Thinking of moving from an Analog4 to a Digitone

I have both of them and use them in different moods or for different purposes. Four more voices doubles the count; it mostly means you don’t have to think about it, and the four separate MIDI tracks means you don’t have to think about that as much, either. And DN is more immediate in its use. Yes, the sound design is more limited in many ways, but it is also easier to get interesting variations. Don’t get me wrong, I think the A4mk1 is the #1 bargain in synths right now, and if one can hang onto it, one should. But if one isn’t using the A4, or is tired of it, and can’t afford to keep it while adding gear, the DN is a reasonable move. I’m a great fan of complexity that takes time to master, but not everyone is.

3 Likes

I made the switch about 2 years ago now, there are some things I still miss about the A4. But my creative output has been much more varied and unique with the DN.

I’d really love to find another cheap A4 one day, such a beautiful machine!

1 Like

I sold my Digitakt and Digitone to get an A4 MK2. Then I ended up buying the Digitakt and Digitone again and have all three… Plus an Octatrack and AH.

I dunno, I like all of them. A4 is dope, I love all the modulations that are built in, I love the noise and the parameters for it, and being able to sequence the effects I a big plus, where the Digitone is pretty much static effects unless you decide to mess around with the parameters, such a bummer that they can’t be sequenced…

But Digitone is a beefier sounding synth. It does bass better than the A4 and 8 voices is nice. But A4s voice sharing modes can be really fun and unique to play around with.

2 Likes

I don’t reall get the question.
One based on Phase Moulation,
The other one is a 2osc+ subosc analog subtractive.

IMO definatly keep the A4, it can sound like the DN will never be able too and vice versa

1 Like

Sequence your Digitone effectparameters via a miditrack from your Octatrack or Digitakt :muscle:

3 Likes

Great idea, I will do it with the Analog4 now and I will do it later with digitone…
I mostly play live, and I don’t use song mode, I play patterns on both instruments, and I almost never change both at the same time, so the same synth pattern can have different effects sequencing… I had never thought about it before… thank you!

1 Like

I did this long ago because the substractive synthesis was kinda frustrating/limited (although the A4 is pretty cool for a substractive synth and even as a drum machine) for me and I don’t miss anything. They do sound really different though, so the first thing you should consider is the sound palette you want.

1 Like

I don’t need as much sound design possibilities and modulation as the A4 offers, I do prefer a simpler instrument, sound wise any way I’ll process it through distortion… :wink:
I like both of them but I can’t afford having too much gear… If so I would keep A4 and have both, I do prefer the digitakt format, sequencer and workflow, I guess Digitone workflow might be pretty close, and digitone is 8 voices so I can have 4 monophonic synth voices and one 4 voices polyphonic voice, and sequence my Minitaur for bass lines and still have 7 midi voices to control an akai mpx8 or mpx16 for melodic samples…

I do prefer a simpler instrument

FM/PM synthesis is not simpler than substractive synthesis, but the Digitone is by far the easiest in this field (and I had a lot of them, from DX7 to Digitone). It’s both easy to use and pretty deep.

I guess Digitone workflow might be pretty close

Yes it is. I prefer to do midi chords with the Digitakt though.

2 Likes

Remember that tracks are four, so 3 mono and 1 poly (5 voices) eventually

1 Like

Thank you for making it clear!
Anyway 3 mono and one poly is enough for me…