Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

Yes.

No.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the response!
Planning to use it with an MPC, but sometimes itā€™s nice to just start a synth and noodle away without distractions.

Just ordered one, oops! Desktop version.

I got a Minilogue XD a few weeks back. I like it but donā€™t love it. I decided to return it and go one step higher (if only in price!). Tomorrow is the last day I can return it. Close call :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I got an OB-6 a few weeks ago (keyboard version, stumbled upon a good deal) and so far all I have to add to the conversation about it is that all of the rumors/mythology around it have proven to be true. The sound of it gives you chills, the filter is musical in every possible configuration, the panel is simple yet powerful, etc. etc. Thereā€™s a lot of hype for this synth but, from my brief time with it so far, I think the hype is warranted.

One thing Iā€™ll mention is that, despite the OB-6ā€™s reputation for making dreamy pads and such, it can totally venture into noise/insanity territory. Iā€™ve had a lot of fun pushing the mod matrix, LFO, distortion, and other features to their limits, and this synth just sounds full and detailed no matter where you take it. Iā€™ve been mostly playing on a modular rig for the past year, so my instincts are to abuse everything and see what happens, but Iā€™m excited to get more in tune with actually designing patches and coaxing the best out of it.

10 Likes

If you love pads, then you wonā€™t be disappointed. Great machine for those sounds.

4 Likes

Thanks. The post above yours makes me hope for more though!

Sorry, of course it can do more. But those rich pads are just too easy to dial in. Itā€™s a great synth and my single biggest selling regret.

1 Like

No worries, and sorry to hear you had to part with it!

Seems people feel a lot for this instrument, itā€™s touching. I love it!

1 Like

Iā€™m always a little sad that they didnā€™t add just one extra LFO, or make the modwheel able to control other things, but by god it sounds amazing.
Iā€™ve put it on everything Iā€™ve made since owning it, and will continue to do so.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve read that a few timesā€¦ Iā€™m thinking of dedicating my Digitone MIDI tracks for that when I lust for more evolving sounds and hopefully enjoy that.

I do hear that despite the somewhat limited modulation options it is much lovedā€¦ Iā€™m very eager :blush:

It comes to replace a Minilogue XD which is a fine synth, which I like, but donā€™t love as much as I do other instruments I own. Nowadays I up my standard, has to make my heart shiver :blush:

1 Like

I had mine since 2016 and love it even more today. Donā€™t really care about the limitations, I love what it does do, sounding absolutely gorgeous and radically different from my other synths :heart:

8 Likes

OB6

6 Likes

It juat came. I only played some presets. Wow, Indeed, wowā€¦

5 Likes

I donĀ“t get this photo, am I missing something?

One day Iā€™ll scrounge up enough for one of these. Been on my ā€œcannot affordā€ list forever. Also considering a Perkons or Pulsar in that range of one time purchases, but the OB6 is always on my mind.

2 Likes

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Essential Meaning of monolith

1**:** a very large stone that is usually tall and narrow especially : a stone that was put in position by people as a monument or for religious reasons an ancient monolith

1 Like

OB-6 firmware update (1.7.4) available:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,1190.0.html

8 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

I think Iā€™ll pass; Iā€™m not using MPE (for now) and didnā€™t notice any problem with Aftertouch curve #7. Iā€™m a bit scared of OS updates via Sysex to be honest :slight_smile:

Yeah Iā€™m actually pretty happy with it as it is and never really research that MPE thing. So I think Iā€™ll wait as well

Just to make sure I didnā€™t miss it: thereā€™s no way to reset oscillators with note ON right?

1 Like