UB-Xa from Behringer

i HATE this ugly clones, each and every one of them :joy: there you go, i got that of my chest.

1 Like

Thunder is exactly what they didn’t steal. 95% of that video sounded incredibly thin and weak. Must be a combination of things (rushed production of the prototype/presets, rushed video, Youtube doing something to the lowend…) but yeah, the only thing that it had going for it was the colour scheme.

5 Likes

Pff, poor Jack. I mean, maybe it did sound great in the room? But comparing this recording to all the OB-X8 examples out there it’s not even close.

Oh, totally.
That was definitely their aim though, they just failed spectacularly. :joy:

1 Like

its not youtube, every other sinth that sounds good in person, sounds good on youtbe too, minimoog sounds like minimoog on youtube etc.

2 Likes

Absolutely, you don’t need a good recording, or good playing, or a quality format, or even good speakers, for anyone with a modicum of confirmation bias to tell this will sound horrible. /s

1 Like

I wasn’t gonna buy a UB-Xa cos I can get an OB-6 module for about the same price and I don’t need the keyboard anyway. But I was genuinely surprised by the lack of oomph in that video. IIRC the previous prototype videos sounded quite alright, and when I had the Model D, I thought it was an awesome synth for the money. So when it comes to the sound, I expected B to nail it with the UB-Xa as well. Despite this video I still do.

3 Likes

On the contrary, I think this obsession with IPs and patents and copyrights is what’s wrong with today’s world. When corporate compliance and stupid laws take over human decency… Like look at what happened with vaccines. That’s what’s immoral.

Your mindset is framed within this reality. I don’t like their PR stunts, but what they’re doing is perfectly normal. There are tons of clones among music instruments.

1 Like

exactly.
similarly, you don’t need 4K video to see something looks ugly or nice. 240p will do.

1 Like

But if you record with bad lighting, it’s hard to say something about the camera, the lens or the object.

There is a lot of bad lightning on youtube , ill give you that :laughing:

1 Like

Ive seen Jack Duxbury from Andertons make a Moog One sound like a piece of shit. He doesnt do Synths any favours.

3 Likes

Well, summing up: it is a bad demo, but we can’t know for sure it’s a bad synth.

1 Like

I can only go on the Poly D i have. Its nailed on the Moog. They arent pulling any punches.

Think Jack picked the worst presets he could find on purpose.

1 Like

I wad thinking that. Its like he tried his best to make it sound crap even his noodling was off. Conspiracy. Andertons have a lot of OBX8 Oberheims on the way. What a great way to slay any hopers of a cheaper machine. I bet Behringer will never do this again.

1 Like

Ikea had no good frying pan… I’m a chef and the only going pan worth owning that is cheap are the black steel pans, whatever they are called… but I would rather spend a good $50 on a pan and get all clad. I mostly use French copper, that is a good pan… My 8" tiny frying pan cost $150… It is a good pan, food actually tastes good when you cook it.

You know, the thing is, I get both sides. One side hating the way B is taking others products. The other side happy he is.

I just think it is what it is. There is so much complaining in every thread. Things aren’t going to change anymore and I just would like to read “normal” threads again that don’t derail the same every time. It’s like a broken record.

4 Likes

The Clone War thread is still and will remain a great place for thoughtful discussion of those issues. I agree with loopdude.

According to Behringer the UB-Xa went out for beta-test middle part of last year. That it is now going around to partner stores, probably means it is out of beta, and ready for production. A few days ago Behringer wrote on their Facebook page that they may get a “small” batch of chips, processor chips i think were the short stock part. Who knows what their priority is on manufacture.

Hopefully Sweetwater, another Behringer partner, gets a chance with this unit. Daniel Fisher has some real chops, and is a fast worker, plus he knows how to find the sweet spots. He also can do some unusual innovative stuff sometimes. He also will break it down, like just to show off the filters and such basic stuff too.

I also know if there are any problems he’s got enough integrity, to let Behringer know.

Behringer on Facebook acknowledges the sound on the Andertons video was not good.

Specifically they said this:

It sounds like they left the camera microphone on during the sound recording which caused interference and phase cancellations with the direct sound from the synth. We’ll check with Andertons now.

They suggested listening to this early beta-test video instead.

2 Likes