The Healthy Take Down... Sugar replacement Recommendations?

man I gave that monk fruit the good ole college try but the after taste on that stuff could kill a donkey, the only good thing about it was that it stopped me from even drinking coffee for about a few weeks

2 Likes

It’s just sitting right there on the shelf at Trader Joe’s. And other grocery stores. Plenty of people using stevia are using the kind with no erythritol. Relax.

Theres only one way to drink coffee. Black, no sugar.

So no need for sugar. No need to replace something you dont need.

The end.

8 Likes

Yeah, that has been my route as of late… although I never was much of a sugar in coffee person, just chasing after some tasty beverages. A good grinder goes a long way but isn’t cheap, but I have found fresh ground pour over at least competes with the americanos I make… taking the extra counter space for a espresso machine and time to learn to dial in your shots and what not isn’t gonna be for everyone but it can also be pretty fun.

1 Like

my girl uses Stevia. ive tried it…not bad.

I drink coffee no sugar and try steer away from eating deserts but ice cream is the one thing I crave and find hard to say no to.

I don’t eat ice cream anymore but when I did, that’s one of the things I loved to put in coffee :slight_smile:

there’s only one way to drink cream and sugar, and that’s with a little bit of coffee in it haha

6 Likes

I’ve been relaxed. Take your own advice or pm me if you want to argue over sugar. Its not that intense.

Haha, got it. Caffeine Free Bourbon is a better choice then.

3 Likes

I stopped drinking sweet drinks long time ago and I can’t even taste them now, they taste terrible to me.
I drink water, coffee, green tea and beer with no cravings for sweets at all.

for food I’m usually using honey or date honey instead of sugar, usually it will take less of it to add sweetness to food and I prefer it to adding sugar.

like many people stated here, don’t replace sugar, just drop everything you can, leave some occasional sweet food and that’s it.

5 Likes

for me, the best replacement is nothing.

not that i ditched it completely – i eat some stuff that already has it, e.g. chocolate (dark like my soul). but that’s all.

1 Like

This is a rough one. Cutting out sweet stuff is probably the best idea. The problem is it’s in pasta sauces, pizza sauce, ketchup… basically all of the food sauces. If you’re not at least kinda wealthy you’re in the buyer demographic that gets served unneeded added sugar across the board. Just about any meal you don’t prepare yourself will have it, and many of the things you will use to cook a meal might have added sugar.

I do suggest trying to acclimate to black coffee. Coffee can be nuanced in ways that sweetening ruins. You’ll probably become more particular about coffee, a plus for some and a minus for others.

But there’s more bad news. Booze does bad things to your blood sugar. Might be worth giving up or restricting. Thankfully I can take it or leave it, so I usually leave it.

1 Like

I finally cut down booze to where I barely drink besides red wine, maybe a couple of glasses at most. It’s been a really nice change. Not that I ever was a hardcore drinker but hitting clubs and partying on weekends, it is easy to overindulge.

1 Like

Maybe not the answer you want but try changing coffee. Try a 3/4 roast and do not grind the beans as fine…
It will be less bitter without any sugar.

*and when you tamp the cup use a little bit less pressure. It is a balancing act between grind and pressure so experiment a bit till you get it how you like it.

Do not take sugar the morning. Use sugar only before high intensity sport to give you energy.

I’ve been through months of successfully reducing sugar a fews years ago, too.

It has already been said, but sugar replacements are either tasting like sh** and/or are equally bad for your health. Everything with high fructose content needs to be avoided which rules out a lot. Watch out for sugar in processed food, too!

WRT coffee: Caffein has the tendency to intensify craving for sugar. It might be tough, but well advised to limit coffee as well.

There’s a good deal of not so popular/common information in this article here: The sugar conspiracy | Sugar | The Guardian

2 Likes

I use sweetened condensed milk with my coffee, not the kind made out of HFCS either.

Removes the bitterness from coffee, and from life!

3 Likes

Here are a list of techniques that I’ve used, each discrete and relatively small. Takes 1-2 weeks before it starts to feel good. I am overweight and have earned diabetes as a result of decades of bad choices and a strong addiction to sugar (thankfully I never developed addiction to alcohol and drugs).

I stopped artificial sugar intake, which means no diet sodas. I started drinking 1 gallon of water daily flavored with Italia brand lemon juice - always have a cup at hand to create the habit.

I started looking at labels and started minimizing/avoiding foods that have added sugar.

In general, I try to not eat things that have 11g or more of sugar per serving.

I have kept sugar in my coffee as my one gimme (I only drink 1 cup maybe 3-4 times per week). But as I did the above techniques my sensitivity to sugar increased meaning I didn’t need as much. I went from 4-5tsp to 2. I also moved to turbinado / sugar in the raw which adds some richness to the flavor.

I started eating plain oatmeal for breakfast with butter, almond slices, and fresh strawberries or blueberries. Avoid raisins, craisins, and dried fruits in general as sugar density is MUCH higher.

I used the nut and spice Kind bars with 10g or less sugar to address snack and cravings especially in the beginning.

Especially in the beginning, I allowed myself to have one dessert per week as a way to place my cravings on a predictable point in the future. After a few months of gaining momentum, I stopped this.

I started eating 4-5 times per day vs 3 meals. Oatmeal breakfast, cheese/nut snack, smaller lunch, dinner (I rarely get hungry between lunch and dinner unless I’m working out after work).

3 Likes