The day after Cenk goodbye

The thing is when Elektron released a new product everyone was waiting for the cenk demo to see what the product could really do, hes an absolute wizard on Elektron boxes like Hendrix on guitar, they will be hard pushed to find anyone as good to demonstrate their products

6 Likes

yeahhh I can’t help but feel something negative that I can’t even put into words but just because Cenk has left doesn’t mean I’m going to abandon my trinity overnight. I am still an Elektronaut at heart and compared to what else is out there right now, I love my Elektron machines so much more. Not to mention, do we think that Cenk is going to abandon his machines overnight to keep making new Dataline stuff? I find that hard to believe.

This reminds me of what someone recently told me about high quality cameras and how a good camera will always be a good camera regardless of new versions coming out.

plus, I think they’re called crisps oversees… maybe just England

5 Likes

I think the thing with Cenk is, the Elektron stuff sort of has a natural state in terms of where the machines can be pushed, if u just let go with the Elektron machines and go with them. I feel like Cenks music sort of gravitated toward these sweet spots, but shows this sort of omega state the machines can arrive at when you push things. I think actually most people are much more reserved with the machines. Or try to perhaps do things that weren’t intended, or never push into those upper crazy zones. But with Cenks stuff he sort of wasn’t afraid to get crazy, I think he really showed this sort of natural character of the machines and what kind of beasts they become when you just let go and go with it!

2 Likes

It’s says it right on the front page of Elektron.se

3 Likes

I had forgotten how cool this performance is, and only now realizing how it anticipated (or possibly influenced?) @ylva’s sound.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful idea, but in reality with those parameters you’d most probably get someone who micromanages everything and thinks he knows better than others. Apparently Uli Behringer is like that.

Seems like the 7 years ago the CEO seemed to be interested in connecting the right music to the right brand to increase sales. Doesn’t seem like he has much in common with the DIY hardware synth nerds who founded Elektron! Seems more like a CEO whose main interest is making money. This is, of course, understandable for a company.

I don’t think it really matters if Elektron will stop making those kinds of products that we know and love them for. We still have the old stuff, which will hopefully last for decades. Talented developers and designers will find new companies to work for. The only real problem is if support for old gear will be dropped early.

3 Likes

there is only one choice… anyone know where this guy is?

5 Likes

This made me laugh. I also remember how Novation’s new Circuit was “viciously destroyed” by the marketing department!

didn’t they sell absolutely bucketloads of Digitakts?

4 Likes

I think your overestimating him. Nobody is bigger than the team.

2 Likes

Dude… this is what OT2 should be like! What a superb instrument! Elektron please take some notes! The distance sensor is so awesome and the slice effect - so nice. I wish Elektron would pack a tiny bit more diverse one-knob ready-to-use FXs into their boxes.

Let’s find that guy and his 505!

2 Likes

Thanks for this gem! But now my OT dilemma (should i get one or not ?) got more deep :
I mean…THE BEAM !
Not that convinced about the shirt though.

1 Like

Can be hidden here

I actually heard they’re going to get this guy:

2 Likes

According to my local music store guy here in Stockholm when I got my (now parted with) DT, verbatim: “these have been selling like hot cakes since they launched!”, it was summer 2019, 2 years after launch, I assume it wasn’t just here in Sweden, haha.

1 Like

Hey, by the way, what history (in short)?

Honestly all this situation does not sound very promising toward the further development of the Elektron machines. In a way I would like to see. Hope I’m wrong.
However I don’t think that ‘software as a service’ would be the next step either.
With… how many positions of software developers were opened in recent years? 1? 3? 5? It does not look it’s the way Elektron would take. Musical world is quite skeptical toward Roland cloud (it looks like a toy only big company could afford, with very low profits)

3 Likes

Hi. I think, I read the messages in this thread. I am missing some important information to make up my mind about the idea that Cenk going elsewhere will affect elektrons future, products etc. in a bad way. Maybe skipped it while scrolling and reading. I am missing
(1) the original source of the information that Cenk left elektron (link would be nice).
(2) information about the role Cenk had at elektron (I know him as presenter - was he developer, too?)
Thank you very much for any help! :smiley: