Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

There are a lot of options discussed in the Sequential Thread for this mod: Vintage Knob for OB-6?

That is where I would go for community support on this particular issue.

1 Like

my update was a little funky as well… it counted down from 999, then rebooted, then the lower effects display counted down (I think from 6 to 1) and the main display was blank. nothing further happened. I was scared to re-boot so I left it like that for about ten minutes, then rebooted. it lists the new OS number and the Vintage Mode seems to be working right (in that it sounds awesome, and distinctly different from slop mode).

I used Sysex Librarian over USB from a Mac, fwiw. and I was on a pretty old OS. I want to say it was 1.5.4 but I’m not certain. I’ve never updated it since I got it in early 2018.

Is one of you controlling the OB6 via MIDI CC/NRPN?

I’m currently sequencing the OB6 via the Digitone which works fine for notes and velocities, yet I can’t figure out how setup the control message for more specific stuff (e.g., pulse width)

The OB-6 manual includes a table of received CC messages for sound controls. In it, for example, the CC numbers for VCO1 Pulse Width and VCO2 Pulse Width are 71 and 79 respectively.

For the OB-6 to receive those messages, you need to set Param Rcv to “CC” in the OB-6’s global settings.

yep I’m
I just look at the manual which cc number the parameter off the ob6 has who I want to control
and then I choose one off the encoders on the AMP page and select that cc number

It seems Synthpunk’s prediction was almost spot on. I’m pretty much in on this even with Sequential’s narrow implementation of MPE. I’m glad I didn’t jump the gun.

This is still mere prediction and speculation though, isn’t it? Especially this soon after the upgrade to OB-6, wouldn’t an OB-X feel a bit like Sequential cannibalising their own OB-6? Don’t get me wrong, I think it’d be wonderful and like I mentioned above, I’m destined to get another SEM poly at some point. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is but I suppose with enough interest - which there seems to be from peoples response to the rumor - it might just happen. Although maybe he just wanted the name. But with the p5/p10 in mind it’s not as unlikely at least.

About it competing with ob6, they’re two different beasts in different price ranges and sequential still offers the p6. But it’s a valid point, and my guess is that this one is a bit more niched compared to the p5.

1 Like

I would think the timing is about right. The P6 came out in 2015, and then the following year the OB-6 came out. And I feel they are following the same path. The P5 came out a few months ago, so sometime this year, the OB-X should come out.

The firmware update to the OB-6, the use of “vintage mode” instead of “slop”, is the same update for the P6, and the same feature that was on the P5 at release. My guess is that it will be a standard feature on Dave Smith synths from here on out.

3 Likes

Vintage knob sounds absolutely fantastic. A siginificant improvement to the OB-6!

5 Likes

And it’s out now: Sequential

Sequential has just released a new OS for the Prophet-6 and the OB-6 that adds much-anticipated features:

• Support for MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression). This enables the Prophet-6 and OB-6 to respond to MPE-driven controllers such as the LinnStrument®, Expressive E Osmose®, Roli Seaboard® series, and others.
  • Prophet-5 Rev 4-style “vintage” mode. This gives the Prophet-6 and OB-6 a looser, more organic sound that emulates the behavior of vintage synthesizers where the behavior of individual oscillators, filters, and envelopes vary from voice to voice.
  • Improved aftertouch curves for enhanced expressiveness when using the Prophet-6 and OB-6’s own keyboard.
5 Likes

“A technical overview of the Vintage Knob implementation in new Sequential Prophet 6, OB-6, and Prophet 5 Rev 4. I spent several hours analyzing the Oscillators, Envelope ADR timings, and Filter characteristics.
This video explores the vintage knob behavior in depth, and also offers up some recommendations on how adjusting the values could greatly improve the usability of the Vintage Knob across a range of values.”

6 Likes

The first thing I noticed when starting to play with it was that with max Pan Spread, and max Vintage, one side became way brighter than the other, so the stereo balance was really strange.

I assume this is because the Pan Spread always spreads the same voices to the same place, so going off the video, Voice 6 must always be right on the same edge of the stereo field. Would be nice if the most extreme variances on the voices were at least balanced across the stereo field.

Is it possible to program sequences using only the desktop module?
Can you have the arp play by itself?

Or do you need a controller to make any kind of sound? :slight_smile:

Yes.

No.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the response!
Planning to use it with an MPC, but sometimes it’s nice to just start a synth and noodle away without distractions.

Just ordered one, oops! Desktop version.

I got a Minilogue XD a few weeks back. I like it but don’t love it. I decided to return it and go one step higher (if only in price!). Tomorrow is the last day I can return it. Close call :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I got an OB-6 a few weeks ago (keyboard version, stumbled upon a good deal) and so far all I have to add to the conversation about it is that all of the rumors/mythology around it have proven to be true. The sound of it gives you chills, the filter is musical in every possible configuration, the panel is simple yet powerful, etc. etc. There’s a lot of hype for this synth but, from my brief time with it so far, I think the hype is warranted.

One thing I’ll mention is that, despite the OB-6’s reputation for making dreamy pads and such, it can totally venture into noise/insanity territory. I’ve had a lot of fun pushing the mod matrix, LFO, distortion, and other features to their limits, and this synth just sounds full and detailed no matter where you take it. I’ve been mostly playing on a modular rig for the past year, so my instincts are to abuse everything and see what happens, but I’m excited to get more in tune with actually designing patches and coaxing the best out of it.

10 Likes

If you love pads, then you won’t be disappointed. Great machine for those sounds.

4 Likes

Thanks. The post above yours makes me hope for more though!