Trying to recreate resonant sounds ala Daniel Avery

Been using the analog four for half a year. Lately I’ve been wanting to make more resonant, acid like sounds out of the analog four. My main inspiration are a couple of Daniel Avery, Drexciya and KiNK tracks I really like. Naive Response from Daniel Avery really made me start exploring the A4 more towards that side. However, with no luck yet.

Basically what I’m trying to do is recreate all the sounds from naive response as an excercise. I’m breaking my neck here trying to do it. So far, I’ve had no succes. How would you try to approach this? Any tips?

If you want to check out the track:
Daniel Avery - Naive Response

Hey,

Just from listening things I’d try:

Within a single track/sound experiment with extreme amounts of Overdrive plus the Peak/BP filter type. Assign LFO to filter cut and try whipping it at various speeds with high resonance.

If you don’t mind sacrificing more then one track I’d even try routing output from Track 1 into a second Track’s Sound input so you can stack plus offset filters.

Very cool album btw.

Hey Chad,
Could explain how do you route sound from track 1 to track 2 and how does stacking plus offset filters work?
Thank you

View OSC2 WAV options there is NEI Neighbor mode after External Inputs. This routes the audio from the previous A4 track to the active A4 track you have selected. The audio will also stack and go thru the active track’s filters. So you could stack 8 filters from Track1 if desired. :rage:

OSC1 has Feedback as a waveform mode, OSC2 has Neighbor Track both unique to each other. It’s really fun taking advantage of these, even sometimes just parameter locking a Neighbor track’s audio into another track, it’s all good. :slight_smile:

Certainly an underused feature of the A4 and AKeys, try it out.

Cheers!
Chad

2 Likes

I wanted to open a thread about exactly this sound, then I found this old topic.
Is it a subtractive sound with high resonance, or something crossmod or fm?

I would say that, with maybe a saw and a keytrack on filter…

2 Likes

have to try. I love this sound.
I have a feeling it was done with an SH101

2 Likes

I love the album and have looked this up before. Many people were saying he’s using an SH-101. From watching lots of interviews with different techno artists, this isn’t surprising at all. The SH-101 is super popular for those type of sounds. Though I know that’s not your question haha

1 Like

Not exactly the same but I had interesting results disabling pitch keytracking, adding filter 2 keytrack with LP2. Tune the root Frequency with Keytrack = 32. Choose high Res values depending on a quite low osc level. Play notes for harmonics.

Key seems to be A#, or Osc Tun = - 6 with KEY off.

I tried with Filter 1 but it is not well calibrated. I’m hesitating to do a calibration.

2 Likes

Nice. I’ll try

1 Like

Well, others have explained the basics, but listening to the example, I think there is a bit of reverb on the sound that accentuates the resonance. So if you get kinda close but not quite there try that.

I tried to imitate intro part I looped in Octatrack.
First is original, then it’s A4 (100% at 25"), darker kick, more reverb, decay tweak, then back to original

I did A4 Calibration ! So now my filter 1 keytrack works too at 32. :smiley:

I used F1 and F2 with Freq = 62 and Key = 32 for both.
Res 1 = 76, Res 2 = 113

Keytrack disabled for Osc, Tune = -18, Fine = 25
Notes plocking for filters harmonics

120 BPM.

7 Likes

Wow. Thank you. Really close!

F1 with or without resonance boost?
F2 in LP?

1 Like

Very nice! Huge fan of Avery. This thread has made me want an A4.

1 Like

:coffee:
I left resonance boost / drift but less Res 1 can be better. Try different Res 1 / Res 2 settings. Filters have to be correctly calibrated.
F2 LP2. Try Peak too.

In the original loop the sound is almost like an electric guitar sample / filtered. :thinking:
All filtered parts seem sampled and looped apparently. I don’t know if filters are played live or sequenced.

I tested arp and f1+f2 macro control in addition and you can have ineresting results ! I set macro to bipolar and depth = 29 in order to have +12 = 1 octave up, by ear.

1 Like

Never calibrated mine. Have to look if it tracks well

1 Like

wow, really close

1 Like

@sezare56 nailed it, maybe a A4 was used by Daniel Avery or maybe @sezare56 IS Daniel Avery :thinking:

4 Likes

wow. What a plot twist

3 Likes

pretty good! but make the filter envelope snappier/tighter

1 Like