds.

1 Like

Some real progress with this – very sonically distinct. The filters can be so pure with this especially for analog filters. Feels to me that the mono-aftertouch keybed is a step behind the rest of this synth. Keybed technology seems to be the hot thing this year.

I really like the idea of the „init patch“ that is already a something, rather than a sound being the end of a process, one here goes from sound to sound. I am always admiring technology that is someone’s dream come true, realised with that passion.

7 Likes

I never really pay much attention to stuff like poly afetrtouch and fancy keybeds. Not good enough a player to make use of it.
It’s a fair point though, for that price I guess you’d expect at least a similar keybed to its competitors.

1 Like

I guess something else i should have said in my last post was how extraordinary the digital part of this synth sounds as well. There’s no short-changing with that.
It’s also about how fluid the one to one controls are with this – and i understand too how George was sometimes a little surprised with the sonic spaces he suddenly got to.

1 Like

Yep, there’s no escaping that this sounds very special. No room. No budget. Keep telling myself…

This is my pick when I buy a synth end of next year. Like the hydra synth but this seems like something you can just switch on and play.

I still can’t my mind up about this. I had a long play on one back at Synthfest & George is a lovely guy - great to talk to. And whilst it sounds really really impressive & is doing some innovative stuff, I think ultimately it’s a bit too clean & ‘stable’ for me - I like polysynths to ‘wander around’ a bit - like old Obies, the Jupiter 4 etc… I guess it’s just not serving up any vintage mojo.

This is fine of course - it’s just not for me. I am looking for a poly though… Sort of hoping that Moog do something with their Matriarch concept, but as a true 6 voice poly, sans patch points, delay etc… Just a good meat & potoatoes polysynth that’s under about £6k :sweat_smile:

Tried a Prophet 6? Love mine.

3 Likes

:rofl: Nik: “Binaural? Is it just stereo?”

1 Like

yes - nice synth… the OB-6 even more so - almost the sort of vibe I’m after… but still not quite

Kijimi, Xerxes or Deckards?

1 Like

yes - Kijimi & Xerxes are both on my watchlist… probably the Xerxes as I always wanted a Synthex…& from the demos I’ve heard the Xerxes sounds pretty stellar…

Biding my time though, as this isn’t an imminent requirement, it’s a “some point in the next 12-18 months” type thing really, which is a nice place to be. I’m just trying to keep abreast of all the polysynths in the approx £3k area really.

Unless of course I happend to spot a nice Jupiter 4…though I have sworn off buying vintage after selling all my old vintage ( nearly ) a few years ago…

1 Like

I have a Deckards, and the odd bug here and there aside, it’s wonderful. Kijimi and Xerxes both look great though - I’m just £7k short at the minute :joy:

1 Like

Not that I can afford it right now but the UDO Super 6 at least to my ears listening to youtubes on a crappy monitor, is sonically the synth of the year.

3 Likes

I couldn’t help but laugh at the amount of times Nick was asking the guy something and he was just jamming out and ignoring him. His face was hilarious.

8 Likes

This is pretty amazing! His performance is extraordinary, I think. This synths is special in the way playing it takes you from sound to sound with just the panel, not switching patches, no display etc. Love it.

2 Likes