The Octatrack is amazing

Agree 100% in fact I just tested out a new set on mine last night after moving into larger studio space and cranking it so techno instantly.

For me to do the same on modular/Eurorack requires way more gear, money and time. I love my eurorack modular gear but for a quick portable jam machine and sampler there is not much out there that beats it in one small package. I can do an entire show with just the amazing Octatrack and sample modular and remix and chop up voice mails for beats.

3 Likes

Still learning about the OT before the purchase. Wow!

4 Likes

He had the Digitakt first. I’ve had the DT and swapped it for the OT. The workflow is just put into a more compact and instant fashion for it’s included features, otherwise for myself, when I switched/transitioned, had both for the first bit with the OT, and I do have to say the beauty of the Elektron workflow isn’t it’s similarity between the two, as it’s a “modular” workflow across all of their major machines, so there are additional features on the OT, and so with it more “parts”, comes just more to learn in the menu system of the OS.

It’s not complex, but when you use more features, tie them together, then you have more layers, and steps in order to do something, and thus a more complex approach. But I run my OT just like I operated on the DT, I have my “workflow” mastered on the OT and now I take advantage of the additional features I am interested in using on the OT. So for me, as someone who really never liked menu systems on music gear, generally my synths, but for the production side, as for hardware it’s my whole bag in production and I wanted despite the extra investment of learning/time all the OT / Elektron has to offer for the long haul. DT is great to figure out if you want to do things that way, OT is when you say, I’m in and I’m ready for the whole pie.

2 Likes

thanks that’s a great summation, I love the digitakt, and the Model samples /Cycles so much that I’m convinced that Elektron is working on something that brings the power of the octatrack and the workflow of the model samples together so I’m in hiatus mode until I can see if that pans out or not. Elektron has shown that they like to learn, grow, and use what they’ve learned in later developments so I can’t imagine them not going this route I just gotta be a little patient. In the meantime I’ve got 4mpcs, well 3 cause one is up for sale in the market but they are each attached to an elektron device and I do really love the combination… If for some reason Elektron does want to end the line on their flagship beat machines at the octatrack then I will end up with one in the end no doubt.

1 Like

OT is amazing.
With time you learn how to use it.
Some effects are amazing, like filters, distortion and Eq.
Reverb is ok for drums, and resampling is cool
If I have to keep just one box, it will be OT
Since you can do a lot with just samples, and proper mixing

2 Likes

If only you could add an effects chain without sacrificing audio inputs.

1 Like

Yes,
I hope they will do some day new box, with better effects, longer chains and some things like new time stretch

I wouldn’t even mind a bare nimimum of useful effects and just more inputs, dedicated outputs for each channel and a dedicated stereo effects chain with 2 outputs and 2 inputs. Digital effects tend to sound dated pretty quickly, I’d much rather be abled to add my own to an effects chain without having to sacrifice anything.

That’s true
I use OT mostly for the non-melodic and back ground stuff, and mixing
If you go to the melodic rout, yes - this where is OT feels a bit dated

2 Likes

Totally agree! If OT was more capable in this regard and if it had OB I wouldn’t need anything else! It’d be irreplaceable!
Now i need to use other synths with it :confused:

If Elektron never release a more capable OT with OB that be the biggest miss of our generation imo

Another OT 2 thread?

Because of 2 octave range limitation?
Use slices for notes and you get 5.3 octaves (with a 64 chromatic notes sample chain).

Retrig, Comb filters are chromatic…
You can make melodies from anything, even incoming signal…

You can with Neighbors, but sacrifying tracks !

4 Likes

Huh? If you want to use an effects loop, you have to sacrifice two inputs for it? Cue outs -> external effects -> inputs.

With external fx yes, of course. Using Neighbors let you chain fx, no?

Ah, we were discussing how we’d like to have more inputs so that you wouldn’t have to sacrifice two of the four if you want a stereo effects loop. Some of the OT effects sound pretty dated and I rather use my pedals.

I know what they could do if they wanted to leap frog the OT. Make it into an expandable sample based synth.

They could give it the ability to play the sample’s polyphonically, with improved time stretch or maybe re-synthesis. And have the standard features as the OT but allow you to purchase additional machines/sound engines from the other boxes and make it even more modular. Like have the crossfader be able to be used to record p-lock changes or not and give you an even more flexible workflow. Or purchase new effects, or filter types, put the digitone as an engine you could buy. Basically a totally dedicated chunk of hardware capable of being pushed in almost any direction without limits to what can be added. But the Octatrack is great.

And I probably wouldn’t spend the money on the new one unless it was like retirement Lambo edition. Like that deep spacy/sparkley black you see on sports cars that changes color depending on the angle your looking at it from, F-Yeah!

Well there are really good fx since last century! I wouldn’t say dated but limited DSP use choices, 16 simultaneous fx and control of up to 250 parameters with the crossfader is not that dated to me…

Imho you can make really good fx with realtime resampling, like shimmer, pitch delay…
And some OT fx not sexy as is require some sequencing, modulations, resampling.

Exemple I posted many times, with resampling, sending to CUE, recording to a Flex with diffent pitches, send back to CUE for feedback.
Internal fx chain with send possible!

11 Likes

Yeah, you’re definitely a wizard and I’m a mere peasant with that device, I’ll give you that.

1 Like

Nothing magic, I spent a lot of time to experiment everything possible (I could think of). And it seems endless! :content:

At first I found OT fx, looper abilities and midi recording really deceiving. After I understood more the possibilities I went further and discovered a lot of possibilities. Time consuming, but worth it!

After 7 years, yesterday I discovered something I didn’t used yet : the triggering of LOFI AMF lfo start. You need to set fx envelope trigger settings in AMP Setup and to set phase to a value different from off (in lofi setup). I didn’t change that setting before…

6 Likes

Could you elaborate? Sounds interesting but I’m not near my Octatrack for a couple of days to try it out.

AM phase reset?

FX1/2 controls how the envelope will affect the multi mode filter or the amplitude modulator when either of these effects are assigned to effect block 1/2
If the amplitude modulator is assigned to effect 1 the phase will be restarted each time a sample trig is triggered.

LOFI COLLECTION Amplitude modulator settings. PHASE has to be different from OFF.

8 Likes