Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/dave-smith-instruments-ob-6-6-voice-analog-synthesizer

[color=black]Two Legends. One Instrument.

[color=black]The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.

[color=black]Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable wave shapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.

[color=black]This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I smell a hoax, just like Roland Saturn 6.

1 Like

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/ob-6

Happy to be wrong about this one.

1 Like

My hopes for a Pro 2 module are dashed.

One knob per function is nice and the “pedigree” certainly adds to the value.
But A4’s modulation and OSC capabilities give me a Swiss Army knife of a synth that has really spoiled me.
I find it just as difficult to get excited about this as the Prophet 6. I’m sure they’ll sell loads, though, and I imagine it sounds exceptional… Lots of love out there from KB players for updated classics.

:+1: :kiss:

No idea which I would like better between the Prophet 6 and this new baby. Loved both the classic Prophet 5 sounds and the Oberheim SEM-based sounds in the pop hits, jazz fusion tracks, etc. that I heard in my younger days.

If I win the next Powerball I’d have to spend hours with each one at the store, with headphone before I can make up my mind.

So much in common with the Prophet 6.
Same physical dimensions, 80% of the same FX, same sequencer, arp, performance controls, LFO specs, X-mod sources and destinations, envelope specs.

It appears to be a Prophet 6 with an SEM filter, flanger, ring mod, and tri-angle (instead of square) sub OSC?
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. The SE Boomstars do well with the same type of repackaging scheme. This will surely be THE pad machine for many.
But it doesn’t feel like the mighty “collaboration” it is being billed as.

Epic :heart:

So much in common with the Prophet 6.
Same physical dimensions, 80% of the same FX, same sequencer, arp, performance controls, LFO specs, X-mod sources and destinations, envelope specs.

It appears to be a Prophet 6 with an SEM filter, flanger, ring mod, and tri-angle (instead of square) sub OSC?
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. The SE Boomstars do well with the same type of repackaging scheme. This will surely be THE pad machine for many.
But it doesn’t feel like the mighty “collaboration” it is being billed as.[/quote]
I thought similarly at first, but the synth architecture itself (so, disregarding the sequencer and other add-ons to the basic architecture) seems more SEM-ish than the Prophet’s.
Also the panel has a distinct Oberheim flavor to it (color scheme, stripes).

That made me go woah a bit. Looping function? Sounds amazing.

2 Likes

Exactly my first impression too. Great pad synth, I guess.

But what I would like to buy in a modern version, is a Matrix 12 reborn. That was a power machine with all it’s flexibility … dreaming :joy:

LOL, don’t get too excited. Youtube description says what is looping the synth. Hint: it’s not the synth.

Yeah, that sounds pretty outrageous … and on the basis of these demoes, I suspect that I prefer it to the P6. Looking forward to demoing them. Was absolutely set on a P6 module as my one gear purchase for 2016 too. Oh well.

Btw, guess one reason for Korg’s preemptive strike with the Minilogue is now pretty clear.

now that’s what a polysynth should sound like.

I think I may to pretty much sell everything I feasibly can to get one. :neutral_face:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This thing sounds SO good to me, geez, I bet it’s heavenly in person.
I bet it’s really fun to play and make sounds on too.

The price puts it right below all the other synths way out of my reach.
If they make a desktop version I’m gonna be hurting for it.

For the record, I’m not trying to dog the OB-6.
In fact, it’s probably the smoothest sounding DSI product yet.
I just think it’s a little bit of a smack to Prophet 6 owners to come out with a product that is so similar in so many ways, if not a slight upgrade.