The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

For fun just for anyone interested in the history, here is the google reference to the Moog transistor ladder filter patent :

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3475623A/en

Granted 1969, expired 1986.

1 Like

(I’m not defending Beringer) but I’m not sure the colour scheme is original to the Moog Grandmother though… Check the retro REMCO sound effects generator which precedes the Moog by a few decades… (makes a great dub siren too!)

1 Like

China has lifted like a billion people out of absolute poverty over the past few decades. I’m sure some people are still living in slavery, like in any country, but let’s be honest and present both sides of the story.

2 Likes

The era of European Colonialism lifted millions out of absolute poverty in a few decades, let’s be honest and present both sides of the Capitalist story.

And: Xinjiang? Who’s leaving stuff out of the picture here?

The original Grandmother color scheme is a throw back itself to the Radio Shack Moog

Specific colors used in a specific way can be trademarked and defended. Some examples :

Color trademarks don’t hold worldwide. This was established in the USA since 1995 when Owens Corning won a case for pink insulation. The trademark only applies within a product category, where at least one color functions to uniquely identify a product’s origin.

It would not apply to just the general use of colors, or a way that color is used.

Maybe… But the Remco sound effects machine was released two years BEFORE the RadioShack Moog

1 Like

I used to love my RadioShack Moog. Shame it’s poorly now.

not only is that untrue, it’s also irrelevant and completely off topic

1 Like

The confirmation bias can be adapted to the situation.

If the synth sounds close it’s, “See how they just copy everything.”

Or if the synth sounds different it’s, “See they can’t even get that right.”

2 Likes

But it can be deemed a copy when not only the sound is similar but they copy the look.

If they would make their version, fine. Lots of places make their version of…[gear name here]

But it feels like B is not relying solely on their sound version of something to sell it. They use the entire design.

to me, that’s lame

7 Likes

Wow, that took me way back. It’s like one of those “Spot 12 Differences” puzzles you’d see in a workbook as a kid. And the kid next to you would always say, “That’s too easy.”

Notice the differences are largely additions in the second image. Even blind-folded the differences would be pretty easy to tell.

Not that law is the only measure, but you’d be told, “Ya’ got no case”, if you went for this on the basis of a trademark trade dress issue.

But even though there are significant differences, you’re right the two are unmistakenly similar.

But on the other hand, if you had experience playing the original you’d pretty quickly adapt. That certainly could be a goal in this sort of design.

Like in a car, you know immediately where to find the accelerator, where to find the brake, and where to find the clutch – in any car after 1920 or so. I wish that side of the street had been standardized too.

2 Likes

two excellent examples (i.e. much better places to spend your money):

5 Likes

It’s not that. Point missed entirely.

It’s that, even tho there are “differences”, they don’t even try to make their own design. Not that they can’t. I’m POSITIVE they have great designers. The problem I have is that it’s intentional almost CERTAINLY to attract sales. When someone is listening to your music. They can’t tell which one you used. I’ve used the VST 101 and it was perceived as an actual 101.

And what’s worse is…they don’t even tip their hat to the original manufacturer. “A tribute to the loved SH-101”…for example. That would go a LONG way.

All kinds of people make similar stuff. That’s just the nature of the biz. It’s just the entire package and presentation I take issue with with B.

No problem with sound a-likes. Take issue with clones and no mention of source.
That’s all I’m driving at.

5 Likes

If you open the hood are Behringer products that different from the originals? Im not a micro electronic mechanic but im going to say not much. As they say Beauty is only skin deep. In the future there will be cloned women for men who struggle to have relationships. This is just the tip of the iceberg.:family_woman_woman_boy_boy::family_woman_boy_boy::family_man_man_girl_boy:

Yeah, phaelam, we’re 100% in agreement, as we’ve both posted about earlier in this thread. We both wish Behringer would take their engineering prowess, and direct it towards completely original design. There has been progress in the new designs with more innovation, but the progress has been too slow.

The points in my post are still valid, and i feel like i followed what you wrote with your very well done post. Just looking at things from another angle.

Perversely sometimes they are not. And despite it being more expensive to do it the way they did, it makes for a better design.

Two examples. The Solina, which used an unusual electronic design approach to get its polyphony. To me that is intrinsic to that product, and should be part of a recreation. It makes the version from Behringer far more interesting to me than a software, sampled, or digital version, all of which would sound very similar, but to me is just a wrong way to do it !

The other is the recreation of the early, early Roland CR-78. They duplicated the series of unusual inductor based resonators that makes that design rather unique. Again they could have duplicated the sound, as others have, in other less expensive ways, but they chose not to. BTW the outside of the Behringrr CR-78, is completely different from the clunky interface ( imo ) on the Roland original.

1 Like

It looks the same, just squished. They COULD make an effort to AT LEAST change the type of buttons, the config, hell….just the colour.

It’s only slightly different :confused:
the horse if been beating has become a fine paste :frowning:

If it was briefly shown to you in a flash, and you were asked, what product is this or does this resemble….it is blatantly obvious. No, these look extremely similar. Even the same font and font colour. Simple change right there

[I’m being broad with the font colour. Both ARE orange, but different shades. There are other colours tho] :slight_smile:

adding: RD = Roland Design?
[im asking cuz MS-1 breaks convention]

1 Like

Those are too close, you’re right.

I based my post on their April 7, 2022 prototype PCB photograph which is very different.

Not sure what the current design is.

1 Like

Here’s one of the most fun clones I own. A 1970s Japanese clone of the Crybaby Wah. Sounds great by the way, very Shaft. In my experience loads of clones from the 70s (most?) were made to look as close to the original as (legally) possible, so Behringer isn’t breaking any new ground.

2 Likes