UDO Audio Super 6 Binaural Synth

Yeah it feels in line with a P6, OB6, or a vintage roland in that sort of its a massive sweet spot so you really can feel safe to just sound design as you play with it. Price wise for the voice count it seems pretty well in line with other machines with that ethos also. But it really does bring a modern sort of sound to the table. From what I have heard I feel like it is kind of undeniably lovely but also I don’t think it would fit what I am doing personally, which I wonder if that is going to be the case with many people… maybe it is just the demos so far but it just screams cinematic a bit too much for what I would want.

2 Likes

The most impressive thing about that demo, Nick didn’t even want to hear the PWM.
And… maybe?

3 Likes

Nick, asking 4 times about the LFO’s tracking keyboard :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah that got me as well :smiley:

Is it just me, or does the very nature of this synth spell H E L L for an audio engineer trying to get rid of phase issues in the stereo field?

I mean, isn’t the Super 6 asking for phase issues all over the board? Or am I just overthinking it?

This from George Hearn of Udo on Gearslutz:

Hi and thanks for your question. When pulling out the right jack, the synth signal sums to mono on the left jack. This allows us to test the mono output on all of our patches. They do not sound the same of course, but some of the fears about phase cancellation can be mitigated because left and right oscillators are not detuned relative to eachother in binaural mode, only their partials are dephased, this results in amplitude change when mixing left and right and will change the sound, but to our ears it is still nice. This is a bit different for the filter self oscillating resonance that can be detuned left to right with the LR phase control. This has a tendency then to ‘beat’ on some patches, however to my ears at least this is often quite nice.

3 Likes

Neither more nor less than any other stereo signal or effect you use in your mix.

But yeah, it’s not the go-to synth for your next club banger, or for songs you expect most people to listen to on mobile phone speakers! :wink:

This synth is great, ill get one :star_struck: hmm in 3 months? If ill be still alive and on the list :rofl: but yeah, like how it sounds and all

Yeah, well, when a stereo source is well recorded it shouldn’t have too many phase issues, but this synth seems to be made for the beating effects of stereo phasing, which is cool but begs for problems if you’re not treating it with respect.

This is not critique! I’m just curious about the topic. I’m also convinced that the people that actually buy this premium product are well aware of the pitfalls of making an entire track with superfat chorus-ished tracks all over the place. With simple clever writing however, I think the Super 6 could flesh out a track by its own! I mean, it does sound huge!

In comparison, I think DSI synths have one of the best implementations for width actually. It’s so simple really, they just pan each note left or right with every press of a key. With different pitches on either side, you avoid cancellation. Back when the P08 was new, it blew my mind how a dry synth track could be so all over the place with a simple stereo pan knob :stuck_out_tongue:

And thanks Zeropoint for the quote! I don’t really know too much about partials of an oscillator (which Hearn obviously does) but maybe these techniques somewhat negate the issue? Fun topic!

3 Likes

Sure. Keep in mind that you don’t have to do the binaural thing with it; it seems to be a per-patch choice. Of you don’t use it, it behaves like a 12-voice poly (with the minor limitation that two voices share the same LFO, I think).

1 Like

Phase problems like cancellation and comb filtering are an easy fix aren’t they, Ozone is pretty good and spotting these? But checking in Mono is probably the easiest.

So true. With the Rev2 I have loads of patches where rather than using a Chorus FX, I just layer the same patch and pan each on opposite sides. This whole “Binaural” moniker can be used for any synth out there that’s bi- or multi timbral. There’s a million reasons I want the UDO, but the binaural thing isn’t on that list.

well … does anybody finaly have got an udo synth an can write down his first impressions?

Nice upgrade to the LFO!

2 Likes

It sounds pretty incredible. They added quite a lot and the interface appears very friendly. I’d never be able justify something so spendy. I hope they make something in my price range.

2 Likes

They’ll have to make a desktop module if they want to sell me one… :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Sounding very nice, in another universe I’d probably get one, but big keyboard polysynths are not my thing, I think I’d be more tempted by a rack version but not at the expense of the controls.

But I definitely think it is possibly one of the nicest sounding polys of recent years, and there have been quite a few. From a mixing perspective I think I prefer the Roland “thin” poly sound over the “fat” American poly sound, and the UDO seems more like the former.

1 Like

I totally agree. When I listen to demos of stuff like the Moog one I think “bloody hell that sounds massive” but when I listen to the Super six I immediately start thinking of it in a mix.

I like how you can just switch it on and fuck about until dragged off it. Could be next year purchase. Money all spent till then.

Ive been on order for ages now. My patience is dwindling. Georgeo Hanlon said February latest. If he turns up at superbooth as another pre - demo i’m cancelling.