That Syntakt Sound

Similar to running a sample through analog filters on the Rytm, you can run your digital synths through the analog filter on Syntakt. It can sound very warm.

Also, the 4 analog synth tracks with analog filters can of course sound warm since they are analog, right?

1 Like

Not bad, not wrong, but yes, metallic to my ears. Very similar to 2 or 3 oscillator FM sounds I can make with numerous soft synths. Thereā€™s a reason that FM synths sound metallic, they mimic the real-world behaviour of metal which is why FM synths have historically been used to synthesise bells etc.

I didnā€™t say that they didnā€™t sound warm. Didnā€™t use the word warm at all! The analog filter sounds great but I only have the one and multiple tracks running through one filter has its limits.

On the topic of ā€œthat Syntakt soundā€, I do find it odd when people complain that they canā€™t get some other sound from a synth (which is not what Iā€™m doing). They all have a character and if I buy a Moog and expect it to sound like a Digitone then Iā€™ll be disappointed, and vice versa. They canā€™t do it all and perhaps this synth isnā€™t right for me, but thatā€™s not a criticism. I have prior of buying and selling gear too quickly so perhaps Iā€™ll wait a while and come back to it another day. Some days one piece of gear inspires and another day itā€™s something else.

I also havenā€™t properly tried to use Syntakt and Analog Rytm together, that may be the special sauce.

Itā€™s all good!

1 Like

You used the word metallic, which I interpret as the opposite of warm, so thatā€™s why I used that word. But now I know thatā€™s not what you meant :slight_smile:

Yes, FM can sound metallic like a bell, but also like an organ? It sounds digital to me, but depending on the patch, and if you e.g. run it through an analog low pass, will sound warmer and obviously more analog.

2 Likes

this one sounds sick

14 Likes

it seems like the machines want to give a certain sound, but there are always possibilities of tweaking them to the extremes and/or different sounds (like using bassdrum machines as bass synthie sounds). iā€˜d wish for more machines that are blank canvases like SY BITS.

however, i find more possibilities every time i sit down with my syntakt ā€¦

hereā€˜s my stuff so far, covering lots of styles (Playlist):

22 Likes

that theremin in the Kosmische portion is just bonkers awesome!

4 Likes

Nice!

He only had a short on YouTube. He directed me to the full track. :+1:t6:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cg3qIGgo7I4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Bang-a-roni!

1 Like

I knew that I canā€™t be the only one who bought into Elektron because of Sophie influence :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Whaaaaat?! Are those examples made on Syntakt? If so PLEASE Give me some tutorials!!! I canā€™t get my head around how Your head works - itā€™s amazing

3 Likes

There are a couple Popeyeā€™s in Chicago that would like to disagree with you.

(but those usually are the ones with the best chicken)

I actually got some Popeyes yesterday. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but as per usual I regretted it later.

I miss my Syntakt. I really should get another one. Much better than fried chicken.

4 Likes

thanks man. yes thatā€™s entirely syntakt audio

unfortunately, i dont own the st anymore, but i would recommend max marcos ping synthesis videos, percussion synthesis, impulses and shaping white noise bursts

1 Like

Visiting partners family in Sweden for three months, so bought Syntakt only with me. Will be exploring as much as possible. Would you guys rate the SY bits the highest for synth duties.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Swarm and Raw are absolute monsters

5 Likes

Depends on what youā€™re doing.

2 Likes

ambient textures.

All of them work for ambient textures. Unlike model cycles you can have plenty of long attacks and decays and the percussion machines can be extended and repurposed with the reverb and delay buffers. But if you wanna start somewhere you could definitely do worse than the SY BITS machine.

2 Likes

Late to the thread, so apologies. The base width filter would be AMAZING to have on the analogs, andjust the analog channels of the Syntakt. However, unless Iā€™m very much mistaken, impossible to just add. We would need new versions of the hardware.

As it is now, itā€™s a digital filter.

To implement it on the analogs, would either require an analog version of the filter, then duplicated across all tracks.

If the analog channels went back into the digital mixer via A to D conversion, that would be another way, but those conversion lines are probably not present in the analogs or analog channels.

Plus, then the analog audio would undergo the conversion, and no longer be pure analog, which people have complained about with other synths in the past.

The simplest way would be to have a single analog one, that could be assigned to a track like the FX track on the Syntakt, but would require new analog circuitry, and new OS components.

So, not something they could just add to an upcoming OS update.

That said, the A4 has two filters per channel, one being state variable, so you can use the bandpass filter to do this. As one example. Another would be to use high pass mode on some of the other devices.

Not as flexible of course, but there are ways to work with it. Or just run the channel out to an outboard EQ or filter box, or DAW channel.

With hardware there are always tradeoffs for space on the panel, space on the PCB, target price, etc. People already complain about synth prices, so this has to be heavily weighed.

I know you know most or all of this, just thought Iā€™d post the likely reasons. I would LOVE to see this filter on pretty much EVERYTHING! :wink:

This line of thought always amuses me. Like, why would it be that once your music touches digital itā€™s no longer pure? Is there someone out there who records analog synths through analog FX onto tape and then only listens to it on analog playback? I guess we would never know because why would you upload your music to the internet or listen to music over the internet if that ruined the purity?

Pretty sure each analog track has an A to D converter for overbridge, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if there wasnā€™t some other reason why base/width filters are impossible to add. It would be great is an elektron employee could provide some clarity.

4 Likes