The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Good to hear and I envy you for being there!

I did see that pete rock would perform, but he was only doing a dj set I think.

We’re lucky to have all these great artists come by our city regularly. I guess it’s the coffeeshops making it a prefered stop on their tour haha.

Yup, I guess that our green special herbs have a certain appeal.

Reminds me of Redman performing at the “uitmarkt” in the early 2000s. When I he kicked of the first verse of “pick it up”, people spontaneously started throwing their weed and joint onto the stage. It was literally raining joints. You should have seen his face. Like a kid in a candystore :joy:

2 Likes

This is great. Would love to hear more about the workflow you are settling into.

1 Like

KRS on stage, woah, I would have jumped on that! Pete Rock was playing in Paris earlier this week but the ticket was 35€ and the venue had a very vague description of how he would perform. 35€ to see a dj set would have been a bit much even for Pete.

@woolsee well, fuck, that’s incredibly dope. Are you also on the mic?

@Sleepyhead @DimensionsTomorrow thanks guys! My workflow (for now) looks like that:

• one bank per type of sounds: bank a - main chops / b - drumbreak / c - drum one shots & percs / d - secondary chops / e - bassline etc.

• on each bank, I chop / tune / set the mute groups for all of my sounds.

• I play / program everything in the sequencer

• when I’m happy, I solo each group of sounds and resample through fx. That’s when I try to get a cleaner mixdown as well. I try to keep every resampling step to “reload” if I fuck up.

• at this stage, I have “stems” of all my sounds in their final form. I recreate my patterns in the sequencer with it, then create a pattern chain.

• when it’s done, I resample the whole beat with a touch of comp / EQ. Bam, done.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome. I’ve been digging the beats I’ve heard from you!

1 Like

@Kuro I am… appreciate you listening! And that beat you posted is a head nodder for sure, super dope.

2 Likes

Inspired by @Doug I tried the OT with the sampletrak, my favorite sequencer combined with my favorite sounding sampler.

Warming up to the octatrack some more… I’m still more proficient on the AR, but the OT is something special… I’ll try to get it to sound the way I like the coming weeks.

12 Likes

I’m really digging this… those drums are perfect and the sample chops sound lovely.

1 Like

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Sounds good, man. Have you had a chance to use the firmware for the RK?

1 Like

And I saw krsone perform in the world famous q-factory a couple of years ago, great vibe!:sunglasses:

1 Like

Not with the octa yet, I’ll try to set it up sometime this week!

1 Like

Anyone check out the new Little Simz? Gorilla knocked me out:

4 Likes

Cross post from the bi-weekly sample challenge, threw it together tonight, mix is a bit rough and I wish I could have found a cleaner version of the vocal but I’m pretty happy considering it only took a couple of hours to bash out…

6 Likes

On a side note here’s a date for your diary in 23… Feb 15th sees the start of the new and final season of wu tang saga… I literally can’t wait…:facepunch:

2 Likes

Yes! Just had that song on my Spotify release radar today. I knew I’d heard the sample before and was a little disappointed in myself when I looked it up and saw that it was used in concrete schoolyard by Jurassic 5. I used to listen that song so much

I’m excited to check out the rest of the little simz album

1 Like

The next battle is up!

4 Likes

I also gave this it’s own thread, but it also belongs here:

The last few months I worked on an instrumental hiphop album using nothing but my ARmk2, a tascam portastudio 4 track cassete recorder and a lot of samples.

I used the portastudio for mixing, some recording and some sampling. Most songs are bounced to tape, others just recorded through the mixer.

I’m curious to hear what you guys think about it!

5 Likes

Sounds great. I’ve had it on repeat while I’m working. Tracks 4, 5, and 6 are my favorites I think, but the whole thing is solid af and extremely well mixed. Great work! Congrats!

1 Like

Thanks dude, and thanks for being part of it!

1 Like