The Virus TI2 desktop made me sell all my synths

It actually looks kinda like something Access would design.

I’ve been tempted to get a virus for years but was always put off by people talking about a fair amount of menu diving. What are people’s view on this? I’m still trying to decide on a workhorse desktop synth module to be sequenced by my digitakt…

It has a ton of features and a ton of knobs/buttons. Generally speaking I wouldn’t say there is that much menu diving, everything is pretty close to the surface. Killer synth, get one, especially sequenced with Digitakt, timing will be very tight

It’s really not too bad. …but I tend to work with the plug-in for sound design and then copy patches to RAM slots for gigging. Relatively minor tweaks from there.

I find modulation set-up, in creative ways at least, easier and faster with the plug-in’s GUI.

Awesome short documentary about the history of the Virus and the company behind it.

2 Likes

Hi MKDSL . . .
Did you manage to solve this problem?
I have the same issue as I have my DN also in the midi chain and don’t want the AV responding to the stuff intended for the DN.
Cheers

No, never resolved this. :neutral_face:

Bugger

Hey…
Question…i have a snow and im limited to just 4 maximum channels so forgive me if there is something im missing…my question is why your need is for sequencer mode…? Multi mode on the snow at least is just a more in depth version of sequencer mode. And gives you the option to select what midi channel for which voice…you can stack all 4 to the same for a massive sound etc…what is the reason that you need to keep it sequencer mode and not multi???

Easier program change. Had to program multi for every occasion, this way I would have used just the OT program change stored per part. Suits my workflow.
Sold the virus so don’t need this anymore.

Hey Prints, what are you rocking these days?

Reading this old thread, your setup looks familiar. I ended up selling all me gear and am happily using:

• Access Virus TI2
  • Pyramid Squarp
  • Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 (instead of the digitakt)
  • E-mu Proteus 2000 (instead of the Integra-7)

It’s funny, after getting the Virus, all my GAS disappeared, until I saw you mention the Integra (which I’ve been lusting for a while on now)…

Just wondering if I should swap the E-mu for the Integra, and Toraiz to go OT (or MPC)

1 Like

I’ve been loving using just the Roland Integra-7 paired with the Squarp Pyramid running through an Elektron Analog Heat lately. Interestingly, I’ve shifted my focus more to composition, and enjoy just using the presets from the Integra-7.

I also have a Roland SP-404A (that matches the Squarp Pyramid aesthetically very well IMO) I could easily incorporate if I wanted. I really like how the Integra-7 has a pair of stereo inputs that can be used to mix in outside sound sources.

I’ve been digging having a mini battery-powered rig as well though, consisting of the SP-404A and a Teenage Engineering OP-Z; you can do so much with just these two.

4 Likes

Nice. Thanks for the info

Nice simple setup there. Been considering an mpc live or the Squid for a self contained setup with my integra lately.

can’t choose between the Virus Ti2 and the Novation Summit right now…!

hard call, just listened to Summit demo, sounds like it do Prophet type sounds plus more digital stuff.

I personally found it a bit less digital than the Prophet! but yes I’d say similar, it has a really, really nice analog filter and high res (FPGA) oscillators, so it can sound pretty creamy. I don’t like that it’s made in China tho, the Virus is solid engineering and has stood the test of time, the Peak/Summit are relatively new

1 Like

As much as I love my old Virus, it is old tech, the Summit FPGA plus analogue filters is a nice combo. I would personally go for the Summit ignoring any potential build quality issues. Nick Batt likes the Summit for what its worth.

1 Like

Just thought I’d add that the build quality of the virus hardware (I have the TI2 polar) is pretty much unmatched to this day on any other synth I’ve seen or played. It’s such a joy to interact with and sounds incredible.

3 Likes

yeah I have the TI Polar, its built like a tank, however I would say the PS failed about 4 years ago so now I have a wall wart PS. I started sequencing it the other day with my Digitone and using drums from DN. That combination is so tight, thinking of getting a DT to use with Virus.
There is definitely something to be said for a box that is capable in the drum department and has good MIDI sequencing

1 Like