The Octatrack is amazing

That’s a very long sentence you wrote there :wink:

The workflow would have to be seriously f***ed up to choose e Digitakt instead for a workflow matter.
As you said, it is still an Elektron workflow. I never had a Digitakt neither any other machine before the OT and i did not find the workflow very esoteric. Maybe because i never had anything before :wink:
I guess you’ll forget/forbid any workflow issue once you’ll fall for the OT (you will, you know it :wink: )

2 Likes

DT workflow is just very quick. It’s more limited and thus easier to get some things going fast.
Reverb and delay are much better as well. However they are send fx , not per track.

Octatrack is a magic box. It can do so many things and it’s very experimental. More complex yet it’s really not as long as you don’t try to make it do all things at once. It’s incredible in how deep it is and how many weird places you can get to.

All in all I don’t really see that many similarities between the two. Wildly different workflows.

7 Likes

yes this is the crux, also because personally I’m already a believer that one can acclimate to any workflow from experience, but that’s a bias I’m trying to objectively detach from. Some people say the octatrack has no workflow issues, some say it has terrible workflow issues and that’s why they sold it and got an digitakt, some say they left the digitakt for the octatrack and love it and all of these people feel strongly about how they feel which makes perfect sense since everything is subjective… but on some level there is objectivity. It’s such a different animal to ponder than say between an mpc x and an mpc one, or mpc 2000xl…

personally I can imagine going from an digitakt to an octa but not the other way around unless there is really something there that I can’t call… like a real funfactor difference or something… ?

and I know they are different, maybe somehow internally I’m trying to see them too similarly … cause I see people going for two digitakts instead of an octatrack, or two octatracks, or being so happy about leaving the digi behind for the octa and vice versa it’s all mind boggling hahaha…

and I’ve watched most of your vids Dave, you obviously have the mind for the octatrack but I think you use the digitakt more right?

Both is always the answer!

2 Digitakts and 2 octatracks.

8 Likes

Pattern mutes
Audio notes length live recording
Midi notes possible overlap
Midi notes length in steps, longer time possible
Probability
+/- 2 octaves pitch

Already mentioned:
Program Change per step
2 independent Fx send
Side chain compressor

8 Likes

Also… trig mutes. Octatrack would be amazing if it had trig mutes instead of audio mutes for audio tracks.

4 Likes

to make matters worse the Rytm users are like the black sheep of the family, like why did they choose the rytm over the digitakt or the octrack… outside of the analog ( not trying to annoy ) it’s just that there are people who buy the rytm for reasons other than the analog processing.

I guess for those that don’t find them interchangeable the answer is probably self explanatory ,but for those that do find or think of them as interchangeable it’s not easy to pin down their reasonings all the time…

1 Like

What is the unit about on the OT?

What’s this? Is it not on the OT?

What about setting amp VOL to -64 for a trig?

Lets say you want to mute tracks 3 5 and 7, while playing live, but maintain sample envelopes and effects tails. Can you do that with above method? No.
Can Digitakt do it? Yes.
Can octatrack do it? No. Because its mute operation mutes the audio, not the trigs.

1 Like

I thought that’s what TTRG on FX1 in Amp menu was for.

Agree the trig mutes are nice :slightly_smiling_face: while we’re brainstorming … could you set amp vol via a scene? Obviously would not be as convenient, just thinking of trying to get close if one really wanted

@Blasted_pingin re: audio note length. No. If you live record into an audio track it will not record the length you hold the note. All notes will default to the AHR envelope. You can go in and trig lock the length. Give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only live record drums hits :wink:

Sorry but what is AHR for?

Attack Hold Release envelope. I believe that’s what the OT has

TTRG deals with trigless trigs I believe. A good one to consult the manual on, it’s a subtle but powerful lil feature

TTRG will, if the multi mode filter is assigned to FX1, make the filter envelope start from the cur- rent envelope level instead of starting from zero when a sample trig or trigless trig is being trigged. If the amplitude modulator is assigned to FX1 the phase will be restarted each time a sample trig or a trigless trig is trigged.

Analog is only concerning the Sample Trigs, not the trigless trigs.

I discovered that feature today only in a video, i have yet to try as the manual is not so clear to me.

Something weird and not very useful.
Some values like 1/32th 1/16th, 1/1, etc…

With an external midi controller, if you hold a note and release it in audio tracks live recording mode, the note length (note off) is not taken in account in the recording (Hold should be modified).

1 Like

It’s funny, it look like the Digitakt “Drum Computer” is better as a synth and melodie sequencing and the Octatrack is better as drum computer…

5 Likes

Agree on ‘synth’ and melody bit.
I think digitakt is a better drum machine.

OT is the better dynamic performance sampler.

2 Likes

Post 1.4 update, it’s definitely worth considering.

I just picked up a mk1. I havent been following the OS notes/patch notes.
Last time I checked/used it (2017) the note off wasnt recorded into the sequencer while playing the OT “keyboard”. Has this feature been added by any chance?
Note off is registered - recorded on my digitone by default