Whats the Most Interesting Synth(standalone)

Operator for software, Monomachine for hardware.

I like digital synths that can get weird. I like Operator so much I’ve thought of getting a Digitone many times, as it could be nice to have access to those sounds away from the computer (then easy tracking with Overbridge when I’m ready). Seeing so much love for the DN here is going to make me go on another youtube spree…

For analog stuff, it’s probably the least interesting synth, but I have endless love for the sweet and musical sounds my Roland SH-01A makes.

3 Likes

Digitone, Monomachine & OP-1

2 Likes

some all time faves in terms of power and performance

Nord Modular G1 and G2
Virus TI
Waldorf Microwave XTk
Kurzweil K2000
Korg Prophecy
Digitone
Octatrack
Ensoniq SD1
Yamaha MODx/FS1r
SY77
Waldorf Quantum
Kawai K5000s
Monomachine
Machinedrum
Lyra 8
MS20
Yamaha CS30
Nord Lead 3
EMS Synthi AKS
Poly Evolver

7 Likes

:elmm:

3 Likes

Isn’t the word ‘synth’ singular?!

technically it is, but then who has 1 synth? :man_dancing:

From all the synthesizers you’ve owned which ONE do you consider to be the most interesting from sound exploration.

3 Likes

Hardware: Soma Lyra 8
Software: FM8

Have not touched FM8 in years though. Maybe I am ready for a hardware FM device. (Waiting for what Korg comes up with their teased Opsix, settling on a DN is always an option though).

1 Like

:thinking: do you mean hardware?

1 Like

Analog sounding stuff :wink: (I probably should have said subtractive)

SH-01A might be digital but to me it sounds as good or better than any of the real analog hardware I’ve used.

3 Likes

I have to say I absolutely love my Peak for this. So many insane possibilities. It has so much going on under the hood, you can really get some insane, unexpected results from it. Other than that, the 0-coast is great fun. It can get a little limited, but it’s basically a giant sweet spot, and I constantly find myself coming up with new tricks to get weird sounds out of it.

3 Likes

If rotten tomatoes were a thing for synths, it seems like the ob6 gets close to 100% from critics and audience alike, I almost never read a bad thing about it. But I’ve only seen it mentioned here a couple times. Is it not considered “interesting”? Like is it the kind of synth that is a giant sweet spot but not that interesting where you can take the sounds to crazy places?

1 Like

I believe such question would receive more appropriate answers here:

:slight_smile:
But yes, it’s a marvelous synth, and you can go weird as well!

Ah got it. Thank you!

1 Like

it’s got a good sound but a basic architecture, with only 1 LFO, limited routing, standard analog oscs, etc. not a whole lot of flexibility there.

Probably the Pro2 for sound exploration me… for standalone jams probably the analog 4. Analog 4 has a decent amount of depth also though and using the sequencer with parameter slides you can get to some weird ass territory.

3 Likes

Have an iPad? Try out Mononoke! It’s based (supposedly) on the Lyra 8. I’m loving it so far.

I do, I’ll try it thanks for the recommendation!

Op-1, then Blofeld & Ms-20 mini
(out of the synths I own which are the only synths I’ve used)

I don’t necessarily feel the Op-1 sounds BETTER, I just feel it’s more interesting to design sounds given some of the “unconventional” ways you can shape them - The different parameters available in each synth & being able to move a patch made in 1 synth to another synth, plus the 4 track tape & samplers gives a lot of possibilities.

For example you can make a synth patch, then send that patch to another synth which has a whole nother set of parameters, reshape it, add an effect, lfo, ect, then sample that patch, shape it in the sampler, add another effect, lfo, ect, then record that to tape, add layers, add effects, then, then, then, then , then on & on forever if you like.

It’s endless & a different way of designing sounds in 1 box.

1 Like

While Mononoke is nice, I prefer Shoom, which has much more features.

To get back on-topic:

My two picks for “most interesting synth I own”:

1. A4, because its versality
  2. K5000S, because - well, there are not many additive synths out there and it compliments any subtractive synth nicely

The best “synth-a-like” (no contender if taking the title verbally):

Octatrack