Thinking of moving from an Analog4 to a Digitone

I am planning to upgrade my A4 mk1 for a digitone…
Because of size, because of midi (does the Digitone has a midi arpeggiator?), more midi voices, more synth voices…
What will I miss? (Excepted song mode that I don’t use…)
I play electronic/digital punk/hardcore, dub, industrial and kind of breakcore… I will pair it with a digitakt. Digitakt does drums, rythms and noises. I use external effects on aux, distortions/delays/reverbs.
Thank you!

1 Like

No. You can read the specs on the elektron website.

Analogue subtractive synthesis? CV outputs? The effects? The round buttons? Maybe nothing?

2 Likes

I’d switch… much nicer / tidier UI/UX. Then when the A4 gets a super big FW update, I’d think about it again (an mk2 though). Also it’s so nice to reach everything (even combos) with one hand.

1 Like

I swapped my A4 mk1 for a Digitone and have not missed anything.

But that is my experience, yours may be different.

1 Like

Expected outcomes when tweaking … can also be a good thing, but the ‘traditional’ synthesis of the A4 is more predictable. FX p-locking is also quite nice on A4 and mighty CV as mentioned is the main loss - send FX are apparently the same iirc.

2 Likes

I find DN to be more predictable (if you leave the FM part out).

2 Likes

I moved from DT to A4 and love it!
If I were you, I’d only move for a DTK (not a DT)

2 Likes

*DNK as in Digitone Keys you mean…?

1 Like

Hi, yes, Digitone Keys. I know it’s bigger but offers a lot over the DT (imo).
Have fun whatever you do.

2 Likes

So now that you really convinced me, I am searching for one in my area… I’ll find out if it works for me by myself…
I won’t miss CV outs, I only use midi sequencing for the minitaur.
I use cv for a Metasonix scrotum smasher but not CV from the analog4 but from a Moog CP251.
And sound wise I think/hope digitone can be much more aggressive than A4.

1 Like

This is kind of vague.

They sound completely different though, that would be my main consideration in swapping them… functionality would be secondary.

I have both of them, and I think they compliment each other well, they mix/blend well.

1 Like
  • Being able to sequence and modulate effects parameters.

• Using external audio as a sound source/oscillator or processing external audio through several analog filters and overdrives at once.

• Much more robust modulation possibilities, with twice as many LFO destinations, 3 different envelopes with multiple destinations, and many more “hidden” modulations under yhe hood.

• Performance mode macros.

• CV out and CV in, which you could use to create additional blips and other sounds, or use to sequence and modulate several parameters at once.

• Note slide, Parameter slide, Accent, etc.

That all said, I do like the Digitone a lot, especially the sequencer, but I’d try to keep the A4 if at all possible.

2 Likes

Well. They are different, aren’t they? These things are a great sonic pair, why don’t have both?

*DN :wink: DT == Digitakt

1 Like

Aggressive, I mean ear drilling ultra violence!

That’s not an upgrade, the Digitone is simpler despite the voice difference.

…u goona miss some truu analog flavour…but hey…adding a heat will get u almost back to where u came from…just with more easy overview and more voices tan can even steal from each other…which is is really a nice limitation with great benefits end of the day…

1 Like

It’s not a downgrade, either. More of a lateral shift. You lose some things, you gain some things, a lot is the same or very similar. But for the OP it’s a new and exciting machine. Hopefully that excitement lasts.

2 Likes

The sequencer lacks key features like direct change, etc. what do you gain except FM and four voices?

Not knocking the unit I thought it sounded great but the functionality was more limited than the AK in numerous ways. Like, does anyone think the DT is as hard to master as the AK? That’s why, the AK is markedly more complex.