ucApps.de MIDIBox Seq

Bruno at the MIDIBox forums hooked me up with some info on the “proprietary” extrusions they used in the heidenreich cases. Turns out the whole case is by them and they only do minimum 10 cases. Getting the extrusions is out be I believe I can make something work somehow now that I know what the design looks like.

http://www.heidenreich.de/english/products/group_06/variant_b/dates_dimensions.html

Fancy

Yes, they are clever. You’d think it would be more common

Yeah I think it’s odd you can only find ones for assembling square frames.

Mate that’s a lovely job-both acrylic and aluminium.

You know you’re going to be asked if you build these for others…

There is a lot of confusing information on the project but if you want to read about the functionality the beginner guide is the best resource.

http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=mididocs:seq:beginners_guide:start

Thanks! We’ll see, I’ve read horror stories about people making even a penny off this project due to crazy restrictions placed on the project. Though I also heard that it may have been relaxed a little as long as people aren’t taking advantage. All hearsay though.

I propped it up with the other gear so I could mess around with it today while I wait for case parts to arrive. If I gel with it I may end up designing my own front panel layout down the road.

Oh really? That’s a shame, particularly when members of a community are prepared to dip into their own time and creative banks, to provide a service for others.

Make sure you post if you do your own front panel as well.

I’ll post everything on the project here and share whatever I can to help others realize their own projects :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But why go to all the effort when you can get a ready made Pyramid for about the same money?

is this more capable than the Pyramid?

I’d have to dig into the pyramid specs because I’m not familiar with them. There are a few reasons.

1: because I can
2: there is some satisfaction of completing a project like this and then using it to make music.
3: it’s open source so if I feel like something is missing I can work on implementing it myself.
4: It’s a great experience
5: I can fix anything that goes wrong with it
6: It can grow and change with me

Edit: Pyramid looks similar but it looks like a different experience/interface. One knob per step is nice on the MIDIBoxSeq

Plus the OLED displays match my Digitakt :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@Airyck sums it up nicely.

One of the things I love most about the midibox is that I can configure it the interface how it best suits me. If I want to assign a menu destination to a button, I can usually make that happen. I’ve reassigned most of the buttons on mine to better suit my workflow.

Plus, the developer (TK on the midibox forum) is very responsive to bug reports and very open to feature requests when good reasoning is provided. It did take time and effort to build and understand, but really is the best hardware sequencer I’ve used despite the barriers to entry.

I really believe that when the new case and PCBs are finished, the platform will gain a lot more attention. I think the lack of a straightforward case solution has been a major hurdle for a lot of DIYers.

1 Like

I designed a crude knockoff of the adjustable extrusions that I’m going to try and 3D print in pieces that make up the whole length of the front panel. I’m going to start by printing a very small version and see how it well it works. After that I’ll make an interlocking version that can be assembled (due to print volume limitations). Maybe try some various finishes on it and see if I can make it look nice.

2 Likes

So the adjustable extrusions worked okay but didn’t look the greatest as 3D printed pieces.
In the meantime I received an order of the very standard quarter round extrusions and came up with wood end panel design.

The wood is raw and hasn’t even been sanded. I still need to design a smaller Aluminum rear panel so that I can keep the size of the unit down (it’s already bulky enough).

Anyway, I’m sort of sick of trying on different outfits for my MIDI box so I think I’m going to just finish this case and call it good for a while.

Here’s where it is so far…

Still need to sand the wood and stain it (a dark brown oak color I"m thinking).

The left wood panel got messed up while I was cutting it so I need to remake that one.
Still need a bottom panel, rear panel, and to tap the holes in the aluminum extrusions to more securely attach the wood and hold it together tightly.

I’m also going to see if I can find a couple different colors of buttons to help organize the front panel a little.

5 Likes

Man that’s sweet, nice job, I think it looks great…

1 Like

Thanks! I kind of dig the raw aluminum color. Just gotta finish the wood really nicely and get that back panel made. Should be very sturdy once it’s all screwed together.

1 Like

Yeah, I dig the aluminum, I kinda like the light wood color too, I’d even consider a finish that keeps it more that color even…
I like the looks of it more than the red and black pic up top…

I’d love to make that kind of custom stuff for my rig but I think I’d have to clone myself to get around to it… I can imagine some day in the future having some kind of project shop room to do stuff like that, and enjoying it a lot…

1 Like

I’ll consider keeping it a light color. I could always make a couple of end pieces to try out.

My whole work area started with a 3D printer. I made the CNC machine with my 3D printer and taught myself to use Fusion 360 over the last couple years. I even ended up doing Mechanical Engineering at my job even though I was hired to do Electronics (I do both) because I kept making little things we needed at the office for prototypes.

I’ve been off of work to spend time with my newborn son so I did all this MIDIBox stuff whenever he was sleeping. Back to work Monday though so I think my time to do projects like this is going to become very limited very soon. Which is also why I wanted to finish this before I went back to work.

If you ever have any questions about any of this maker stuff just hit me up.

3 Likes

Great build of your Seq 4!

I’m considering building one and a couple of quick questions please.

Are the CC values p-lockable like Elektron sequencing and can they be smooth between successive changes?

Can the LFOs be sent to the CV outputs (assuming an AOUT board of course!)

I’d like to sequence both MIDI and modular with this so the ‘mix-and-match’ appeals!

Many thanks

1 Like

Is the bottom side left open? It looks that way from the end piece routing. Not a bad solution given the restriction of those standard corner extrusions

Looking amazing, Airyck !

Does anyone know these things about the MIDISeq?

-How many MIDI events can you store per project?
-Can you name MIDI CC assignments so that you can see the name of the parameter you’re controlling on the screen?
-Is it possible to make the playhead position for the entire sequence jump to the start or to any step within the sequence, with the sequencer staying in time? (like hitting locator buttons on Ableton Live’s arrangement mode). This is great for live improvisation and is sorely missing in the Elektron boxes…