Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #17: The Legend of Zelda Edition

Hey, listen!

On the morning of Saturday December 12, 1998 we got a call from the local videogame store. My copy had arrived. For months, I had read and reread the 5-page review in our local games-magazine (Power Unlimited), and now I could finally play myself.

Around 16.00 in the afternoon, I was home and inserted the cartridge in my Nintendo 64. We had dinner at around 18.00 and went back to playing right after that. The next time I checked the time it was Sunday 5.20 AM. I had successfully completed the Deku tree section and thought to myself: “This is the greatest game I’ve ever played”.

Only to find out that this was just the tutorial….

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time is the best rated videogame of all time and was revolutionary in every sense. The music (written by Koji Kondo) has also achieved legendary status and has been performed by various orchestras around the world.

Music was also a pivotal part of the gameplay. The ocarina played a crucial part in Link’s quest to rescue Princess Zelda from the hands of the evil Ganondorf.

I would say that this masterpiece absolutely deserves its own battle. I hope y’all dig it.

So, here are the (Hy)rules:

• Track limit is 2.30 minutes
  • Every track must include a “boss-level” section/variation in addition to the A section. Tempo changes and non conventional rhythms are encouraged.
  • As there is no spoken dialogue in Ocarina of Time (except for Navi), vocals are not allowed. However, you can use sound effects from the game (see below)
  • Drums and Bass can come from any source
  • If you happen to have an ocarina, you can use that as well

As for the source material I think that both the music from the original (Ocarina of Time soundtrack) and the OST Hyrule symphony version are fair game. As are the sound-effects and any other in-game audio (full playthroughs are available on YT) of both the original and the remastered versions.

Original N64 soundtrack

OST Hyrule Symphony

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC542E99B0C781B1

All Ocarina songs

Sound effects

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEJLxXa8kpYcpJQj97Bgvdw2V2T9s7EJr

Voting/scoring will be the same as in the previous battle:

1: The Master Sword - 3 points

2: Kokori Sword - 2 points

3: Deku Stick - 1 point

Here is the playlist:

32 Likes

I am ALL ABOUT THIS!

Awesome challenge.

3 Likes

This is amazing!

Is original legend of zelda in play as well, or only ocarina of time?

4 Likes

@Sleepyhead
@Doug
@monquixote
@drrumble
@1-2
@rockpapergoat
@blaize
@DimensionsTomorrow

@Unifono
@FNKSTRNG
@Yabba
@BLKrbbt
@Symian
@flipinfantile

Please feel free to tag anyone else, I just came up with this list scrolling through the previous battle topics.

I would say Ocarina of Time only, as there is plenty of material in there.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm.

7 Likes

WOW that is amazing. Epona’s song will be stuck in my head now.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks I won’t link to the past then.

Seriously great theme, excited to see what people will come up with

3 Likes

Nice. I’m into this. Come to think of it, we haven’t done a video game inspired challenge until now, have we?

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a loaded sample selection!

Gonna be a blast to play amongst you lovely folk! :beers:

5 Likes

Epic brief.
I’ll use M8’s Game Boy sounds, most likely :wink:

3 Likes

I’m up to my eyes in the dnb challenge right now but I’ll try and get something in :+1:

3 Likes

OOT is one of my all time favorites. Stoked to see what people come up with!

2 Likes

My dumb ass just bought a Maschine mk3.

Looks like I’m gonna have to break her in on some hip hop.

Can you breakdown what you mean by Boss part and A part.

I know how when you fight, there’s a second fight that has more intense music.

I’m guessing we just change up the A part to mimic that?

Same elements just more intense?

4 Likes

This is great :slightly_smiling_face:
Looking forward to this.

2 Likes

I think it just needs to be different enough to signify that it’s a boss battle, whatever you make of that. It is usually a different sound all together, with a sonic intensity that is greater than the level/ overworld music is. You could probably have it connect to the first part and transition smoothly or not.

@Jedilicious will probably comment with some clarity on this if needed, but people will inevitably have their own interpretations on it.

When you hear that part do you think this is the boss battle? I think that is what matters and how you will know if it’s right

5 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better!

2 Likes

never had a N64, but a link to the past was my favorite game ever.
So I certainly feel at home in hyrule

2 Likes

Love this theme @Jedilicious! I’m now surprised noone had the idea to do a videogame battle before.

Your timing is perfect for me, as I just finished playing Ocarina of Time, and I’m currently running around in Clock City (-playing Majora’s Mask).

I got an old gamecube during lockdown and being the nerd that I am decided to finally finish all the games that I played as a kid haha.

2 Likes