The Healthy Take Down... Sugar replacement Recommendations?

Yea, sugar has me hooked too. I’ve been 150lbs since high school so I fall into the category of eating whatever I want without gaining weight, which is a sort of curse as it fools one into thinking they are over indulging. Lately, I’m been hitting the light brown sugar around 9pm by the spoon and often wake up with stiffness in my hands when I do this but sadly, I don’t think there is any suitable substitute, so for me it’s just a matter of abstaining…

I was kinda skinny fat with some giggle when I was boozing too much but that pretty much disappeared weeks after quitting the sauce but made crave sugar like a mofo.

2 Likes

I quit my cocaine habit, and replaced it with a meth habit!

LoL

3 Likes

That is sort of what it feels like when you quit booze and uptake sugar and weed certainly doesn’t help! I didn’t have a coca cola for like 10 years before I stopped drinking not that I really want one of those very often… But sativa and all those other new substitutes taste like crap to me.

1 Like

My friends and family think I’m weird because I drink coffee black most of the time. The only thing I add is cinnamon.

Sorry, I can’t suggest anything that would change your palate to love black or almost black coffee, so that you don’t want sugar, creamer or whatever any more.

2 Likes

I really like Dr Berg for any health questions. Obv he’s hitting the algos with 10m subscribers and getting up to 10m views on videos, but how he explains the biology and science with his recommendations is great.

I’d go with stevia though, and avoid alcohol sugars. As someone who drinks a lot of alcohol i get the addiction to anything, but personally drink Blue Lotus tumeric masala chai tea no milk/sugar, same with espresso.

2 Likes

A suggestion: Drink your coffee as you like it, with sugar. But just drink a bit less coffee and do a bit more excercise each day. It’s not always necessary to engage drastic changes to improve your life.

1 Like

I like sugar in my first coffee of the day but any later coffees it just tastes a bit gross, not sure why.

I like the taste of sugar less and less as I get older, and find my parents generation who have also weaned themselves off sugar in tea find it unpleasant now as well.

I’m yet to find an alternative sweetener that I don’t find unpleasant.

I think the answer (unless cutting sugar is medical advice) is to just slowly reduce the amount you use. Then you don’t have to deal with weird taste and cold turkey at the same time.

3 Likes

Bourbon.

2 Likes

Emerge yourself in other tasty stuff. Cut out soft drinks, processed foods, sweets, cake and bakery. Don‘t try to eliminate every last piece of sugar as its almost everywhere.
I think I made a decent job at giving up sugar with those rules. But if it is in the chinese sauce I don‘t care much.
I think it should be an overall mantra to cut out the bad stuff.
What I found out that really helps is to find other people that want to est healthy, cook together, share recipies. There is a whole world out there with the best food I could never imagine that doesn‘t need bad stuff in it. It just needs a little atencion. And get yourself a bag of nuts. Don‘t overdo it, cos they will make your body grow, but you can substitude them for sweets. Best thing!

Drink better coffee.

I like espresso drinks, so I look for lighter roasts and extract them accordingly. Whole milk adds all the sweet I need. When I drink cold brew from concentrate, I add a lot of water and a little whole milk to that too.

Avoid automatic machines if you are making your own brew. Get a good grinder that can grind fine enough for your brewing method. Make sure you are able to adjust the volume of water and brewing time in order to find the sweet spot between bitter and sour.

If your tea needs sugar or honey, try shorter infusions or a different kind of tea. Oolongs have a nice mild flavor that are delicious without any additives.

4 Likes

Put a ribbon of lime zest in your coffee after it’s brewed. You’d be surprised…

If you are just looking for caffine maybe mainline your java.

2 Likes

Went from extra cream and sugar to black coffee and no way I’d go back. Like most changes in life, commit and just do it.

Now if I could cut down the beer.

3 Likes

stevia

1 Like

Stevia is very bad. Study just came out today that makes it an avoid for me. It also has the worst aftertaste of all time.

1 Like

Says sugar alcohols are bad, like i mentioned, doesn’t say stevia is, take a look again mate.

5 Likes

That study is all about erythritol. It’s easy to find stevia without erythritol.

3 Likes

I’m a steady laCroix drinker as well

@re5et I’m just tired of it really, and I like how it feels overall when I eat less of it

1 Like

oh man I’m a hazelnut creamer addict too, it’s all gotta go

1 Like

“A sugar replacement called erythritol – used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monkfruit and keto reduced-sugar products – has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study.”

Yes, as mentioned above you can find stevia without Erythritol but who has done that? And how does it taste? Probably terrible like stevia does. So its not worth it to me.

Are you telling me people using Stevia are all using the “safe” kind ? I sincerely doubt it.

uh, non drinker but my better half drinks enough for both of us lol

@Monobear, don’t do sodas and other sweets, no ice creams or pastries etc… I’m really just a curator of unhealthy sweet coffee creams and straight sugar abuser…

1 Like