The different MachineDrums?

@Chancla

haha me too, obviously :smile:

ich have ableton (+push2), a SP404sx, a Deepmind 12D, zoomb3 (FX-pedal), and a midikeyboard.

@ozon

thank you! :slight_smile:

I wouldnt go near an mk1 (uw / non uw) personally. as mentioned above, the power supply issue and its an older machine. Well worth forking out the extra money for a good condition mk2 uw if you can afford it imo.

1 Like

I think that to create interesting sounds mk1 is enoughā€¦ 32 bars is already good to work if then you record some clips in abletonā€¦
An other good thing = It will give you the motivation/obligation to work in ā€œsong modeā€ and create pattern progression which is important to doā€¦ personally Iā€™m a bit too much working on same 64 step loop, I record some nice sounds but Iā€™ve a kind of fear to change patternā€¦ This pattern-looping syndrom and a big problem for me ā€¦

Anyway, The only thing that I think redundant about mk1 is the condition of the machineā€¦ Be sure sheā€™s really ā€œas newā€ even if oldā€¦
pidgeo is rightā€¦
Maybe you can wait a bit ?
Personally I found the good one in some monthsā€¦ I paid 911 dollars in 2017 :roll_eyes:

If it is a first hand with proof of purchase used in a non smoker studio you can go but be carefulā€¦ 600$ Have to be in a good condition as a Mint condition one !

If not wait a bit or go for a MINT mkII May be better to pay more and to be sure to have no regretā€¦

Hope itā€™s smoke free and first handā€¦

I saw one at 200ā‚¬, just a faulty knob. I was in. No chance. You can find power supply.

@elgenkeep.Stelling not sure if it was mentioned but the +Drive allow you to have more than 128 patterns and 64 kits. Otherwise you need to use sysex.

3 Likes

cheap as pomme frƮtes :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

^^ They call them ā€œFrench Friesā€ :joy:

Cheap as chipsā€¦

2 Likes

Dunno if this is off-topic, but is the UW feature a must-have if youā€™re pairing it with an Octatrack?

Aussi bon marchĆ© que des ā€œfrench friesā€ :wink:

In McDonalds in France they have sachets of like a herby mayonnaise, we donā€™t get that here :frowning:

1 Like

Not for me, but the conversation has moved on to fried potato sticks now :joy:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say a must-have, I was perfectly happy with my previous non-UW because the synthesis is really deep.

But, with Elektrons each new feature exponentially increases the capabilities of the machine. Especially when you combine it with the modular LFO feature- also percussive samples sound really good with the machines 16-bit emulation

2 Likes

These fried potato sticks, can you lock them up to eat later with some sort of device? A ā€œpotato lockā€ if you will, or ā€œp-lockā€ for short?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll probably buy an MD again if I can and Iā€™d want an UW for sure. Especially for realtime sampling / resampling, it free OT tracks. You can use single cycle waves and loops.

I was planning to use MD external outputs and UW features to trigger drums with my guitar.

1 Like

Comme ci comme ca! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why especially with an OT ?

Because I have an OT and would like an MD. Also wasnā€™t the UW the inspiration for the OT?

1 Like

Yep. In Mki manual.

When we developed the Machinedrum UW, one of the goals was to allow for a creative use of samples. Once the machine was released it became apparent that especially the RAM machines, which made it possible to record sounds in real-time and instantly play them back, were utilized in ways we originally couldnā€™t even imagine. Users around the world used them to incorporate live sampled shortwave radio sounds in their compositions, make instant remixes of 12ā€ records and to more or less conceive new genres of music. It was obvious that the RAM machine concept harbored a tremendous potential. This was the starting point of the Octatrack. We wanted to create a machine that would regard recorded material not as inflexible sounds, but rather as something highly malleable. This is one of the reasons why the Octatrack exists.

5 Likes

For anyone looking for one of these venerable instruments, I have one to sell.
Accepting offers.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-usa-machinedrum-uw-1-mki-box-man-tm-1-stickers/115691

Another vote here for the MK2 UW model! Iā€™ll never sell this thing. Itā€™s just that good. I couldnā€™t imagine being locked to 32 steps, ugh

LOL I rarely if ever use more than 8, yes Iā€™m crazy lazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes