The Healthy Take Down... Sugar replacement Recommendations?

An interesting read or, if you prefer to listen, the author herself is the narrator:

This all makes sense and works but butter and cheese are not the most ideal things to eat for heart health. Just something to keep in mind. I do what you do but no more butter or cheese unless I am treating myself to a dinner out or a pizza (which I rarely have anymore, maybe 1 a month or so).

I also do black coffee and oatmeal with strawberries/blueberries in the AM. Butter in the oatmeal with raisins is so delicious, but I cut those out a while back.

thanks for all of the suggestions Ya’ll much appreciated …will definitely put them to use! :vulcan_salute:

My great grand mother only ate butter and lard. She drank raw cows milk, whole milk, and buttermilk. She smoked every day between age 7 and 87. She lived to be 104.

Everyone is different. Everyone is optimizing for different things and everyone has to figure out the right balance for their bodies. You’ll notice that I didn’t give advice or tell someone what to do, I merely shared things that have worked for me to cut back in sugar.

2 Likes

I simply said it was something to keep in mind. Not just towards you but towards everyone. I’m not going to tell you how to eat, do your thing. Cutting down in sugar is huge in itself.

You can have as much red meat, cheese, butter and salt as you want as long as you wash it all down with red wine and finish off with some unfiltered cigarettes. It helps, but isn’t absolutely mandatory, if you also like to race insanely overpowered sailboats across some or all of the world’s oceans.

4 Likes

Fair.

May I ask how you prepare your coffee? I actually have no issue having coffee with no sugar as long as I have half and half :smiley:

This is the way.

1 Like

Black for me but sometimes I will put soy milk in to change things up.

I get good beans, weight and grind them and use a mochamaster. I’m down to 20 grams of beans a day or so. Trying to cut down on caffeine as well since too much just makes me jittery. But I love a good cup of coffee to get going with. The lesser caffeine the better for me since if I go for a few days without it I don’t get withdrawal headaches or anything like that.

1 Like

I have not used it in years but I use cinnamon in place of sugar in my coffee. I’m not really into sweets more salty crunchy snacks so I have to watch out on my sodium intake more than anything else right now.

I use milk, cream or protein shake in my espresso no sugar.

1 Like

I’m not fond of cinnamon but I do use nutmeg a lot in my coffee, I don’t know how healthy that is

There are quite a few replies to this thread - I’ve just read the original post and wanted to put in my two cents.

I’ve been off sugar, chocolate, honey, most fruit, artificial sweeteners, and most foods that contain more than trace amounts of these things for quite a while - and I feel way better for it. Most noticeably with the removal of sugar and honey. I love my tea and coffee sweetened, and stevia works well for me. It’s an acquired taste, but now I love it. Apart from that, my main sweetness hit comes in the form of banana and blueberry smoothies. I’m otherwise mainly savoury-oriented and it feels way better and suits me well. Difficult adjustment at the beginning but well worth it. No cravings any more, much more stable feeling.

1 Like

just out of curiosity which fruits did you give up?

Diet of champions, although I’d suggest trying a pre-workout or creatine and maltodextrin if you want to get back to basics… LOL

1 Like

Almost all. The biggest offenders were apple, citrus fruits and other things like dates. I always thought fruit in general was good, but there’s a bunch of recent research that shows that the fermented sugars in a lot of fruits can cause inflammation and other issues in quite a lot of people. So mainly I just go for blueberries, which have anti-inflammatory properties and taste great, and I learned by trial and error that I can handle bananas pretty well, even though they’re problematic for some people. I did something called the Low FODMAP diet where I temporarily eliminated a whole bunch of foods which all contain fermented sugars, and then slowly reintroduced things to see which I could handle. There are easy to find lists of which foods contain FODMAPs and which don’t, and most fruits are in there. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are bad for everyone, just that a lot of people are known to have issues, and they may not know it unless they go through the process of figuring it out through elimination. I feel way better now than beforehand. That said, reducing processed sugar and honey has had the biggest positive effect.

2 Likes

I tried creatine years ago and it just made me bloated and gave me stomach pain. Had to quit using it as my body does not tolerate it well.

1 Like

Splenda / sucralose

Not to kill the fun of a light hearted conversation but to get all sciency for a minute. But…
The phosphocreatine energy system is your primary form of strength or burst energy buffer/regeneration via creatine kinase. If that energy system was broken in you, you would know.
More likely the actual supplement, diet (contributing factor), secondary ingredients or dosage was the culprit.

Speaking as someone who studied sport science and nutrition at uni and coached Olympic level athletes I can say I had never found a strength or strength endurance athlete who didn’t get some performance benefit from a good program including creatine.

Not that any of that matters, sorry it didn’t work for you. The list of performance enhancing supplements that are safe and actually work is pretty short.

2 Likes

You gotta be fucking ketamine