ucApps.de MIDIBox Seq

Thanks guys!

I’ll answer the questions that I know the answers to.

You can plock steps just like on the Elektron sequencers. Individual tracks can play at different time scales to extend track lengths but you already get 256 as an option vs 64 on Elektron sequencers.

I don’t know how many events you can store per project but it’s alot. You can load a new project without stopping the sequencer so it’s really as many events as your sd card can hold :slight_smile:

There is a function that lets you draw a smooth ramp between any number of steps so you can definitely step “smoothly” between parameter values over time.

You can write a long name for a track which displays on the right screen for any track so you can name your CC controllers whatever you want.

LFO can be sent to AOUT so it should be able to control CV without issue.

There is a “sync to measure” functionality that lets you restart the sequencer at different points in the sequence while it’s playing so you should be able to jump around to different steps but I haven’t played with it much.

You can also quantise muting and un-muting of tracks which is cool.

You can copy/paste/move steps, groups of steps, or entire tracks.

Yeah the bottom is open for now but I plan to work out a bottom part for the next milling session for side pieces.

This project takes a while to finish and then after that there is a decent learning curve to use it (I’m barely scratching the surface) but it’s powerful as a sequencer that’s for sure. Clock is solid though and it feels like a professional well thought out piece of gear.

3 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Awesome! One more please! How many CCs per track ?

I’d jump at this if all the parts were easily available…

you can specify tracks with up to 16 CCs. Basically tracks can be different ‘types’ (note, chord, CC, drum). Each track can have up to 16 layers, where each layer is a parameter of the type (note type would have note, velocity, length, roll, etc…) and generally you can assign unused layers in any track type to CCs. The number of layers in a track depends on how long you want your track length to be. The more steps in the track, the fewer layers you can have. For a note track, you can chose 64 steps with 16 layers, 128 steps with 8 layers, or 256 steps with 4 layers (each of these types also has 8 additional ‘trig’ layers, for gate, accent, roll, glide, skip, …)

the parts are pretty easy to source, and the PCBs are all at modularaddict.com now. Really the hardest parts is making a decent case.

4 Likes

What panelist said

1 Like

I’m looking but it’s confusing. There’s a bunch of midibox PCBs and whatnot on Modular Addict but no full Seq v4 kit. The MIDI I/O board seems unavailable.
On the ucapps “User Manual” page there’s a bunch of options and I don’t really understand what is needed. There’s stuff like

“The MIDI IN port is not supported, accordingly the “OUT only” version is sufficient.”
wtf?

I know a professional technician with a serious lab, and he can totally build this… but he charges by the hour so I want to get everything ready so he doesn’t have to spend time sourcing the parts… I don’t get why there isn’t a full kit with everything included. The ucapps.de forum has a whole lot of subforums and I don’t even know where to start.
I feel stupid!

This project has been going for quite a few years and you’d have thought they would have made it more accessible by now?

I guess I’ll have to wait for this:

Premade PCBs for Antilog’s frontpanel and also kits will be available in spring 2018!

Not holding my breath though…

No, there is no full kit available. You need to source the parts from mouser. This guy has a real nice build guide that even has Mouser parts carts with all the components: http://niroke.blogspot.com/2017/07/an-unofficial-build-guide-for-midibox.html

At a minimum, you need the MBSeq PCB, the Core PCB, and the MIDI I/O. I’ve also added the AOUT_NG and a DOUT board, which adds 8 CV channels and 64 gates/triggers for analog gear. Yes, the pages are confusing. I first started messing with midibox in 2001, and the info has just piled up. I did recently add a BOM from mouser for the Modular Addict PCB: http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_seq_parts_guide

Yes, the MIDI I/O is sold out. I may have gotten the last one in stock, since I just got my parts about a month ago. It is actually a really simple circuit with about 5-10 parts, and could be built on a small PCB while waiting for them to get back in stock, Also, the core board has PC USBs, so you can route the MidiBox outputs to soft synths on the PC without the Midi I/O board.

This is not a build for the feint of heart, but it is very rewarding. I had my panel laser cut at ponoko. If you are a first time user, you can get it cut for about $25 once you use their coupon. I’m a woodworker, so I am making my own case for it. I think I went a bit on the beefy side:slight_smile:

I really think you can get the cost down to $300. The case/front panel are big expenses, along with OLED displays. I just have regular LCD’s. The darn buttons are a big expense. You need 58 switches and keycaps if you use Wilba’s panel design.

I’ll try to attach a photo of my MBSeq.
Justin

4 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention, you can add on a button/light matrix. Up to 16x16 RGB lighted buttons for selecting steps, etc. I am just getting started on a 4x16 button matrix.

1 Like

Things are really shaping up for the SEQ v4+ now:

2 Likes

Personally im not in the DIY things (not enough time!). But this Seq v4+ looks so gorgeous !

SEQ v4+ in action:

2 Likes

this is. pretty nice build. how does something like this compare to the Squarp Pyramid, or the Cirklon?

The MIDIBox Seq is obviously comparable in form factor, connectivity, and scope to the Cirklon.

The Pyramid has less connectivity and is a bit more like the old Yamaha hardware sequencers.

You should carefully study the capabilities of the MIDIbox seq before buying or building one.

1 Like

My endless MIDIBox journey :joy:

Almost finished with the Analog output PCB to add 8 CV outputs. Just waiting on pots for the bi-polar section.

Next up will be building these for my Eurorack that doesn’t exist yet :joy: (preparing is good).

2 Likes

Hi
I would like to buy a MIDIBox Sequencer V4 in Europe.

Do you have any information?

Thanks

You might wanna check out Forums - MIDIbox Forum

Nice to see fellow Midiboxers around!

Thanks

Following a request in a sales thread, here are some pictures of my Seq V4 build, which I can’t believe was nearly 5 years go. My first electronics project in 35 years or so, certainly the most complex for me.
Still not had much time to use it yet.

7 Likes

I watched this video and was totally captivated by the performance and sounds…