The Octatrack is amazing

You must have forgotten how a tracker was looking like on Amiga :wink:
Some could do but everyone is not DJ Aphrodite.

1 Like

Also an Amiga 1200 costs more than a secondhand Octatrack now, and that doesn’t count the monitor.

Yes!

Took my mates to a festival/rave a few years back. All of them were a bit nervous that it was gonna be shit and took some convincing to come along. We walked in on the first night to Aphrodite banging out a fucking legendary set. Now everyone loves me.

Also, OctaMED sounds very similar to Octatrack…

Makes you think…

2 Likes

Back to amazingness of OT, I almost finished to read the manual and tested out features and I’m starting to tell myself my DT is obsolete.
I can’t find anything the DT can do that the OT can’t. There is still the control all function on DT but I never use it since I mix all drums and melodies track in one box.
So yeah, the OT is impressive, I discovered slide trigs and swing per track this morning. Incredible creative tool to make groovy drums and kickass bassline.
The Octatrack is amazing (and still not discover everything) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This alone is changing the way I live my life. Fucking genius.

5 Likes

I’ve had a OT since 2011 and bought a DT early last year. I feel they both bring something to the table. I like the DT for melodic stuff, the DT is an incredible synth. I love the OT for drums, I make drum kits using slice mode. 64 samples per kit!!! You could easily produce insane music with just a OT BUT you’ll eventaully want to feed it an instrument. DT-OT power combo!!!

2 Likes

Just got an OT again - had a DT since last year - I’m leaning towards using the DT as a drummachine and the OT for longer samples and melodic stuff and looping / recording as needed.

Since the DT is more limited in what it can do I prefer to use it as a dedicated drum/groove machine - also being able to throw in a synth line or two - and then use OT for it’s flexibility.

1 Like

Absolutely you can’t go wrong with the DT as your drum machine. I only lean to the OT for my drums because of the performance trick opportunities. The crossfader is just too powerful for me not to use for drum breaks and weird fills.

1 Like

Good point! So what your saying is that I should buy an extra OT - and then keep my DT because maybe I will still want to use it for something :laughing: :sweat_smile: :joy: :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

P-lock midi program change, per step.
Sidechain compression (though you can fake some but not all of it with p-locks on OT)

That’s about it, functionality wise.

It’s a mole hill compared to the mountain of OT’s capabilities.

5 Likes

When the pandemic is over I will get the OT again, the mk2 black version. It will be a small easy to transport set-up for the weekly jam sessions with my friends.

• SSL Six
  • Elektron Octatrack mk2 black
  • Elektron Analog Heat mk2
  • Eventide H9 max + H9 Midi Controller

It will be used in a musique concrète style.

Also, some people here don’t understand how my approach will be to the OT. So here my solution to combine the best elements from the OT and also don’t using the less able features. I leave this up with external tools.

3 Likes

I always advocate not selling your instruments.

4 Likes

Only sidechain to master channel though unless I’m mistaken. I still use p-locks when using sidechain, although these days I try to go for pure frequency seperation with higher bass and low boomy kicks :slight_smile:

haha - true

but seriously was sitting eyeing a cheap local OT mk2 to perhaps replace my mk1 - but now maybe it will just join the family

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ll eventually get a OT MK2. Those buttons are chefs kiss!

1 Like

OT spotted. OT didn’t crash… the computer, on the other hand:

2 Likes

as digitakt owner who does not own an Octatrack yet I wanna know would you say that in the short list of things the digitakt can do that the octa can’t is most importantly the workflow or not?

of course everyone is familiar with the myth or fact depending on who you are of how esoteric and workflow unfriendly the octatrack is, and on the other hand equally familiar with the train of thought that if you’re familiar with the elektron sequencer on another device you shouldn’t have a problem getting to grips with the octatrack, and lastly we all know that no matter what it is from a violin to machine language to constructing a house out of a pile of wood you can accomplish anything you put your mind to… but, I’m wondering is the workflow of the digitakt the one objective reason to prefer an digitakt over an octatrack in light of octatracks sheer feature prowess over the digitakt… subjectively speaking from an objective standpoint (lol) but seriously?

is there no objective reason to not choose the octatrack over the digitakt… what do you guys think?

That’s a very long sentence you wrote there :wink:

The workflow would have to be seriously f***ed up to choose e Digitakt instead for a workflow matter.
As you said, it is still an Elektron workflow. I never had a Digitakt neither any other machine before the OT and i did not find the workflow very esoteric. Maybe because i never had anything before :wink:
I guess you’ll forget/forbid any workflow issue once you’ll fall for the OT (you will, you know it :wink: )

2 Likes

DT workflow is just very quick. It’s more limited and thus easier to get some things going fast.
Reverb and delay are much better as well. However they are send fx , not per track.

Octatrack is a magic box. It can do so many things and it’s very experimental. More complex yet it’s really not as long as you don’t try to make it do all things at once. It’s incredible in how deep it is and how many weird places you can get to.

All in all I don’t really see that many similarities between the two. Wildly different workflows.

7 Likes

yes this is the crux, also because personally I’m already a believer that one can acclimate to any workflow from experience, but that’s a bias I’m trying to objectively detach from. Some people say the octatrack has no workflow issues, some say it has terrible workflow issues and that’s why they sold it and got an digitakt, some say they left the digitakt for the octatrack and love it and all of these people feel strongly about how they feel which makes perfect sense since everything is subjective… but on some level there is objectivity. It’s such a different animal to ponder than say between an mpc x and an mpc one, or mpc 2000xl…

personally I can imagine going from an digitakt to an octa but not the other way around unless there is really something there that I can’t call… like a real funfactor difference or something… ?