The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Couch beat, bit melancholy but I feel like it’s got legs, need to find a low key vocal for it though

3 Likes

very nice :+1:

1 Like

Cheers fella, glad you like it… I feel like I want to find a female rap vocal for it, I’m hearing Jean grea in my head when I listen back to it, I’ll have to do some Google fu and see what turns up…:+1:

@BLKrbbt

This is a great video on this idea, and an excellent primer on building mono bass parts. Alex Ball is basically my hero. I love that guy. I highly recommend this video and basically all of his videos.

3 Likes

I have this exact video save on my favorites list!

I love this video… especially the part about where Bootsie lives!

1 Like

Black Star!

6 Likes

I meant to tell you… this is another funk bass line I love. Skip to like the 1:45 mark to see it.

4 Likes

Just watched this a few days ago, so good to see mos Def back back on it, he’s been a fav of mine for a long time…

2 Likes

Just messed around and made this:

8 Likes

beautiful again

1 Like

found this few days ago. So hype. the atmosphere is infectious

3 Likes

Thanks dude!

1 Like

this video is amazing, makes it look so effortless

2 Likes

Failed the latest beat battle, but was busy working on a new batch of beats. Among them, this one, done on the sp404mk2:

Still annoyed by some of the quirks of the SP, but slowly warming up to it. Having a decent mixdown with it is quite hard, though.

Edit: @Sleepyhead niiiiiice, def digging the slower vibe. How do you use the SP with the AR?

13 Likes

First post in here… been lurking a bit. I wanted to share this randomized, ethereal boom bap joint… I played the drums with a knob (Make Noise Morphagene, already quantized with CV clock), which probably could’ve been a more normal sounding drum pattern if I was better with micro movements… instead, each slice selected was a surprise but I leaned into it. My only Elektron box in my arsenal so far is a Syntakt, which provides the bass and some other synth layers on here. Appreciate anyone checking it out.

7 Likes

Just saw KRS One here in Amsterdam.

He was only on stage for an hour, but man does he bring something special.

His energy, his spirituality, his pure raw skill.
This man knows how to rock a crowd. Even at 57.

He is the embodiment of hip-hop.

Mostly old stuff, but he also performed some tracks from his 2022 album and even did a bit of freestyling.

If you ever get the chance: GO!

11 Likes

O shit I missed that!

I saw krs in de Melkweg in Amsterdam back when I was 18, one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. He is able to completely control the energy of a crowd. Goosebumps all througout the show.

That must have been a great night for you, I saw bdp way back when they were touring the UK in the 80s, definitely and explosive experience, you’re not wrong about krs and his stage presence, he definitely commands the audience…

1 Like

Still as captivating as back in the day.

Funny thing was that I found out that Pete Rock was also performing tonight in the Melkweg, about 500 meters away (KRS was in Paradiso)

Would have liked to see that as well

1 Like

@Kuro very dope! I actually really like the mix on this one. How did you make this? Resampling or pattern mode? The buildup is great.

@woolsee welcome here! Very nice sound. The drums are different but work very well actually in my opinion.

2 Likes