Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

I’m in strong agreement with most of your thoughts about the T1 across this thread although I do think it has a place for starting songs at times. I quite enjoyed a few of the demos where they start a jam and then variation and complexity evolves into the pattern (if that makes sense!!!) works quite well for me as a compositional form. I wouldn’t want to start every song like that but I can see the appeal for that specifically at times.

I’d been pretty satisfied for a long, long time with Elektron boxes and the computer thinking that I was well covered for sequencing but more recently (thanks to other threads here…) I’ve started getting more interested in sequencing as a more deeply performable aspect… getting beyond muting tracks, switching patterns etc. I’ve ordered a Toraiz Squid which should hopefully arrive next week and I’m looking forward to trying ideas where I’m combining that with onboard Elektron sequences. So, I’m definitely seeing the T1 as being interesting for expanding on and exploring those ideas.

I don’t think the price is outrageously high but it’s not cheap enhough that I could justify it on a whim. I certainly should be getting to know other things more before adding to the pile but there is always the outside chance of an early backer perk that tempts me.

Sure, your comparison is concrete but it’s also a comparison that could be applied in so many circumstances that it seems weird (to me at least) that you’re so specifically fixated about the T1 being so replicable by an iPad. It would be an equally easy argument to make that the $20 iOS app is an extravagent spend when I could replicate it to some other arbitrary extent using stuff I already have in my computer?

Ultimately, I guess, everyone consider a thing as a whole and how it fits into their needs, preferences and circumstances.

2 Likes

It’s not really that standard generic response that only notes that a computer is always technically superior to any piece of gear that’s dependent on a CPU. It’s that, in this case, the device is so close to the dimensions of an iPad and so close to the feel and performance of what an iPad could and would do that it seems like a particularly misguided piece of engineering, at least at the price. I’m all for overlapping functionalities because sometimes you want this or that difference, but this one’s only advantage–after thinking it through–are the 3-D knobs. It’s such a slim offering. I mean, I’ll buy anything just to try it out and not begrudge flipping it for a loss if and when I need to. This one actually inspired me to browse info on current iPad apps.

I’m interested in kicking around pros and cons with experienced people–that kind of thinking out loud helps with buying as well as creative decisions. I think it’s dull and counterproductive to roll out any of the three standard chestnuts to shut things down: 1) “We can almost always say a computer is more efficient”; 2) “limitation is good”, and 3) "to each his own, so stfu. "

I still say this company should release an iOS app because the amount of MIDI processing software development they’ve done here give them a leg up. This functionality is available in iOS, but not all in one package. Or maybe some other app developer will notice this project.

I totally agree that generic responses that seek to sum complexity into a one-size-fits-all isn’t too helpful and so hopefully that’s not what I was inadvertantly saying. I certainly wouldn’t deploy the 3 chestnuts you mention in their totality but there are times when those things can be applicable for me. For example, most of the time a computer would be more efficient for me but sometimes when using hardware something clicks and I make progress quicker… but then I’m rarely concerned about efficiency.

Anyway to consider the case of T1 versus iPad a little more closely I think that there’s more of a difference than just the physical knobs and buttons. There is the question of connectivity and how it links into a setup. I’m sure it must be relatively easy to set these things up but it’s always something I find tedious especially when I have a tendency to swap things in and out/re-route etc. Though the proliferation of mini-jacks for MIDI is a double-edged sword as the two standards of connector is giving the same feelings as the ten thousand USB connectors…

Back to the physical contols versus touchscreen aspect though and I wouldn’t want to downplay the importance of the difference. Some people won’t get too fussed about it and whilst I’m not evangelical about physical controls I do tend really dislike touchscreens for anything other than a bit of web browsing. I recall playing about with Lemur at a mate’s house a few years ago and I just found the experience lacking whereas he was loving it.

I also tend to think that how you interact with a device has a such a subconscious impact on whatever you create with it. Certain button combos on the T1 may feel more natural than others which would give a subtle bias in some ways which could be good or bad. Likewise an iPad app’s layout has these subtle nuances too.

I agree about the price point though as it’s well out of the ‘try it and see’ range for me. The videos I’ve watched thus far suggest that the various aspects of how it functions offers me something interesting and different to other options I have. Whether they offer enough for it to be worth actually shelling out that much cash remains to be seen. There is always the risk that I’ll be distracted by something else new and shiney before this becomes availabe.

1 Like

It’s hard to judge use, and the sorts of musical styles possible with this, in that the video content so far is from just a few users – one principally. I’m sure other aspects and possibilities will become apparent when this is used by people with different perspectives and needs.

To me the hardware / software about this is just a cats / dogs discussion. And the money side for this shrinks to near irrelevance for a lot of people who are considering it. For them it’s more about what it allows them to do.

1 Like

Some responses are generic because they tend to be equally true every time they’re repeated. And a solid truth is worth saying over and over, even if it’s a bit worn.

2 Likes

The question in a sense regarding comparison to an IPad depends I guess on how you get on with IPad music making. I know plenty of great musicians that use their IPad for music making but personally I can’t stand using it (although it was the reason I bought the IPad in the first place). For me it’s a combination of connectivity and technical issues (especially the latency is annoying to me) as well as not feeling like the interface is an instrument. For me the main thing I’m after in this kind of thing is a type of inspiring feeling that is I guess similar to when I play traditional instruments. Far from every hardware instrument gives me this. For example the Squarp pyramid is a great sequencer that pretty much works for everything but it doesn’t feel like an instrument to me. The Elektron sequencers I like more. Some eurorack sequencers I think are great like for example metropolis. It’s super limited but extremely playable.

2 Likes

I don’t get what you are saying here. Especially since you have a Pulsar-23 which is all about tactile control. If it’s “a particularly misguided piece of engineering” :thinking: why are you even interested? I don’t think there’s an iPad that does what the T-1 does. Sure, it’s possible to make something like it on an iPad but I don’t think it would feel like a real instrument that you want to use again and again as part of your setup.

3 Likes

Hard agree with this.

Also, are the dimensions really that close to that of an iPad? An iPad seems a LOT bigger, or at least, will have to be to be useable given the finnickyness of touchscreens for fast operations vs knobs/buttons.

1 Like

Sure–forgive me for wanting a little specificity, Eames.

Because I like the T-1’s functionality. The first thing I said about this device was that it’s cool. And, yes, I’m way into tactile. In fact, I’m currently looking for stuff that I can play live simultaneously with my Pulsar-23. The T-1 looks great for that. I’m simply saying in this particular case an iPad can work better, and does for related uses. So then there’s the space issue.

Why be so set in thinking that everyone has your own preferences and workflow? Process isn’t pure “logic”. There’s sometimes a little magic to the creative engineering.

1 Like

I’m sure! But I have an iPad and rarely use it for such beyond quirky apps like FUGUE MACHINE or interface with Elektron machines.

3 Likes

I always appreciate when people respond contentfully to others’ opinions rather than characterize others’ opinions. First rule of online civility, to my mind.

1 Like

You called it “particularly misguided”, based on that you don’t personally find any need for it. I don’t find it uncivil to note that your preferences are not the whole of how persons are inspired.

1 Like

I’d be interested in your nuanced opinion of what’s misguided and not about the device’s engineering.

Nothing’s misguided about it.

I’m confused why you’re even in this thread at all besides to bash on other people’s work just because it doesn’t appeal to you.

1 Like

Knobs and a simple, consistent workflow speak to me. I’m just less inspired with most iOS apps, if you’re not interested and content with your apps, i’d never convince you to spend money on something you don’t need.

why is this thread being derailed by ipad chat? they’re not releasing an app, nothing about the hardware has anything to do with ios. take it to the ipad thread.

6 Likes

Word. This has gotten way off track.

3 Likes

I just noticed that the power connector is micro-USB rather than mini-USB or USB-C. This is really disappointing to see - micro-USB jacks are so easily damaged :expressionless:

3 Likes

Model:Cycles has micro usb too and personally I have no worries about that.