Toraiz is calling

Appreciate your honesty, Prints :thup:

4 Likes

There you go @Prints . I canā€™t blame youā€¦ (sh*t that Xenophone looks hot) After seven days with the Toraiz I found a lot of things that arenā€™t very good, especially for songwriting, spontaneous and experimental things. One thing I found really annoying is in slice mode the sample is cut in 16 pieces (you canā€™t diy the slices at the moment) the slice always begins and cuts of with a loud click (envelope open and closing). You can fiddle a bit with attack time etc. but I found it frustrating. And when you sample, the sample management in the box is frustrating, you have to use the computer to manage the samples.
There are good things as well. The workflow is fantastic and to be honest the best UI I found on samplers. The pads are fantastic for finger drumming, they are coming close to the maschinepads. The effects are very good. And the fact that you can find everything on the touchscreen is great! The learning curve is not steep at all, when you buy it you can begin straight away.
If you have prerecorded loops and want to arrange them without computer this thing is fantastic! The sound that comes out of this box is very clear, there is hardly no coloring (is that a good thing?)

At he moment there is a big conflict in my head. On one hand its a keeper because it is so easy to use, there is nothing like this and there is more coming from pioneer (especially effects and midi capabilities) on the other hand it is still an awful lot of money for this half-baked thing. I can use it though but on what frequencyā€¦ Iā€™m gonna sit for a week or soā€¦ and decide then.

1 Like

Strongly agree with you Daren! Itā€™s the only aspect of the OT that kills me, otherwise love the depth of the unit. I bought the OT with the vision of replacing my MPC mode of sampling and playing live. Love the OT but definitely not the MPC replacement as such. Interested to see where the Toraiz is placed amongst hardware samplers, particularly the older (canā€™t believe I said that) MPCs and the OT. Still love my ASR-10, MPC1000, MPC500 and Octatrack. I find the sampling on my MachineDrum is straight forward and very effective. Getting my head around the Rytm currently, even though it crashed and frozeā€¦ but letā€™s leave that for another place. :wink:

FYI: yep lots of hardware samplers over the last 25 years because I donā€™t use a computer as a compositional tool, sorry.

What an anti climax :slight_smile: after reading through the whole thread and cheering on the underdog from the sidelineā€¦ You ditched it so soon. :confused:

if they evolve the os with a more solid sequencing brain, Iā€™m interested in this now. Tho The fact theyā€™ve aimed it towards the general digital Dj market makes me question how deep they will bother goingā€¦

3 Likes

^
yeah - I must admit ( from a position of not caring either way) that this thread has cracked me up : someone proselytizing hard for pages & then dumping said wunderkind in the end :smile:

6 Likes

Well I think its a great sampler, but is it worth that money. At this moment no. Thats the only thing thats bothering me. should I wait for the updates or bring it back to the store and buy other stuff that are on my wishlist. If pioneer put the things day promiss in the update then it would be a killer machineā€¦ :thinking:

Iā€™d get rid and come back to it when/ifā€¦ Safest bet.

Itā€™ll cost exactly the same amount if I buy it again, and I still stand behind everything Iā€™ve said about it. With my limited funds, I have to make choices with regards to my setup. The Toraiz was kind of an extravagant solution for something Iā€™m finding I donā€™t need (but definitely wanted).

I have a Squarp Pyramid, and I think I prefer for it to take care of my sequencing needs paired with a sampler (like my SP404).

This Hypersynth Xenophone has been blowing my mind too. I wouldnā€™t have scored this piece with the great deal I got unless I freed up some $, like Iā€™ve already stated.

I wish my experience was less anticlimactic, but thatā€™s the way the cookie crumbles.

3 Likes

Finally made it to the store today, and I have to admit it looks very solid! Nice, clean UI. I understand how you might not want to miss that once youā€™ve had itā€¦ Didnā€™t play around on it though, as I was watching a Deluge demo.

To be fair, I wouldnā€™t consider the thoughts Iā€™ve shared on the Toraiz as ā€œproselytizing.ā€ I didnā€™t create this thread, and I only bothered to share my thoughts due to the requests made by other forum members when I told them I was picking one up.

I guess it may seem like proselytizing when I tout attributes the Toraiz has to offer, but I really donā€™t know how that could even be avoided.

bruh

:grinning:

Brill.

Disposable.

Next.

:grinning:

Iā€™ve decided to get one, picking it up on Thursday, hopefully it will be a good compliment to my MPC1000.

5 Likes

Give us your feelings! Somefow I have enjoyed this thread even when I am not getting Toraiz! :slight_smile:

Will do after Ive had some time to play.

Well I picked it up last night and its joined some of my other babies on the drum machine table.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14484722_10153715529901504_4901158536782854771_n.jpg?oh=3708745f9ceb4abfa3c18dc073a47b13&oe=58A0C722

5 Likes

http://faq.pioneerdj.com/product.php?c=4592&lang=en&p=TORAIZ_SP-16&t=faq

New updates plan from pioneerā€¦

2 Likes

Might pick it up on Black Friday then

1 Like

Looks like an insert ā€˜reverbā€™ per track option might never happen or at least isnā€™t included in the planned updates :confused: thatā€™s a huge ommision IMHO.

I dont think pioneer really know what theyā€™re doing with this boxā€¦

I just noticed that usb sample upload slot. You reckon, with one of these babies I could live record into the octatrack/mangle a loop, save the file as a new sample in the OT, and then enter the USB mode on the OT and load that sample into the Toraiz without a computer? (Also, do you know if itā€™s possible to live record into the Toraiz)

Even if you canā€™t live record into the toraiz, if I can do that OT sample trick, then I have just become VERY interested in this machine.

Thanks

1 Like