Toraiz is calling

I’m a total Elektron fanboy, but dammit, the Toraiz looks and sounds cool. If I had the money, I would try it.

5 Likes

Fortunately, I don’t take any of it personally. I do realize I’m right in the heart of OT Elektron territory talking about another sampler; I shouldn’t be shocked to find some that feel threatened.

It isn’t as if the Toraiz doesn’t deserve its share of criticism (of which I have some to offer). I just like to keep things within the realms of what I consider a fair perspective.

If you come at me aggressively, I’ll show my teeth a bit; but my main goal isn’t to show off my witticisms through sparring or anything. If anything, sharing my experiences is helping me to conceptualize what it is I want from such a device. Also, it’s helping me to work on my writing skills.

2 Likes

I, for one, think it’s great that you’re sharing your experiences with the Toraiz. By far the most informative thread I’ve read about it so far. For this, I thank you.

5 Likes

People, please.
Peace for @Prints !

:pensive:
:pray:

(just sound like a late 80’s band, I like this)

Everyone please check your message before hitting the “Reply” button and take some time to remove any offensive content. Previous posts can also be edited to prevent further volcanic explosion.
This little effort will ensure everyone keeps cool and exchanges information peacefully…
Please don’t let me be misunderstood.

5 Likes

i underatand the midi implementation is currently quite limited on this? but anyway something I miss on the OT (though I can find on something old like su-10) is the ability to spread a large amount of individual samples across the whole keybed of a midi controller. Not chromatic playing just original pitch trigging.

OT only does 8 (right?) SU-10 does 32. How many with Toraiz - if any right now?

Thanks to Prints for all insights so far & apologies if already covered. Have read the whole thread as it grows but there’s a lot of filler!

Haven’t used my OT in a while but I’m pretty sure there’s a mode (not ‘chromatic’, not ‘slice’, one of the other ones :wink: where you can play all the sample slots along the keyboard? Not sure if it works with external keyboard but I’m sure you can at least do it on the hardware step trigs? I could be totally wrong tho and cant check right now.

@Callofthevoid Is “Slot mode” what you were looking for ?
Not sure you can play from an external controller though…

Yeah that’s probably the mode I was trying to remember :slight_smile: I think you’re right about not being able to play it from external midi tho. Guess external midi is always locked to chromatic etc regardless of what mode is set on the hardware? Maybe someone knows a way?

Nope, external mode is very weird.
Like on an octave you access the different track, two octaves above the chromatic mode but on 13 notes only…
VERY weird implementation.

1 Like

Very weird indeed. I’ve got an OP1 controlling all my elektrons. I’m jumping octaves like a mofo

1 Like

On the MIDI side, yes, it works as intended on several octaves, you’re right @Ryan.
I was talking about the sample side. Like if you want to play on several octaves one audio track, or play the slices, or even the different slots… No way :pouting_cat:

[EDIT : oops I’m afraid I derailed this thread a bit, sorry]

Between the OT, and midi to the RYTM it’s a mess of a range.

yeah i think trigging slices by midi is one of the most asked for requests

2 Likes

You can play a sample track chromatically via external midi. I’m sure you’re aware of this, but thought I’d make sure.

Midi notes 72-96.

1 Like

The update road map confuses me a bit. It says they only plan for MIDI in/out, which is not at all the same as MIDI sequencing.

The OT seems more bounced out atm even with the downsides just that ability to harvest audio from many other devices without a computer is liberating for people like me who break computers other than Amiga lol.

1 Like

Yeah, lots of analog out there, time for new pls!

Still interested in this thing but there are 16 patterns in one project? Thats not enough for me for a live set… Or can you switch project easily without loading time?

And thanks @Prints for this really usefull information about the toraiz. Always good to hear from a user!

1 Like

I think it’s 16 patterns per scene, 16 scenes per project?

1 Like

yes you are right, was not aware of the scenes…

1 Like