Any way to use LFOs to vary which trigs play in a pattern?

I’m looking for a way to quickly make variations in patterns by muting certain trigs, only playing first/last trigs, etc. without having to manually mute/unmute them. Ideally something I can mess around with to get interesting/random trig patterns.

I was hoping the LFO assigned to note velocity would be good for this but I found that you can’t assign the note page to LFOs. LFO to amp vol doesn’t do what I’m looking for as I want to mute the trigs, not cut off the audio/sustain.

Is there any way to quick make changes to which notes play using an automated/LFO type method or is the only option to use trig mutes?

Conditional trigs?

2 Likes

Probability and Fills.

1 Like

I don’t think that’ll work for what I’m after, I want to introduce these types of changes more directly when playing rather than setting it all in advance and then letting it spiral off or switching between two pre-programmed variations.

If there’s no other way then setting all the trigs to FILL and then manually pressing/holding the page button looks like the best compromise. I was just hoping there was a slightly more interesting way of generating this type of thing and the LFO seemed like it might be ideal.

EDIT - Are fills recordable in any way or is it just a performance thing and I’ll need to capture any interesting stuff externally?

I’m afraid not. Would be cool if Elektron was to improve the seq a little bit since it’s such a big part of these machines. Different play modes and ways to modulate its behavior.

2 Likes

Multiple patterns and direct jump?

2 Likes

Ah I’d forgotten about direct jump. Haven’t used it for ages, that could be good, I’ll give it a go

1 Like

you cannot use an lfo to direct jump …

No, but it provides a mechanism for playing variations of a pattern.

1 Like

there’s also performance mode if you haven’t looked into it yet…not sure if it could/would work for what you’re after

1 Like

With a macro on tracks lfos you should be able to cut trigs you want. For example if you switch to an inverted square lfo on volume or filter…
Set the depth amount on the trigs you want to play or not.

Direct jump can be also done with multimap notes, eventually from A4 with midi loopback. You can imagine different versions of patterns with muted trigs…

Example with external kb, no direct jumb but arp controlling patterns with notes.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m getting some nice results with fills and direct jump and will try out LFOs on the other params.

I’m often setting all trigs in a pattern to FILL now, looks like you can’t set this by default (so that any new trigs are on FILL), is the quickest way to do this just pressing multiple trigs and p-locking condition to fill? Not a bit hassle, just wondered if there was an easier way.

Thanks, might give MIDI loopback a try as it looks like it opens up some fun options. Probs don’t want to get too attached to it though as I can’t use it in my MIDI setup once I reconnect the A4 to my other gear.

I think so, unless you prepare templates with a trigless plocked with FILL on each step !

Suits for standalone use. Brings 2 additional tracks. Crappy sound example, fx track controls Multimap, cv track plays additionnal notes to track 1.

With a track with probability you should be able to control patterns changes randomly if properly set in Multimap. Random transpositions…

Playing Soundpool drums sounds the most interesting thing to try first imho.

3 Likes

Do you, or anyone, know what stand is holding the A4 in this video?

Home made. :wink:

2 Likes

Very cool!