"U-boats" as cheap risers

I was digging through some old boxes in the basement today and came across some extra Auralex U-Boats I had left from construction of my studio 9 years ago.

If you aren’t familiar with U-Boats, they are used to decouple 2x4 lumber framing from the surface of the ground. They’re made from dense rubber. They’re one of the components that go into a “floating” studio floor. They cost about $2-$3 each.

As they’re fairly sturdy, and grippy, I played around with using them as a riser for a second Elektron instrument.

In tabletop configuration, which is stable enough, they clear the jacks on the back, when the instrument is flat on the table.

Adding a set of Bluelounge CoolFeet to the rear U-boats for the top instrument gives it some forward tilt. You can stick these right onto the U-boat, rather than the instrument.

If you take one u-boat and wedge it into the other to get a little more height and added stability due to the tension in the wedge.

When wedged, the height clears the jacks of an Elektron instrument’s rear even more, if it is flat on the table. If the front instrument is titled, and therefore higher in the rear, it may still clear, it just depends on how high you’ve tilted up the rear jacks.

Wedged configuration , no tilts:

Tabletop configuration, rear tilt of top instrument only via CoolFeet:

I plan to use these as a portable riser blocks for live sets, where table/booth space is limited.

4 Likes

This is a really clever idea. I may try to implement something like this in my studio as well.

They’re fairly sturdy. I’ve been using them for my Nord Drum 2 above my Monomachine as well.

They jive well with my transport/packing needs too. I can just cradle my RNC with them so they don’t take up too much space, and kinda protect the RNC at the same time.

2 Likes

Have also been using these to firm up / de-wobble my Mstands.
3 stacked does the job well and makes these risers as firm as can be. Great for banging on MS pads.

Sadly they’ve gone up in price a bit.

Thanks for reminding us - u-boats huh…these might just what I was looking for!

No joke I’ve found cheap plastic decorative plate holders work pretty well for the price for placing gear at an angle. They’re not the same as screwed in support but for knob turning studio stuff they are fine for me.