That Syntakt Sound

SY Swarm is pretty fun to use with lots of animation and spread as a background texture with lots of hi-pass filtering.

1 Like

While analog and digital synthesis are equally lovely in my opinion, you donā€™t go to the trouble of building an analog signal path, to then convert it to hell and back. Sure, record it digitally, have a digital wet effects loop, but the dry signal should be analog to the output. Otherwise, thereā€™s not much reason to not just go full DSP to begin with.

Iā€™m not a purist. I like hybrid solutions, but IMO care should always be taken to make the most of the circuitry. Analog does have many advantages where many parts of the signal are concerned.

One could do conversions mid-path, and with likely no loss, but I think that could end up being more expensive than adding more analog circuits.

1 Like

While in general I share the sentiments, I donā€™t know if itā€™s quite this dichotomous. Perhaps itā€™s better to say that you should have a pretty good reason to convert A->D. Digital effects is such a reason, but you point out that thereā€™s no reason to alter the dry signal. I donā€™t know if a basewidth filter is a sufficient reason for such a conversion. Since Syntakt is predominantly digital, it may not make much of a difference. A more interesting case is AH+FX, where the flexibility in chaining means there can be four conversions as opposed to none for the earlier AH models. It might be interesting for someone to run some double-blind listening tests (is that a mixed metaphor?). I think the strongest case for analog is much earlier in the chain, at oscillator and primary filter.

like it was mentioned, swarm and raw are awesome, too. this is all SY bits: SYNTAKT Sy Bits does it all - Space Theremin, Industrial, Gabber, Acid - YouTube

re: the other theme, i tend to think that manufacturers try to keep complete analogue signal paths where possible only to cater to the beliefs of purists :wink:

3 Likes

I might be wrong but I believe with the heat+FX you can only put the analog stuff at the start or end of the chain, not somewhere in the middle, so I think there is still only one A to D and one D to A.

On the AH+FX you can put the analog section (distortion, filter, eq) anywhere in the signal chain, so also between two digital effects.

4 Likes

he does cool stuff

14 Likes

it sounds mushy because it has a lot of tracks and very little mixing capabilities. by using the base-width filters and the mixer carefully, as well as not sending everything in the reverb, it can sound quite good.

3 Likes

I think it is very versatile, both for melodic ā€VAā€things as well as chiptune. And SY SWARM is great to make fat wide things. Made some eight-voice polyphonic noodling here, for instance: New Machines for your machine - #137 by ThomasJ

2 Likes

Shot with Google Pixel camera directly with USB Audio. Sounds muddy. Some sounds are really roomy, some are crisp. Thatā€™s the thing when analog and digital sound together in one box. Or it would be actually better to record in Ableton and process properly.

2 Likes

There is everything in this box to make proper mixed tracks. I remember I commented on this before, but I believe there is something wrong with your setup. Everything sounds like some kind of ā€œfakeā€ stereo effect was added, including the kick.

6 Likes

record it into ableton instead. Iā€™ve a pixel as well, wouldnā€™t be recording into it myself tho. itā€™s just as easy to usb the syntakt into yer laptop.

1 Like

Is there some kind of noise reduction or other effect/process you can toggle in settings?

1 Like

Through my laptop, it sounds like youā€™ve got room sound mixed in with the USB sound. Might it be recording both stereo pairs at the same time?

Also, I like the chord sequence and the sound palette :+1:t2:.

2 Likes

That is because they have no brillant and jummie high end. I assume we talk about CY Alloy. The idea is fantastic, the sonic result meh.

1 Like

Considering the Syntakt has four analog mono synths that sound gnarly AF inside makes it even more rediculous that people look down on it. Syntakt is awesome.
Only the analog tracks:

28 Likes

I was already sold on the Syntakt but I wonā€™t be able to get one until later this year because of other priorities. You are making it really hard not to sell a kidney or 2 to speed up the process a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Very nice!!

I completely agree. The amount of tracks and sonic possibilities this thing gives us is quite ridiculous :heart:

5 Likes

What is that controller? Looks awesome/useful

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the AtoVproject - 16n. It comes in black and silver and also does CV. Bought it at Schneidersladen :wink:

7 Likes