The Virus TI2 desktop made me sell all my synths

I have the polar and agree

It’s such a beast and really sounds analog

Plus sequencing via Octatrack really brings it alive

2 Likes

Question

Anyone using Overbridge and Virus ti control?

I was having huge issues with my Rytm and couldn’t figure out why even the local Elektron service guys couldn’t figure it out we where all scratching our heads fir a while…

Figured out eventually it was Virus usb fighting Overbridge for the clock and latency correction.

I’ve given up on virus control but not the virus

don’t even go there :wink:
MIDI is good plus the D/A on Virus is good, get a reasonable sound card.

2 Likes

Try VirusHC from Mystery Island (uses the Midi ports) and use the jack outputs to your audio interface. Should be much better when running Overbridge.

2 Likes

as we are talking about virus: i had a TI, then sold it. Now i have a view other hardware synths and i am also a lot into iOs.
As someone is offering me quite cheap Virus B, there goes my question:

is there any reason to choose it over a few good iOs AUv3 synths nowadays ? i mean: besides the hands on feeling of the knobs: purely regarding sound design possibilites / sound variety / sound quality. At the end of the day, considering they’re both digital, the ipad should be much more powerful cpu-wise. I do own good audio interfaces. thnx !

some software on a device you use for your email is not a musical instrument,
don’t mean to be rude. Different ball park

i have to disagree. from this point of view also a iMac pro with the latest VSTs “is not an instrument” (and it’s not, but it can replace a virus)
An iPad with a moog model 15 softsynth, just to mention one, a good controller and a decent audio interface, can sound pretty good. And a virus, which btw i loved, is a CPU with midi, audio in, audio out, just like the iPad is. But after all, that was exactly my question: what are the real advantages, soundwise ?

2 Likes

yeah, understand what you are saying, for all intensive purposes an iMac with a hot audio interface can get close with some VSTs. Personally though, I feel there is something to be said for a purpose built synth with all its dedicated DSPs and circuitry or analogue oscillators and a physical interface which doesn’t need to be mapped to a controller and doesn’t change over the years.
Its horses for courses, but if it is anything to go by, the pros use hardware synths like DSI stuff especially on stage. They just sound better. Cough cough… I have an OB-6 and it is FULL sounding.

1 Like

Not this shit again lol. Plenty of pros use laptops with midi controllers.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right. That’s the reason i own only hardware synths and i’m working computer- and daw-less. I’m "cheating " with the iPad, just to prevent myself from buying every piece of hardware, to have something that fills some gaps and helps me recording & do a little bit of post-processing.

and that is true as well :wink:

yeah, love Reaktor Grooveboxes for the top loops, and then drop a modular synth kick drum like Boomtscak. Software is great.

what level of Pro are we talking here, stadium level or something lesser

I had no problems using virus, digitone, digitakt, heat at the same time…

1 Like

I stopped using Virus Control a while ago and haven’t looked back. I now sequence the Virus from the OT using multi mode and it’s everything I need. Virus control was certainly ahead of its time though!

3 Likes

FWIW the Peak feels extremely solid and well made to me. No issues yet and I’ve not heard of any concerns in that area.

I am, but it doesn’t always work. I have Virus connected to my MacPro, via a separate Overhub to Rytm and AK.

the peak has a plugin editor, its def not TI but its better for setting up mod than the small screen.

This thread made me revisit my Ti2, it really is amazing even in 2019, just used it in my latest production alongside DUNE 3vst. So f&@king good!!!

4 Likes

Mystery Island crashes my daw the split second I make the first knob adjustment… I shit you not