The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

If you open the hood are Behringer products that different from the originals? Im not a micro electronic mechanic but im going to say not much. As they say Beauty is only skin deep. In the future there will be cloned women for men who struggle to have relationships. This is just the tip of the iceberg.:family_woman_woman_boy_boy::family_woman_boy_boy::family_man_man_girl_boy:

Yeah, phaelam, we’re 100% in agreement, as we’ve both posted about earlier in this thread. We both wish Behringer would take their engineering prowess, and direct it towards completely original design. There has been progress in the new designs with more innovation, but the progress has been too slow.

The points in my post are still valid, and i feel like i followed what you wrote with your very well done post. Just looking at things from another angle.

Perversely sometimes they are not. And despite it being more expensive to do it the way they did, it makes for a better design.

Two examples. The Solina, which used an unusual electronic design approach to get its polyphony. To me that is intrinsic to that product, and should be part of a recreation. It makes the version from Behringer far more interesting to me than a software, sampled, or digital version, all of which would sound very similar, but to me is just a wrong way to do it !

The other is the recreation of the early, early Roland CR-78. They duplicated the series of unusual inductor based resonators that makes that design rather unique. Again they could have duplicated the sound, as others have, in other less expensive ways, but they chose not to. BTW the outside of the Behringrr CR-78, is completely different from the clunky interface ( imo ) on the Roland original.

1 Like

It looks the same, just squished. They COULD make an effort to AT LEAST change the type of buttons, the config, hell….just the colour.

It’s only slightly different :confused:
the horse if been beating has become a fine paste :frowning:

If it was briefly shown to you in a flash, and you were asked, what product is this or does this resemble….it is blatantly obvious. No, these look extremely similar. Even the same font and font colour. Simple change right there

[I’m being broad with the font colour. Both ARE orange, but different shades. There are other colours tho] :slight_smile:

adding: RD = Roland Design?
[im asking cuz MS-1 breaks convention]

1 Like

Those are too close, you’re right.

I based my post on their April 7, 2022 prototype PCB photograph which is very different.

Not sure what the current design is.

1 Like

Here’s one of the most fun clones I own. A 1970s Japanese clone of the Crybaby Wah. Sounds great by the way, very Shaft. In my experience loads of clones from the 70s (most?) were made to look as close to the original as (legally) possible, so Behringer isn’t breaking any new ground.

2 Likes

Whale meat again?

My 2 cents about the original title:

One thing is that if Behringer can bring synths that cheap with ok quality, in some cases really good, it’s clear that the monsters: Korg, Yamaha, Roland and others, inflate a lot their prices!
It’s clear that they can bring it cheaper, just don’t want to.

Another thing is that Behringer brings what the people wanted for so long… why didn’t Roland bring out the analog TB303, SH-101… and others?

Plus Behringer synths sound good(even if not exactly as the ones they cloned).

So I really don’t see a problem with Behringer, but a surely see it with the big names which rip us off and bring us mostly plasticky toys… and also they don’t listen to what we want, need.

Sorry for the long post! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

You get to the end of this production full of second hand reused video, and the producer explains why he is making the video --“it’s just me trying to cash in on the controversy.” To me that’s one definition of trolling.

Ya it’s a shame he put that. I think it’s tongue and cheek. But in the end, a super fail at sarcasm.

I think some points are made tho.

Not the definition of trolling. The definition of todays YouTube culture.

NOTE: he does say he doesn’t hates B, he likes some of their gear. He just sees an issue with the business model. A troll would be a little more bias, and say some extreme stuff to get a response. There’s a difference between trolling and having a point of view. It’s easy to dismiss what someone’s say by calling ‘troll’ when it’s something you don’t like.

PLUS the title of this video is a LIE. Total bait and switch come on. What’s this guy’s channel, I’ll be sure and block it.

You know how to find it :confused:

Scary when grannies start to look young😂

5 Likes

:rofl:

Good little discussion with Jamie Lidell and Dave Rossum at 45:30. 10 min back and forth on the topic…

2 Likes

Theres a bit of irony with Dave Rossum. He said he set out to put cheaper equipment in the hands of musicians. Now his Reissue SP1200 costs £4k dollars. I feel hes gone full circle. I think It has become about money which is a shame but inevitable. The cloning seems to upset a lot of folk. But if you want to be part of that sound and havent the money then whats the alternative. There isnt one.

I think one important question is also why the alternatives are so expensive. I think some are overpriced. Economies of scale can’t be the only reason.

But he IS reissuing his own gear. Not someone else’s at a lower price.

I have noticed tho, in a lot of the superbooth presentations, the manufacturers are making more spendy gear. Two of them even saying, “not everyone will be able to afford it, but such is life” [to paraphrase]

On one hand it bums me out I can’t get some bits I’d like to have. At the same time it’s something to aspire to, should I find the means. I find, for me, it gets me to try to achieve a similar result with what I have, sometimes finding something different and cool.

I dunno.

Adding: according to the interview, Dave just prefers to spend more on making something solid out the gate. Quality parts. I can dig that. Can’t afford his shit. One day maybe. I would love an Assimil8or. But $$$ :grimacing:
I had a Control Forge and a Morpheus, REALLY well made. But…needed to reclaim that money.

1 Like

it’s a hell of a lot easier to make things cheap when someone else has invested in the R&D for you, and you just have to recreate the result of it. and B have a massive investment in manufacturing resources that the other companies you mention do not have access to.

8 Likes

Good AND bad. It is the Ying AND the Yang. You can’t have one with out the other. Duality. It is the way of all things.

2 Likes