Thoughts about music making n OT

Sorry about the tone

Show me an mpc song that would be difficult to do on an octatrack :wink:
What is musical for you?

Lets not go there. An entire musical culture built itself using MPC, In about 2 years from when the mpc was released it was THE device for hip hop and any other sample based genre.
Hard to say something remotely simillar about OT 10 year into its existence. But im scrard to get scolded here… so enough…

1 Like

I think both are great, but despite some obvious similarities on paper, I use them very differently.
I rarely use my OT now for things I feel I can do better or more intuitively on the Digitakt - I prefer the Digitakt result and process to get there. I don’t think I’d ever get to the Digitakt result even if technically the OT could probably near-replicate it. However I simply can’t use the Digitakt to achieve many things only the OT can do.
Neither of them trumps the other sufficiently to make me want to sell the other.

That’s not what I was asking for :wink:

1 Like

Im just saying that when
Producing professional music you gotta separate the boy from the man. Thats all. I haven’t heard anything serious done on ot.

Cuckoo is not the octatrack and dilla not the mpc. Besides that this is a very stupid comparison it’s still the musician that does the music not the tool. Dilla could have done dilla music on an octatrack as well

2 Likes

Hip-hop started long before the MPC. DJs and emcees = hiphop

MPC rocking studio catz, that’s hiphop 2.0

1 Like

‘Professional’ as an attribute of music - is that based on commercial success, subjective listener taste, peer legitimacy/fanboy consensus or technical skills?

1 Like

If you read back what i wrote in the first post you will see what i mean. OT has a tendency to pull the user to noodle jammy terrotory. Not necessarily to timeless qualities of music such as in so many records made with the mpc. Each device has its draw and things it brings out of the user.
I asked to be proven wrong but havent yet. Thats all im saying.

Naww man. To me it very much sounds like you’ve already made up your mind.

Good day

2 Likes

I’ve never understood the idea that certain instruments lead the user to create a certain type of music.

Besides, if we are gonna pigeon hole elektron, everyone knows all their boxes are good for is techno. :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

YI get what you mean - the likes of the MPC (or a guitar) seem to connect more directly with the producer/musician to inject soul.

OT can be more about ‘programming’ and ultimately it is a sequencer amongst its other features.

In a way, that the Digitakt lacks arrangement mode makes it a more likely hands-on performance instrument as you have little option but to engage with it to navigate through an entire piece - to the audience this might appear more like a real musical endeavor where the performer’s live actions actually matter, rather than a heavily pre-programmed ‘just hit play’ performance.

Personally I prefer music with interesting flaws, groove and mojo than micro perfect robot formulaicism. But that is true regardless of the instrument used. There is a lot of awfully boring music produced on every instrument - but somebody somewhere might love it.
Don’t get me started on dubstep, trap, edm :joy:

2 Likes

Tsutek- It doesnt matter what it sounds to you like. I am dying to hear serious music made on ot. Haven’t yet.

Jefones- of course instruments influence the performer

Try the thread High profile OT users?

you might find some of the affirmation you seek there

2 Likes

Thanks mokomo

What do you consider “serious music”. If I recall correctly both Trent Reznor and Alessandro Cortini have used the OT on albums and film scores. That seems pretty serious to me.

1 Like

Would love to hear that. But using sometimg for an effect is still an effect. Was it a main instrument in the composition?

Guys im sorry I shouldn’t have said all of this. At the end its all fun and games. Not sure why i got so serious and abnoxious…
Keep rockin. Ignore this thread…

3 Likes