The Blipblox

I’ve just ordered one for my little boy.

6 Likes

I think this looks and sounds pretty awesome. and might pick one up for my children to play with. Totally not for me to play with though…totally… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You don’t actually have children, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well I do really have children. And they’re also not that great at sharing. Maybe it will teach them a good lesson?

1 Like

I was just thinking that ‘hey I could use that’ and this just popped up on the video.

I might get one for ‘the dogs’… :grimacing:

1 Like

My son is too young for this thing. I might have to get one and “take care of it” until he’s old enough! heh.

2 Likes

It looks ripe for circuit bending that’s for sure, I could imagine eBay loaded with them, all festooned with silver switches and primary coloured patch points!
Hackattack!

I got one in December after contributing to Playtime Engineering’s Indiegogo campaign earlier, and recommend it.

Kids pushing your buttons? Give them their own.

There are a number of start-up configurations like setting lights to show settings (or lights off) and reducing maximum volume.

You may want to borrow it from your child as there’s MIDI in.

1 Like

Polypumpkins did this with a Blipblox and a Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3, plus a drum track all edited down with Ableton Live. Good performance – i like that he starts the whole thing with the Blipblox miked all by itself so you get that plastic button click with the sound.

Under 3 minutes.

Quite tempted by this for my 2.5 year old but not sure if he’ll be bothered about using different gear from me. He tends to just want to join in with what I’m doing on the AK - basically twiddling and prodding like mad and making me scared of losing everything I’ve just done :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My 3 year old loves hers, although it may be driving my wife crazy.

1 Like
1 Like

I didn’t realize they were assisted with the physical design by Axel Hartmann.

Hey folks.

Anyone purchased a Blipblox for their children? Thinking of getting one for my 5-year old’s birthday. Obviously a lot depends on the kid, but wondering how engaging it is for youngsters and if it’s a decent product.

Cheers!

I bought one for my five year old a while back. While she doesn’t play with it a whole lot, it’s one of those toys that get dragged out from time to time, so I guess it’s a long-hauler :smiley: especially when friends come to visit.

Overall I’m happy that she has this around, it’s totally leftfield for her but she still plays with it from time to time. Just be prepared for lots of odd noises coming from your 5 year old’s room for extended periods of time :smiley:

Same here, it’s basically been passed down to my youngest now… he walks around with it everywhere and jams… really great to watch him go!

1 Like

Many thanks for the feedback. Think I’ll give it a go. It’s rather pricey here in Canada. But hey, saving money on a birthday party this year.

Cheers.

There is now an SK2

(Ignoring the sampling groovebox)

I was thinking about the original, wonder what has changed…

In one of the NAMM videos, the SK2 is described as “being in between the Blipblox and the After Dark”. Since those two are not that far apart, I suspect the differences are small and mostly related to styling.

1 Like