Tips and Tricks for the Performance Mode

Hi all,

Do you have any tips how to use the Performance mode?

I make House Music and I don’t want to use too much delay or reverb.
Mostly I just use the mixer in the performance mode which is really convenient btw.

I think there are many possibilities.

3 Likes

hi, considering almost all of the parameters can be controlled in the performance mode,
it really means you can do what ever you can imagine with the performance mode
for example pitch shifting, changing the decay release levels, the filters, resonance, noise, fx, and even the parameters within the fx
Not quite as intuitive as the OTs scenes but pretty close

1 Like

I mainly using it for instrument volume levels, 303 type tweaking & delay or release amounts for transitions.

Reading the manual i shocked at this:

Is it?

I mean cannot I lock on sequencer DataEntry values for Performance Mode?

No, you can >>> :joy:

Yes, you can’t >>> :sob:

you cannot parameter lock the performance macro encoder values, but you can p-lock any or all of the parameters addressed by that performance knob - so you can get the same result ultimately, it’s called ‘performance’ for a reason i guess !

2 Likes

Whatever…

I listened to some kit reloading from yt video…it brings feelings back to those beautiful noises i’ve only heard on Machinedrum…yeaaaah!

I’m interested to know what this means. Do you mean transitions between patterns, parameter slides, something else? It sounds exciting. :slight_smile:

I’m interested to know what this means. Do you mean transitions between patterns, parameter slides, something else? It sounds exciting. :slight_smile: [/quote]
Lets say I was doing an acid techno track, and I wanted to kill the synth elements to let the drums take the spot light. I didn’t necessarily want the synths to just stop, so… what I often did was program a macro where turning 1 knob would increase the delay volume of each synth as well as the feedback of the master delay parameter so the synths repeats would get loud and longer and fad into oblivion.
Another option was to make a macro where turning one knob would increase the release time for each synth so they would fade away instead of just ending. Then I would do a kit reload to kill this by hitting “NO + KIT”
Regards,
M.

5 Likes

I’m interested to know what this means. Do you mean transitions between patterns, parameter slides, something else? It sounds exciting. :slight_smile: [/quote]
Lets say I was doing an acid techno track, and I wanted to kill the synth elements to let the drums take the spot light. I didn’t necessarily want the synths to just stop, so… what I often did was program a macro where turning 1 knob would increase the delay volume of each synth as well as the feedback of the master delay parameter so the synths repeats would get loud and longer and fad into oblivion.
Another option was to make a macro where turning one knob would increase the release time for each synth so they would fade away instead of just ending. Then I would do a kit reload to kill this by hitting “NO + KIT”
Regards,
M.

2 Likes

In this track, you can sort of hear what I was going for. Unfortunately I hit the kit reload before I should have… so the echo’s kind of stopped sooner than they were supposed to:
https://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci/i-love-zuza-live-hardware-acid

Regards,
M.

Nice track! I actually like how the delay is cut off prematurely. Cooler people than me would describe it as ‘ghetto’.

I like the idea of using a performance macro to prepare a track to be muted, using delay or reverb. I might borrow that trick!

I might be stupid altogether, but I need info on how you set the TRACK [T1-T4, FX, CV] on which the parameter is affected. I think I have tried all ways I can think of and the manual doesn’t tell me. Or does it?

The manual says:
”Select from which tracks parameters will be assigned by click- pressing DATA ENTRY knobs A-E.”
But click-pressing does not change the tracks, only the parameters.

Pushing the top encoder takes you through the tracks in order. Turning it sets the parameter, the bottom one is for the value.
I tend to use the encoders like this:

In this way they line up with the volume sliders when you press the Performance button a second time. It means I have two different ways to modify each track (and the modifications add together to make interesting new stuff). The two last encoders are typically used for FX, even simple stuff like increasing each track’s send while extending the reverb decay time.

2 Likes

Ah! “click-pressing” means click-pressing! (not click-turning) I am obviously reading poorly. :slight_smile:

I think it is the first time I experience this kind of user-interaction-method on an Elektron device. Wouldn’t it be more intuitive to use function+turning or click-turning or even the arrow buttons?

However, thanks for help.

It can be slightly odd depending on your finger accuracy. I find that pushing without accidentally turning can be difficult after a smoke of da 'erb.

Hello guys, my questions are:

1. if it is possible to control from performance knobs the parameters from only one trig.
    I have parameter lock a trig in a synth sequence and i want only this trig to be controlled
    ???

2. Is it possible to raise or decrease all four tracks’ volume in perf mixer page stilmunateausly?

3. What “bipolar” means? The message that you get when pressing the level knob in perf page?

1 No
2 With a rubber band, four hands - or just in Perf encoder page
3 A pitchbend wheel is bipolar - a mod wheel isn’t generally

mono polar gives only positive modulation (or one way from zero)
bi polar gives positive and negative modulation

there are ways to deploy perf mode adjustments to affect only one trig, but this would require excluding stuff from the others, you can’t isolate as it were

Thanks! Got it now :wink:

Pushing the top encoder takes you through the tracks in order. Turning it sets the parameter, the bottom one is for the value.
I tend to use the encoders like this:

In this way they line up with the volume sliders when you press the Performance button a second time. It means I have two different ways to modify each track (and the modifications add together to make interesting new stuff). The two last encoders are typically used for FX, even simple stuff like increasing each track’s send while extending the reverb decay time.
[/quote]
This is such a great tip. I’ve been taking the time to go back through my kits to rearrange my Perf macros in this manner.
Fortunately, Overbridge has made that task easier than it would have otherwise been.

1 Like

What are your best performance macro setup tips?
What does your favourite settings looks like?