Toraiz is calling

The reason for that is that high quality reverb is a resource hog, Im guessing they decided its better as a bus effect as it is on most mixers.

No because its a USB slave not host just like the octa is. It can however sample directly.

1 Like

Yeah agreed, thatā€™s probably the reason but it should be able to deal with something like the quality of octatrackā€™s spring reverb across 16 tracks in 2016 :wink: the Toraiz main appeal to me is fast ui/convenience. Having to setup 8 separate physical sends (which canā€™t all be returned individually) just to have a bunch of separate track reverb inserts would be a consistent pain in the arse for me personally. Obvs YMMV. I probably use reverb a little too much :wink:

Iā€™m unfamiliar with what slave and host means in accordance with samplers/groveboxes. What would the difference be from pulling a sample from a USB drive than from the octatrack?

Cool to hear about the record in feature! Thatā€™s definitely a perk! Iā€™ve heard itā€™s limited to 32 seconds, which Iā€™m not sure is a factor as my riffs are typically short at this point in time, and with the sound design potential for this, I reckon youā€™d be able to do a lot with those 32 seconds

The internal memory instead of CF card disappoints me, but that USB slot seems like exchanging samples might be more accessible than having all my samples inside, probably makes for a tidier workspace.

If they could just update it to allow sample layering per pad, then that would give me a definite green light. (Though, I suppose you could just resample and place the new sound on a pad)

Bottom line: itā€™s between this and an MPC 1000. I know youā€™d recommend both, and Iā€™m sure they compliment each other well, but I only have room for one. Which kne would you recommend between the two?

You can plug in a 32gb USB stick (you can get really tiny ones these days) and it acts like a CF card.

Agreed sample layering per pad would be awesome.

As for which would be better for you. Do you use loops or intend to? If so the toraiz is a definite win. The toraiz also has superior built in effects.

If youā€™d like more sample layering or a less ā€œon the gridā€ sequencer then the MPC1000 wins here.

For me the MPC is currently a better finger drumming machine right now (at least with the mpcstuff fat pads). But if the toraiz gets velocity sensitive FX/filters then the toraiz will be superior there too.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/ue_Bd6nc5J8

Just a song to start the sundayā€¦

Iā€™m really happy with the Toraiz, canā€™t wait for the update. The workflow is what makes it a winner for me. But there are missing a lot of features and I cant find that features in the update-map so I hope pioneer will listen to there early adopters. Iā€™m pretty productive at the moment with the Toraiz but I dont forget the octatrack (I think I will never sell it) My next live performance is in about 2 weeks and I will bring the octatrack only with meā€¦ The Toraiz have to wait a bit stillā€¦

If the midi update comes I will gonna pair the toraiz with the monomachine. I will hope that it will be a nice comboā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks AikiGhost! Iā€™ll take all of that into account! Iā€™m guessing the Toraiz MUST have a more straightforward/clear method of composition? Most of what Iā€™ve heard come out of the MPC users have been 1-part beats, which Iā€™m currently on, but would like something to expand my tracks horizontally and with variation. Iā€™m figuring that would be the Toraiz.

Not sure what you man by 1 part beats? MPC sequences can have up yo 64 tracks each of which can be up to 999 bars long and can be muted and unmuted while playing.

1 Like

Week in with the Toraiz sp16 and I have to say, yes its currently missing some features.

But:

• The Pads are lovely
  • Sound browsing and selection is awesome Its VERY quick to set up kits
  • Sound quality is very good
  • The time stretch is decent but with noticeable artefacts in upper ranges
  • 8 + 32Gb is plenty of storage for my sounds

Bad things:

• The filter adds hiss when on
  • No way to do pad to pad copy of settings
  • No pad sample layering (yet)
  • Velocity can be routed to volume but nothing else right now
  • Occasional crashes when sample browsing I think this may be caused by non sample files in the directories I pulled over.

Looking forward to:

• Midi note out
  • More FX
  • User Definable Slice points
  • Smoother time stretch options

All in all Iā€™m really enjoying it, its extremely fast and intuitive to use. It just needs polish and a few more ā€œbells and whistlesā€. If you ever need something to finger drum live with and dont want to have to bring a laptop with you definitely check it out.

4 Likes

Just got my Toraiz and thought Iā€™d contribute what I posted in another discussion earlier:

Toraiz arrived today - after an afternoon with it I have to say Iā€™m impressed.

I was understandably hesitant to part with that much cash - and also a little bit wary of all the flashing lights - but I think Iā€™m really going to enjoy using this machine - and thereā€™s a lot to be said for enjoyment of use and ease of use.

Iā€™ve been through quite a few machines looking for something hardware based to make sample based music on, older MPCs, Electron stuff, iPad, etc. - and Iā€™ve got to say Pioneer have nailed it with this one.

Goodbye 15 year old OSs, goodbye thin rubbish sound, goodbye archaic sample management, goodbye tiny LCD screens.

It is so intuitive to use, the UI is excellent, great build quality and excellent sound quality - noticeably better sound quality than either the Octa or MPC 1000.

Itā€™s like the usability of an iPad crossed with the tactileness of a proper instrument (which it is) and the sound quality and reliability of a stand alone piece of hardware.

Of course there are things Iā€™d like to see introduced - more banks, filter envelope, interesting sequencer options, LFOs etc.etc. but Pioneer seem to be keen to develop this and even as it stands itā€™s great.

I can see myself making a lot of music on this ā€¦ and easily.

4 Likes

So today Pioneer announced a more detailed road map for Toraiz which includes live sampling with synced looping, application of the analog filter to individual tracks rather than just main outs and also midi control of other instruments.

6 Likes

Cmon Elektron what are you waiting for?
Show these young upstarts how itā€™s done :wink:

3 Likes

The looper is definatly something Iā€™m looking forward toā€¦ But thats in the update of early 2017ā€¦ Thats a long waitā€¦

Blablablablablablablatf

1 Like

Messing around with it Iā€™ve just realised that I donā€™t need more banks at all - normally with an MPC youā€™d chop something up and assign the slices across the pads, maybe taking up a whole bank for some chops - in the Toraiz each track can be a bank in itself with itā€™s own slices! So you effectively have 16 banks per scene if you want it. This thing is awesome!

2 Likes

The Toraiz is dope. It just seems silly when people have strong opinions without even touching the thing. Itā€™s like where does all that hate come from? What a sad existence.

3 Likes

The toraiz is looking pretty good I think. Definitely interested to see how it develops.
Donā€™t know much about pioneer?
Are we likely to see a big price reduction on this thing in a year or so you reckon?
Do their existing dj line prices fluctuate much? Big sales certain times of year etc?
At the moment pretty expensive. About $2300 Australian dollars

I hate Toraiz. It definitely sucks.

It sucks so much that anyone who has bought one should definitely sell theirs cheap on eBay. Please post me a link once you have one for sale.

3 Likes

Love the transparency. It must be really useful for business to really have a solid development plan and promised support for the product. Many people are going to buy the thing just because of upcoming promised features.

2 Likes

I played with it last week it was very easy to use, almost too easy, but therefore I quickly lost my interest. It sure is a fun toy, but is it worth the money, itā€™s up to you to decide :smile_cat:

1 Like