Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

If I already had a Prophet 6 by the time of this announcement I wouldn’t be upset at all. Then again, it takes a lot more than NAMM announcements and other First World problems to upset me.

I’d be happy with either keyboard.

does anyone know the cost

Musicians Friend listed it at $2999 but now the page is deleted.

I might be missing something here but I listen to these new synth demos thinking “right… I hope it blows my Virus TI out of the water so I can sell the Virus and buy something new”…but when I listen to the demos, I can’t help but think “that could be the Virus” albeit without a built in sequencer, without it being true analogue etc etc

I would recommend to make a real A/B testing and you will see/hear that there are differences … :wink:

I don’t want to start this silly digital vs analog debate, so take this as my experience only, please.

I have both in the studio, the Virus TI and polyphonic analoge synths. If I compare only the VA-mode of the Virus to analog synths, I know some analoge territory, which the Virus does not enter … particularly at the low end. Analog VCO at low octave settings and VCF/Resonances create often characteristic fatness and “singsang” that is unique to the particular synth engine. The only digital synths I know, which are doing something like this, are simulating “real” circuits, but the Virus doesn’t do this.

So I think … it’s the video sound …

But to be honest, in a mix of many voices in electronic music the above mentioned differences will almost get lost.

BTW … IMO the Virus us much … much more than a VA-synth :wink:

You didn’t sound like that at all to me. There is nothing in the world that quite tastes like that particular pastured-raised, creamy Oberheim filter. I agree with you on all points. I’ve been feasting my eyes on the Prophet 6 module, and now it makes me hesitate.[/quote]
Same as - already been putting money aside towards a P6 and considering what might be sold, but the OB6 is now looking like a very tempting alternative.

My impression from the demos is that they’re quite different sounding instruments, notwithstanding the similarities - they’ll cover similar territory, with the P6 providing a brassier, harder edge, and the OB6 coming across as maybe more subtle and “vintage”?

For my needs, after the initial surge of want for the OB6, I’m starting to lean towards the P6 again - would need to hear more demoes and ideally demo them both back to back though. My impression at the moment is that while I kinda prefer the OB’s tone, certainly for pads (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjcMp2tqpc), I just get the feeling that the Prophet is more effective for more cutting bass and lead duties.

Still, nice choice to have, both beautiful sounding instruments from everything I’ve heard, would be delighted with either. I’m also sure that there are plenty of people with deep pockets who will go for both, as well as people who will be selling their Prophets to get the OB …

Great video by Cuckoo showing us that beast:

Damn, it sounds amazing.
(Btw, thanks Cuckoo!)

Dave Smith confirms that OB-6 does share some stuff in common with Prophet 6, but also says the oscillators and some other stuff are Oberheim-designed.

I love the OB-6 sound, reminds me of old John Carpenter movies!
Way different vibe than the P-6, people seem to be overblowing the fact that it has the same form factor…

But it doesn’t feel like the mighty “collaboration” it is being billed as.[/quote]
As a very happy Karp Odyssey owner, I can easily say that Dave and Tom took what Korg and Arp did, and showed us what real pair of a pair of balls can do.

I can’t wait to try one of these out.

1 Like

After listening to some more demos and not being familiar with the Oberheim sound I’m liking what I hear.

Some of the tones are quite melancholy and dreamy which I dig.
Think I might have to sell the mighty Virus TI after 7 years and a few other bits of kit. Then save a few grand, but I think I want one of these. This synth has struck a chord with me ;-)) (sorry its bad I know…)

There’s nothing like a bond with an instrument !
Hope you’ll be able to afford it, get it and feel good about it :slight_smile:

I have begun stashing away cash for one. Talk to me after summer.

Our dollar is garbage rn. I see that being my biggest roadblock.

Here’s a link to a great video of both synths tackling similar jobs.
It seems quite clear the differences in the sounds they can generate.
The
OB 6 sounds a bit more gnarly, where as the Prophet is more sweet sounding. Ive had a Prophet 6 since the summer, and I use it mostly for its excellence in having timbral qualities to saaaaay, a nylon string or on the other end, flute-like. Purple sounding, if that’s a thing.

If I sound like I don’t know the difference between the two originals, its because I dont.

Anyways, my point here is to end the discussion about how similar the two $4000 boards are, because those similarities are only in chassis, and here merely to expedite the manufacturing and get that bad boy on our tracks. We should be sending Dave high test tequila for that, not trying to convince ourselves he fucked us.

Anyways

1 Like

There is an OB-8 at the great Paul’s Boutique for 3199CAD, still no OB-6 in the 6 yet tho.
Looking forward to getting to know the both of them.

The first time I listened to that video, I hated the lack of direct patch-to-similar patch comparisons - “warm pad” vs. “warm pad”, "brass stab’ vs “brass stab”, etc.

But I eventually came to appreciate that there really are differences in the characters of these two synths that come out after repeated review of the video.

Some folks cite that video as having “sold” them on the OB-6. For me, it presented some things in the Prophet 6’s favor, as well as the OB-6s - no “winner” for me.

I was also inspired to check out more demos of the Pro 2 as well as revisit some that I heard before. That’s actually my top choice now for a DSI synth.

Where I am sold is how incredible the Prophet is.
After owning one for a while now and learning about the early sequential boards, and recently getting to sit in a store with an OB-8, I know the OB-6 will be worth every drop of sweat it will take to acquire one.
I am very partial towards the knob per function boards I could only dream of in thd 90’s and 00’s, and now those dream chickens have come home to roost thanks to the recent wave of delivering those classics by the hands of Korg, DSI, and the competitive options Arturia and Novation are offering.

DSI is making boards that, when teamed up with how bulletproof Elektron sequencers can make your projects, they are boards that flow deep with creative fire. They make me a better player.

Anyone experienced the OB-6 yet?

So, the OB-6 is finally in the 6. Spent about 20 minutes flying through the presets and i gotta say, it is an incredible instrument. Every PRESET was rich in musicality, and i can hear so much of the Oberhiem legacy throughout what i managed to hear before the texts to hurry up and come home for dinner became overwhelming. Really excited to spend more time with it, and even more so to start saving up for it.