Thoughts about music making n OT

A lot of what i hear online, done with the OT, and a lot of what happens to me using the OT, sounds a lot like brainiak or very primitive stuff that has a lot to do with trying to explore an instrument that is very menu diving oriented and not extremely intuitive. I find that trying to play things that are super easy on any other keyboard, sampler, looper or drum machine, take so much more time and fiddling on the OT, that the end result sounds like a lot of sweat for very limited results, musically speaking.
However, for stuttering glitchy random noise stuff this machine is really really great so id say, if that’s your thing OT is king. But for any music that an audience outside of yourself might enjoy, id go with other instruments. MPC, or Analog Rytm on the other hand, seems a lot more musical thanks to the pads and flow.
Id love to be proven wrong. Thanks!

3 Likes

Politely disagree completely

6 Likes

The OT is just a tool that is used across many different genres with results as varied as the people who use it.

3 Likes

Here’s a beat I made on OT, wouldn’t describe it as glitchy at all. It’s a sampler, hence you can make anything with it. As for menu diving you’ve just gotta get muscle memory. It seems illogical for a good while but once it clicks it’s a non issue. Granted it does lend itself to elektronic music but you can use it for anything you want really, obviously if you chop it up and bang rapid fire retrigs on everything it will sound glitchy

10 Likes

The amount of trolling on electronic music equipment forums keeps hitting peak after peak. I really have to wonder what Putin has to gain by relentlessly going after Elektron, but I guess destabilizing the Swedish tech sector is cheap and easy, and has territorial economic and influence benefits.

15 Likes

Elektron workflow takes time and the OT is the most complex instrument they make. Once you learn it is quite powerful. Here is a jam that I made the other day:

I don’t agree with the OP at all
I play mine like an instrument https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owy_m1dQlY
It took practice to develop muscle memory, and technical theory, just like learning keys, drums, guitar or any other instrument.

I love how basically everyone uses the Octatrack completely differently, the same cannot be said for a guitar for example.

3 Likes

:joy:

shrug
I bought my OT so I could get a bit more “techno” than the usual prog space metal I make with other instruments. Having said that, I’ve been using it for a lot of different styles, but mostly styles that I can’t easily make with other gear.

2 Likes

lol.

i found OT sound to be very underwhelming. digitakt on the other hand is outstanding.
i also think that its more suited to glitch by being more direct and a better designed instrument on the whole IMHO.

Funny before I bought my OT, I tried all the Elektron boxes include the Digitakt. I wanted more capable long term possibilities so the OT won. Digitakt is still good and for a complete noob to Elektron, it is what I recommend. I just cranked out a fun beat just with samples now on my OT and was pretty easy now that I have the basics of it:

Great to hear all kinds of stuff

From what I know the US is way longer and deeper in the hack and troll business… What makes you think its Putin…:slight_smile:

Surely you can make all types of beats on the OT, however, on the MPC you would make an entire song, play beats and lines with ease on dynamic sensitive pads and have the song done by the time it takes to make 4 bars that sound like music on the OT. My experience, but we’ll see. Im giving muscle memory a chance. Its just that the interface is all but musical to me. Again, your milage may vary and it could be me…

The arranger mode on the OT lets you make entire songs and tracks. I am learning it as a new OT owner and it is quite powerful. I tried the MPC and could not enjoy working with it but the pads and color touch screen are quite nice.

2 Likes

River wrote:
"I don’t agree with the OP at all
I play mine like an instrument https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owy_m1dQlY 11
It took practice to develop muscle memory, and technical theory, just like learning keys, drums, guitar or any other instrument.

I love how basically everyone uses the Octatrack completely differently, the same cannot be said for a guitar for example."

Are you comparing playing back Funky Drummer for the millionth time to actually playing guitar…??
hehe your tripping bra

Did you join this forum just to complain?

1 Like

Calling people here “fanboys” just because they like the products is a bit silly imo.

4 Likes

I personally don’t. I can definitely understand some people’s frustrations about Elektron gear. It’s the tone that I can’t deal with.

1 Like