ucApps.de MIDIBox Seq

i found the way to change pattern automaticaly on the midibox seq when i change pattern on the elektron!
it was so easy!!
in the midi menu go to external cntrol, turn knob 12 until you arrive on function prg change and with the 15 knob select pattern and you got it!
pattern will always correspond on the elektron and the midibox!
midibox seq v4 is really the best sequencer !!!there is always the possibility to do what we want![/quote]
Thanks for that tip…

No different than building those synths if you build the basic model… Support on the MIDIbox forum is excellent…

you 're welcome! don t hesitate to share tips here!

Is a lot of that not down to the enclosure though?
I’m really struggling to find a way to order the wilba frontpanel pcbs. Have tried asking on the forum, but no joy as yet.

yes that a lot to do with thes case… for the panel you just have to go on the store actually…
http://midiboxshop.bigcartel.com/category/boards*

for the price i think i paid something like 130 e for pcb and part controller, 30/40 lpc board kit, 25 nespresso lpc, 80 for the ponoko case with a voucher (should cost around 100), 50 more for forgotten parts. 2 day build, easier than anushri i think.

Hmmm… tell me more about this mysterious, (unbeknownst to me) black box you call The Midibox…
I am secretly in love with all things that can sequence.

So its like a a Cirklon?

I’ve never used a Cirklon, so I can’t make that comparison.

I would say, though, that it’s kind of like the Numerology sequencer - you can sequence/modulate tracks with other tracks and LFOs, add probably, retrigs, modify track loop points in real-time. It takes a long time to learn the ins-and-outs, but is just the most fun/flexible/powerful sequencer I’ve used. It lends itself to creativity and happy accidents.

2 Likes

I have my MIDIBox Seq V4 build up and running. Everything is working and I see a lot of great potential with it.

I’m at the point of making a case for it. I originally designed an acrylic case for it and cut it on my homemade MPCNC laser cutter.

I ended up not liking the flimsiness of an acrylic case so I went with an aluminum front panel.

I want to CNC some wood ends here at home but I am having a really hard time finding Aluminum extrusions for the curved part of the case. The people at the MIDIBox forums haven’t been super helpful so I thought I’d post here about it and see if anybody knew a about a good source for rounded aluminum extrusions that work good for this kind of case?

3 Likes

This looks very impressive. I have to read up on what it does and what building it involves. I’ve been craving another DIY project since I soldered the Shruthi.

1 Like

BRAVO!
That looks fantastic!

1 Like

I believe those are custom extrusions. They are interlocking pieces that can be adjusted to different angles.

I made a case similar to yours but got the kerf wrong and the fingers didn’t interlock. It’s been sitting unfinished for a couple years now, it’s just the top and bottom panels held together by tall standoffs

But it’s such a good sequencer…

My acrylic version works (I designed it myself and cut it on my own laser cutter which I also made myself) but I really would like to create a more solid Aluminum/Wood version. I keep hearing that those were custom extrusions so I guess I’ll have to come up with something. I’ve spent quite a few hours looking around the internet. I found a company that has something close but they aren’t adjustable. I’ve considered designing and 3D printing interlocking extrusions (my printer can’t make 17inch tall or long prints) and gluing them together. Might kind of defeat the whole “Aluminum durability” thing I was going for but I refuse to let the project die because of some aluminum extrusions.

Regardless, I will post what I figure out here and hopefully save other from my excruciating fate.

It’s a time consuming build but if you do it over time it’s not so bad.
I had a hard time getting the OLED displays working but I eventually found a thread which the original developer solving the issue for someone else and took notes.

You can get PCB’s here:
https://modularaddict.com/manufacturer/midibox/midibox-seq-pcb

You have to source all of your own parts but you can get it all on Mouser/Digikey (in the U.S.).

The hardest part is going to be the case. Not totally impossible but it’s proving to be the most difficult part and I have a CNC/Laser/3D printing capabilities. I just want it to look super professional.

The best extrusions I could find in North America was from MK North America

https://www.mknorthamerica.com/Products/aluminum-extrusions/profile-series-25/25-x-25-quarter-round/

2537DRAW

There is a minimum charge and they are only quarter round or 90 degree angles but they would fit (mostly).

I’ve been talking with a company that works with them and hopefully I can get some from them to try out.

There’s a new case and control PCB design in the works from folks who seem intent on making the midibox sequencer more approachable - you may just want to wait on that.

It could take a few years to be honest!

For the new case Panelist is talking about?

yep always takes time to workout these open source projects!

Which is why I’ll just keep working on my own design :slight_smile:
Are you the one designing that other case I’ve seen on the forums over there (with the nuts that stick off the sides?).

I’ve decided to try and work with what is readily available.

These are the most common extrusion types and so I’ve decided to try to make them work. The issue with these is when you butt up against them at an angle then you leave a gap where they meet.
I’m sure I can come up with a solution so I’ll just use these and see what I can do… more coming soon.

I think this would be months more than years. They’ve already been working on the concept for over a year but they are teasing prototype pics.