That Syntakt Sound

Oh, thank you! I don’t have anything against an artificial sound, as long as it carries those characteristics of real hihats I enjoy. And it’s important how it sounds in a mix (and my music is dense industrial stuff), and those do sound great. By time I’ll make a comparison and then decide if this volca drum will remain in the hihat role or get another role :wink:

1 Like

Syntakt: 7th Dub of 7th Dub
Tracks: BD modern sound = kick + snare/rim, UT noise HH/shaker, SY Dual VCO Bass, CC Alloy HH, SY Chord, Sy Toy (Xylophone/Glockenspiel).

Bass + UT Noise through FX - the rest clean. Playing with LFO Delay + Filters

4 pattern chain loop, no post processing - Stereo in to Studio One + raise the volume a little before Mp3 mixdown,

Just testing different stuff + trying to see if odd meters are doable without too much hassle.

18 Likes

After some time with the Syntakt, would you guys say that it lends itself more to a specific style/sound/genre? Or would you say it is very flexible and could produce anything with enough tweaking?

The latter!

2 Likes

This!

1 Like

Hear for yourself:

3 Likes

You could score a David Lynch or Wim Wenders film with that track. Love the trumpet sounds, too! Got any place to check out more of your music or clips?

I wouldn’t say anything, but so much more than the demos are showing off.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for the great feedback. I’ve been having a long break from making music, so these tracks on elektronauts (I’ve posted 3 different (test)tracks in these forums) are the only ones available at the moment. Hopefully I’ll get more into music production now the upcoming period. I’ll let you know. It’s really nice to hear that you liked the piece - gives inspiration to continue exploring

1 Like

I’d say it can do anything out of the box, including the sweet fringes like Noise, Industrial and Ambient.

6 Likes

It can produce anything. Like most instruments, it depends on the player.

2 Likes

Is this Syntakt only?

Might have been a bit of Analog Heat on it, can’t remember.

I’ve gotta say after a week with the ST, I’m super impressed. It might be the overall best sounding Elektron I’ve used, and as a self-contained groovebox/workstation it feels the most complete.

I was hesitant about the whole simplified “machines” approach at first, but @AdamJay and others convinced me to give it a go… and even with streamlined parameters there are so many sweetspots to modulate and p-lock that it’s incredibly powerful. Plus the FX track is a serious tool for sound design and adds another level of production to the whole package… just blown away by it.

16 Likes

This is very encouraging. What other Elektrons have you owned/used?

All of them, except the MD and MnM.

1 Like

This is totally what I’m all about and it’s also what I teach my students, stick with a few instruments, learn them inside and out and find your own sonic signature and voice. The artist you mentioned are great examples of that.

7 Likes

Maybe it’s just my preference, but it seems to lend itself well to the digidub / dub techno sound, as well as a LoFi house / micro house type thing, but also I think any electronic style can be catered for.
It pairs well with something like Koala on my iPad for sample goodness to take it to the next level

1 Like